Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

  1. #21
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    It's the Commander in Chief's prerogative to visit US troops whenever he chooses. Perhaps he'll call you next time to get your approval.

    Personally, I'm glad he went. Regardless of how I feel about his politics, he's showing the troops enough respect to visit them when they're deployed in combat areas. That's good enough for me.
    As commander in chief, it's his call to go, but it should never be for political purposes. This was for political purposes, as he had no reason to be there right now.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    As commander in chief, it's his call to go, but it should never be for political purposes. This was for political purposes, as he had no reason to be there right now.
    Why do you say that?
    Politically, it seems his agenda would be better served by staying right here and continuing the try to sell the public on this health care thing.
    It also seemed that if it was all a PR move, he wouldn't have gone unannounced.

  3. #23
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    As commander in chief, it's his call to go, but it should never be for political purposes. This was for political purposes, as he had no reason to be there right now.
    The President is a politician, so any trip like this can always be interpreted to be for political purposes. As for "no reason to be there right now", says who?
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    It's the Commander in Chief's prerogative to visit US troops whenever he chooses. Perhaps he'll call you next time to get your approval.

    Personally, I'm glad he went. Regardless of how I feel about his politics, he's showing the troops enough respect to visit them when they're deployed in combat areas. That's good enough for me.
    I'd be more upset if a CinC was to have our troops wage war and not take the time and risk to go over there, even if for a little bit and under heavy security. It's symbolic that he believes enough in the effort to go over there himself. It does mean something, its not just an empty gesture. I give Obama a thumbs up for this move.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  5. #25
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,877
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    As commander in chief, it's his call to go, but it should never be for political purposes. This was for political purposes, as he had no reason to be there right now.
    he's a politician first and foremost, everything he does is for political purposes, if he goes to a war zone, its to show to the voters he supports the troops, if he scratches his nose, its carefully rehearsed before and only done to show support to the nose scratchers association of america.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  6. #26
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    I'd be more upset if a CinC was to have our troops wage war and not take the time and risk to go over there, even if for a little bit and under heavy security. It's symbolic that he believes enough in the effort to go over there himself. It does mean something, its not just an empty gesture. I give Obama a thumbs up for this move.
    I am a liberal, a lifelong democrat. Yet, one of the highlights of my time in the Arabian(Persian) gulf was when Dan Quayle came out to visit us on the boat. It does not matter who it is, it makes you feel good to be visited by your leaders.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #27
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    As commander in chief, it's his call to go, but it should never be for political purposes. This was for political purposes, as he had no reason to be there right now.
    It could be, though I suspect it's more likely that this is the time he can go. His schedule is kinda busy.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #28
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    I wonder if President Obama is preparing the ground for the next major push, the battle of Kandahar.
    I gave my reason why I think President Obama is visiting Afghanistan. It wasn't political, at least in the sense of domestic politics. Nor was the OP intended to present anything but accepted facts: Obama didn't start these wars, but he's waging them, each in his own way.

    American forces never lost a battle in Vietnam; I am sure American forces don't intend to lose the battle of Kandahar; but, in a very real sense, neither can they win it.

    President Obama is traveling to Afghanistan to assure that the Afghani government is properly committed to winning the battle of Kandahar. We want them to own that victory because it'll mean our work there is nearly done.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  9. #29
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    He doesn't have to fight the wars. Just bring all the troops home right now like the libs wanted during Bush's admin. Interesting how they don't want that anymore...
    You don't know us very well....do you?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #30
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Obama makes unannounced trip to Afghanistan

    All of this is political window dressing Obama is not even conducting this so-called war. Karsai is being allowed to dictate rules of engagement that are holding progress and costing American lives.

    Obama will do only what he has to in and effort to keep up the phony front until he has his way and the Constitution is trashed and he can declare his Socialist/Marxist victory with him as the Dictator in Chief.

    Obama gives lip service to defeating the Taliban, and I don't trust him at all. He has been shown to lie too much.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •