Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 57

Thread: Man charged with threatening to kill Cantor and his family

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Man charged with threatening to kill Cantor and his family

    Since the Cantor story has been all over the media, that pretty much flushes Sarah Palin's screaching about 'fair and balanced' down the toilet.

    I hope they throw the book at anyone who threatens a congressman.

  2. #32
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Feds: Philly Man Threatened GOP Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    I disagree, the issue you bring forth has never fully be resolved by the Supreme Court after the civil war in which Texas had to be readmitted to the union. There may not be specific language in the Texas constitution but article one is clear in it's intentions. That said, there is no clear definition or condition in the U.S. constitution in regards to annexation of Texas. This argument has never been resolved, therefor according to the Texas constitution we could take a default position acknowledging this right.
    You can disagree all you like but it doesnt make you correct. Article 1 is very clear in that Texas is subject to the Constitution of the United States. There is no mechanism for secession in the US Constitution. Furthermore the supreme court did address this contrary to what you stated in Texas V White 1869. The supreme court ruled that Texas remained apart of the union since it first joined regardless of it joining the confederacy. The court also held the US Constitution does not permit the states the right to secede. Your argument holds no weight under the US Constitution. Try reading the Joint Resolution of 1845 for better clarity on the annexation of Texas

  3. #33
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: Feds: Philly Man Threatened GOP Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Do you think it incites to violence that democrats (including Obama) are accusing insurance companies of willfully causing the death of many people and accusing republicans of being on the side of the insurance companies?

    Or when Alan Grayson basically says that the republicans beleive all the sick should just up and die?
    Lack of affordable insurance or denials of treatment by insurance corporations accounted for 45,000 unnecessary deaths in the last year. That's not an "accusation", that's a statement of fact. And yes, Republicans are quite clearly doing the bidding of the insurance corporations, as are some Democrats.

    How exactly can anything Rep Grayson has said be twisted into a call for violence? Please quote the exact words and how you arrived at such a completely erroneous conclusion. Thanks.
    Last edited by The Uncola; 03-30-10 at 10:01 AM. Reason: It's early.

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Feds: Philly Man Threatened GOP Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    Lack of affordable insurance or denials of treatment by insurance corporations accounted for 45,000 unnecessary deaths in the last year. That's not an "accusation", that's a statement of fact. And yes, Republicans are quite clearly doing the bidding of the insurance corporations, as are some Democrats.
    I am sure you mean lack of “affordable health care” has led to the “unnecessary deaths” you describe. I know Obama wants to blame insurance companies, but let’s at least be honest here. There are many reasons health care is as expensive as it is, very few of which will be solved by this bill. Insurance companies are simply following the contracts they have with the client. If the client lies on a contract and that lie is material to the issuance of that contract, the contract is void. It’s really simple contract law. It’s fine to pass legislation outlawing that, but that will only lead to higher insurance premiums. So, you’re main complaint will not be solved. I don’t believe you really expect insurance companies to add all these benefits (no pre-ex denials, no recissions, cover “kids” long after they are adults) and not have to charge more premium just to break even.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    How exactly can anything Rep Grayson has said be twisted into a call for violence? Please quote the exact words and how you arrived at such a completely erroneous conclusion. Thanks.
    Because there is a certain segment of the population that will take to heart Grayson's statement that republicans want the sick to die. There are people that will take to heart Obama’s suggestion that insurance companies are evil and extend it to republicans (like you did). There are people that will essentially begin a lynch mob to go after bank executives that receive bonuses they are legally entitled to enflamed by statements of certain democrats. The executives were so fearful for their lives that many had to buy guns for self defense.

  5. #35
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: Man charged with threatening to kill Cantor and his family

    In a recent speech in Philadelphia President Obama said the Dems should bring a gun to a knife fight in regards to health care legislation. I wonder if this left wingnut from Phili, Norman Leboon took the presidents words to heart?

    Was the president inciting people to violence?
    Last edited by SgtRock; 03-30-10 at 02:50 PM.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  6. #36
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Man charged with threatening to kill Cantor and his family

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    In a recent speech in Philadelphia President Obama said the Dems should bring a gun to a knife fight in regards to health care legislation. I wonder if this left wingnut from Phili, Norman Leboon took the presidents words to heart?

    Was the president inciting people to violence?
    Bringing a gun to a knife fight is a common expression. It doesnt mean what you try to pait as. As for Norman Leboon being a lefty he also threatened President Obama in his videos.

    Norman Leboon, a Threatening Kind of Guy The Washington Independent

    Besides Obama and Cantor he threatened movie studios over the movie Babe. He threatened Federal Judges and David Duke. There doesnt seem to be much rhyme or reason to his rants.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Feds: Philly Man Threatened GOP Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Really you need that one answered for you? I could remember one of the bloodiest events of our history had to do with secession.

    Secession is an unamerican concept.

    LOL.

    The states seceeded. Then the federal Union government came down and started some **** acting like they still owned these states. Then they fought for their independence and lost.

    So, how is secession violent?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #38
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Feds: Philly Man Threatened GOP Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    LOL.

    The states seceeded. Then the federal Union government came down and started some **** acting like they still owned these states. Then they fought for their independence and lost.

    So, how is secession violent?
    Oh I get it you're of the belief that the civil war was the North's war of aggression. The states never had a right to secede under our constitution. The federal union didnt come down and started ****. The confederates attacked fort sumter which was under federal control. Secession led to violence. What is American about seceding from America?

  9. #39
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Feds: Philly Man Threatened GOP Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Oh I get it you're of the belief that the civil war was the North's war of aggression. The states never had a right to secede under our constitution. The federal union didnt come down and started ****. The confederates attacked fort sumter which was under federal control. Secession led to violence. What is American about seceding from America?

    Quote me where I stated it is American to secede and maybe you would have a point.

    There is nothing inherently violent about seceding, that is my point.

    You claim that the suggestion of seceding is violent because of the example of the civil war.


    So by your logic, It is violent to wear red because of street gang violence associated with that color.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #40
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Man charged with threatening to kill Cantor and his family

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    Bringing a gun to a knife fight is a common expression. It doesnt mean what you try to pait as. As for Norman Leboon being a lefty he also threatened President Obama in his videos.

    Norman Leboon, a Threatening Kind of Guy The Washington Independent

    Besides Obama and Cantor he threatened movie studios over the movie Babe. He threatened Federal Judges and David Duke. There doesnt seem to be much rhyme or reason to his rants.
    So then the guy is clearly a nut? Well I am glad whatever he was planning he wasn't able to fulfill and that he rest safely behind bars for a while.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •