Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 282

Thread: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

  1. #151
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    If you are found guilty of statutory rape you are placed on sex offender lists and deemed a "rapist". The social consequences are equal to that of someone that violently raped someone.
    I looked recently at the sex offender list in my town. Surprising number of people, not one listed as rape. Criminal sexual conduct is the term used.

    By the way, a town of 10k people should not have over 100 people on a sex offender list, that is kinda scarey.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #152
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    It means someone older than 18 having consensual sex with someone younger than 18 in most states, including the one we're talking about.
    Yes, I know what it means. It is also not the term used by the courts, at least not here.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #153
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Gonna have to define harrass. Gonna have to tell me *specifically* what they were doing.

    If they were hitting her, then yes... it's assault.

    If they were just calling her names and posting things online? Then no. It's absolute bull****.
    Here's a few for you:

    harassment legal definition of harassment. harassment synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

    harassment (either harris-meant or huh-rass-meant) n. the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands. The purposes may vary, including racial prejudice, personal malice, an attempt to force someone to quit a job or grant sexual favors, apply illegal pressure to collect a bill, or merely gain sadistic pleasure from making someone fearful or anxious.
    Harassment-A legal definition
    http://www.life123.com/career-money/...rassment.shtml
    http://www.mass.gov/courts/courtsand...harassment.pdf
    Legal Definition of Criminal Harassment

    So, lets see, 9 students, at least, were specifically targeting another student for 4-5 months before she killed herself (from all evidence the harassment would have continued beyond that, considering they were technically still harassing her after she was found dead). Name calling, phone calls, abuse at school, messages on online social pages directed at her, following her in a car to call her names and/or throw stuff at her. This all sounds like harassment to me. From just those few links I gave, if this were adults, and this would have happened at work she could have easily sued, and the employers (school staff in this case I guess) could have been held liable as well.
    From the accounts, it also fits the definition of criminal harassment as well, since it is reasonable that their actions could cause emotional distress and she definitely had reason to be concerned about her safety.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #154
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    I don't care about the legal definitions. It's mostly a bunch of hooey anyway. It's far too broad a definition and, IMO, yet another bull**** charge used by people who want the government to handle their personal lives for them when they're unable to do it themselves.

    I meant, what did THEY specifically do.

    So, lets see, 9 students, at least, were specifically targeting another student for 4-5 months before she killed herself (from all evidence the harassment would have continued beyond that, considering they were technically still harassing her after she was found dead). Name calling, phone calls, abuse at school, messages on online social pages directed at her, following her in a car to call her names and/or throw stuff at her. This all sounds like harassment to me. From just those few links I gave, if this were adults, and this would have happened at work she could have easily sued, and the employers (school staff in this case I guess) could have been held liable as well.
    From the accounts, it also fits the definition of criminal harassment as well, since it is reasonable that their actions could cause emotional distress and she definitely had reason to be concerned about her safety.
    LOL Then most folks are harassed pretty frequently.

  5. #155
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Yes, it is. However there is no evidence that the physical assult directly lead to the death. It doesn't fit your example. In your example the physical assult actually directly led to the death, albiet due to the metal plate in the head. In this case, it didn't. You could say it contributed to the emotional state that caused her to hang herself, but ultimately it was her choices based on her emotional state that did it, not the can.

    If the can of red bull hit her, she fell back into a noose, and became hung...then sure, your egg shell thing works. if the can of red bull hit her, caused her to bleed, and she had a condition of unclotting blood and died from that, then it'd work. But there's no direct link between the assualt and the death.
    I see your point. I wasn't saying that they could be charged with her death based on the facts of this case. I just wanted to point out that just because a victim suffers severe consequences that wouldn't happen in most cases does not mean that the defendant can't be chargedf with causing the severe consequences.

  6. #156
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I looked recently at the sex offender list in my town. Surprising number of people, not one listed as rape. Criminal sexual conduct is the term used.

    By the way, a town of 10k people should not have over 100 people on a sex offender list, that is kinda scarey.
    If I flash my tits at someone, I could be put on a sex offender list. Those lists are pretty useless.

  7. #157
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    After reading the article in the OP and the one MCnoSpin posted, I wanted to find out more about the case so I did a search on Google news. I was especially interested in finding out if her parents were aware of the situation. So far the only one I found was in the NY Daily News where they mention that the mother asked the school twice to do something about what her daughter was going through.

    It's in an article where the mother of one of the girls charged with harrassing Phoebe was trying to defend her daughter's behavior by claiming that Phoebe started it. Which, if true, is interesting in and of itself because she's generally being portrayed as someone who silently endured the abuse.

    Here's the article:

    In Massachusetts, public anger was turning from the Mean Girls - so mean they left vicious comments on Phoebe's Facebook memorial page - to the teachers who repeatedly failed to protect Phoebe, but were not charged criminally.

    District Attorney Elizabeth Scheibel said Phoebe's persecution was "common knowledge" at the school, and even witnessed by teachers, who said nothing.

    Her mother had twice asked school officials to help put a stop to her daughter's misery, Schiebel said.

    The day she killed herself, a teacher saw kids harassing Phoebe in the school library - but said nothing until after the suffering girl's body was found hanging in her home.

    The district attorney called the failure of adults at the school to stop the harassment "troublesome," but not criminal.


    Read more: Mom of teen charged with bullying South Hadley H.S. student Phoebe Prince into suicide blames victim
    I am just not getting the impression that the mother did very much to help her daughter.

    As for the mother of one of the girls charged, I am just so glad my parents cared enough to teach me about being a decent human being. This girl's mother makes me sick. I hope she is having to spend some serious dough on her child's defense.

  8. #158
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I don't care about the legal definitions. It's mostly a bunch of hooey anyway. It's far too broad a definition and, IMO, yet another bull**** charge used by people who want the government to handle their personal lives for them when they're unable to do it themselves.

    I meant, what did THEY specifically do.



    LOL Then most folks are harassed pretty frequently.
    i don't think so. teasing is one thing, stalking and harassment are different. i think it's too bad she or her parents didn't go to the police.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #159
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i don't think so. teasing is one thing, stalking and harassment are different. i think it's too bad she or her parents didn't go to the police.
    I know. I do not understand this. But I am a passionate person, and I would have done whatever it took to put a stop to this including escorting my child to and from school and even sitting with her during classes.

  10. #160
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Nine Charged in Bullying of Massachusetts Teen Who Killed Herself

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I don't care about the legal definitions. It's mostly a bunch of hooey anyway. It's far too broad a definition and, IMO, yet another bull**** charge used by people who want the government to handle their personal lives for them when they're unable to do it themselves.

    I meant, what did THEY specifically do.



    LOL Then most folks are harassed pretty frequently.
    Okay, so what should she have done to "fight back" against the bullying she was receiving from at least 9 students, in your opinion? What were her options to deal with this intimidating environment? And I am not even taking into account her committing suicide, because, as I've said before, I believe these charges should have come long before she got to that point.

    Also, what would you consider "harassment"?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •