Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 282

Thread: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

  1. #201
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    We're talking about a 9th grader who is new to the area, 3 months I believe, from a different country. You expect her to report this activity to the cops? I don't think you understand teenagers at all.
    I expect her to report this activity to her parents who should then go to the cops. I know I would be going to the cops, and I know my parents would have done the same thing had I reported someone physically assaulting me.

  2. #202
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    We're talking about a 9th grader who is new to the area, 3 months I believe, from a different country. You expect her to report this activity to the cops? I don't think you understand teenagers at all.
    I know, right?! Because I popped out of cabbage patch already grow'd up!



    She could have told her mother, who could then have told the cops. Plus, if they beat her up, you don't think her mom would have noticed the bruising?

  3. #203
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I know, right?! Because I popped out of cabbage patch already grow'd up!

    She could have told her mother, who could then have told the cops. Plus, if they beat her up, you don't think her mom would have noticed the bruising?
    No. I just don't think you're aware of how this works, for whatever reason. You seem to have no empathy at all for what this bullying did to this poor girl emotionally. Peer pressure and the desire of teenagers to be accepted can trump all logic. Teens don't think parents were ever young, can understand what they're going thru or can help. She could have done a lot of things. She didn't. So what? Her parents did talk to the school and the school did ****. And no, the parents may not have seen any bruises. After all, they probably haven't seen their daughter naked for quite some time.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  4. #204
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    No. I just don't think you're aware of how this works, for whatever reason. You seem to have no empathy at all for what this bullying did to this poor girl emotionally.
    Empathy for her emotional distress is irrelevant to whether or not the "bullies" should be prosecuted. And that IS what we're talking about. I discount her emotional problems because they have no bearing on the futures of the other kids in question.

  5. #205
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Empathy for her emotional distress is irrelevant to whether or not the "bullies" should be prosecuted.
    It seems the prosecutor disagrees with you. And the judge may also when it comes time for sentencing those a-holes.

    And that IS what we're talking about. I discount her emotional problems because they have no bearing on the futures of the other kids in question.
    That is one of the issues we're talking about. You being able to "discount her emotional problems" is sad.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  6. #206
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    It seems the prosecutor disagrees with you. And the judge may also when it comes time for sentencing those a-holes.
    Hopefully not. Since hurting someone's feelings isn't against the law. I cross my fingers that the judge has a brain.


    That is one of the issues we're talking about. You being able to "discount her emotional problems" is sad.
    I discount them in the context of the discussion we're having regarding the futures of the other kids. Her emotional problems are not the issue, therefore they need to be eliminated from any discussion OF the issue.

    Hurting someone's feelings isn't against the law, nor should it be.

    If they physically assaulted her, then they should be punished for that act. But no teenager should have a permanent criminal record for hurting someone's feelings.

  7. #207
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,885

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Courtesy
    You are confusing behavior with emotion. Folks may have control over the behaviors that could result from their emotions, but they cannot control those emotions, themselves. When you combine clinical depression, a chemical imbalance, with the impulsivity and over emotionality of adolescence you have a strong potential for behaviors like this.

    Also, different people are hard-wired differently and also have different experiences from which to assess a situation. That is why two people can have different reactions to the same scenario.

    Finally, bullying is bullying. Her response is irrelevant
    Emotions are what we cannot consciously control that filters through our mental structures. Because we can change those mental structures, we can to a degree control our emotions.

    Moreover, emotions have more in common with sensory input than conscious thought, in that we have the choice to either recognize and accept those emotions or to ignore them and not allow them to get the best of us. Our mind is structured in such a way that, while we have limited control over our emotions, we do have a choice on how we deal with them.

    Essentially I guess I am agreeing with your first paragraph, but that doesn't in my opinion touch on what I am saying, really. You've made some claims that I agree with, and that I think were implied in my post that you quoted, but towards the end you go on discussing the "strong potential". I understand that if we take humans in their normal state, which is generally not conscious of their mental faculties and the power that their mind can have over their emotions, we can draw conclusions about how people will act in certain situations, and of course having depression is going to increase the probability of suicide in that case. However, that's irrelevant to my point.

    As for the "hard wired" thing, I don't think that's really accurate. I think that people develop these mental structures throughout their lives, and that some are more entrenched and difficult to change than others, but that in the long run they are all malleable to conscious will, and so I disagree with the idea of "hard wiring".
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  8. #208
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I expect her to report this activity to her parents who should then go to the cops. I know I would be going to the cops, and I know my parents would have done the same thing had I reported someone physically assaulting me.
    Actually though, there are a lot of cops who will just say that it is kids being kids. I know, because my mother took me to the police station when the girl hit me in the back of the head as we were getting off the bus. We were both in high school. The policewoman took the report, but told us that there wasn't really anything they can do because we are teenagers. Now this was over 14 years ago, but that is kind of why this case is so important. It needs to show people that teenagers should not be allowed to bully other teenagers just because they are at this age. They won't be allowed to legally do these things as adults, so why should we allow it while they are teenagers? And I am talking about the physical assaults and the harassment, not the name calling and what most people would consider teasing on a small scale.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #209
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually though, there are a lot of cops who will just say that it is kids being kids. I know, because my mother took me to the police station when the girl hit me in the back of the head as we were getting off the bus. We were both in high school. The policewoman took the report, but told us that there wasn't really anything they can do because we are teenagers. Now this was over 14 years ago, but that is kind of why this case is so important. It needs to show people that teenagers should not be allowed to bully other teenagers just because they are at this age. They won't be allowed to legally do these things as adults, so why should we allow it while they are teenagers? And I am talking about the physical assaults and the harassment, not the name calling and what most people would consider teasing on a small scale.
    I have been agreeing with almost all your posts in this thread. I hope the kids in this case suffer tremendously from their disgusting behavior. Karma's a bitch.

    Gosh, roguenuke, I don't like how they were able to convince your mother that nothing could be done. Someone hitting you on the back of the head is battery, and by golly, they (the police) should have done something about it. This BS about you all being teenagers was a bogus piece of BS. I'm sorry your mother didn't think about taking it to this police officer's supervisor. I know I would.

  10. #210
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Hopefully not. Since hurting someone's feelings isn't against the law. I cross my fingers that the judge has a brain.




    I discount them in the context of the discussion we're having regarding the futures of the other kids. Her emotional problems are not the issue, therefore they need to be eliminated from any discussion OF the issue.

    Hurting someone's feelings isn't against the law, nor should it be.

    If they physically assaulted her, then they should be punished for that act. But no teenager should have a permanent criminal record for hurting someone's feelings.
    You just refuse to see the difference in "hurting someone's feelings" and actually causing emotional damage. Calling someone a name once or twice can hurt their feelings, calling them names for 3 months straight along with putting those names up in several places, stalking someone, and threatening them is not just going to hurt their feelings, it is going to cause emotional damage.

    Emotional damage caused by these teenage bullies is the issue. There is no proof that she had any major emotional problems at all before they started harassing her. What you could endure emotionally as a teenager is not the same as what someone else can endure emotionally as a teenager, with or without any major emotional problems.

    Would you say that a parent who is constantly putting their teenager down is just hurting their kid's feelings, or would they be causing emotional damage? Where is the point when the parent would be considered to be actually doing emotional damage, after one comment, ten, a month's worth, or would it actually take years? In fact, most people consider it abuse when one spouse is doing the things that they did to her, to their spouse.

    Also, we have to look at who can be likely to cause emotional damage, especially to a teenager. Some random person just calling a teenager derogatory names is less likely to actually cause the teenager any emotional distress than her peers would be calling her those names, especially when the girl in question had been in some sort of relationship with two of those "peers". And these bullies weren't just calling her names. According to the reports, they were stalking her and threatening her.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •