Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office

  1. #1
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office

    Looks like O'keefe was telling the truth about why they were there and the prosecutors jumped the gun with with the felony charges, Opps!

    I guess this will cause a few more tears to be shed by the people at the criminal enterprise known as ACORN.


    Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office | National news | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

    NEW ORLEANS — Federal prosecutors filed reduced charges Friday against conservative activist James O'Keefe and three others who were accused of trying to tamper with the phones in Sen. Mary Landrieu's New Orleans office.

    The new charges are contained in a bill of information, which can only be filed with a defendant's consent and typically signals a plea deal. The new filing charges videographer the four with entering a federal building under false pretenses, a misdemeanor. They had been arrested Jan. 25 on felony charges.

    O'Keefe, a videographer famous for wearing a pimp costume in a stunt that embarrassed the ACORN community organizing group, has said the group was trying to investigate complaints that constituents calling Landrieu's office couldn't get through to criticize her support of a health care reform bill.

  2. #2
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office

    What really annoys me is that news organizations are still saying he was "dressed like a pimp" in the now-infamous videos. The media still hasn't managed to pick up on the fact that the videos were edited to show something that didn't happen.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #3
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    What really annoys me is that news organizations are still saying he was "dressed like a pimp" in the now-infamous videos. The media still hasn't managed to pick up on the fact that the videos were edited to show something that didn't happen.
    Were you there? Or are you just going on ACORN's statements, sorry, but I trust an independent journalist more than a corrupt community organization ATM.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #4
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    What really annoys me is that news organizations are still saying he was "dressed like a pimp" in the now-infamous videos. The media still hasn't managed to pick up on the fact that the videos were edited to show something that didn't happen.
    LOL What didn't happen? This should be good
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  5. #5
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office

    The OP spins the reduced misdemeanor charges, a plea deal, as “the prosecutors jumped the gun with with the felony charges” initially. I think that is false.

    Let's face it, the interest of justice and the state, was not in pinning felony convictions on these four perpetrators, it was in assuring that they and anybody like them understood that what they did was against the law.

    The state avoided a lengthy, expensive trial and the defendants avoided the considerable risks of long term incarceration. Such are the nature of plea deals.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  6. #6
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    The OP spins the reduced misdemeanor charges, a plea deal, as “the prosecutors jumped the gun with with the felony charges” initially. I think that is false.
    That isn't the same subject. You said you were annoyed at the fact he was "dressed like a pimp" and that the video was cut a certain way because it "didn't happen"

    Clearly you are referring to the Aacorn videos so I ask again, what "didn't happen"?

    Let's face it, the interest of justice and the state, was not in pinning felony convictions on these four perpetrators, it was in assuring that they and anybody like them understood that what they did was against the law.
    Let's face it. The charges were bogus and only now after the political story is over do we get the truth.

    The state avoided a lengthy, expensive trial and the defendants avoided the considerable risks of long term incarceration. Such are the nature of plea deals.
    And you have zero evidence that is the reason why and not because since the beginning, we knew felony charges were never supported and what the young man said they were doing there in reality is now conveniently reflected in the charges.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #7
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Were you there? Or are you just going on ACORN's statements, sorry, but I trust an independent journalist more than a corrupt community organization ATM.
    I trust the full transcript from said "independent journalist."

    And the police who reviewed it with the same conclusion that I reached.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    LOL What didn't happen? This should be good
    I've been over this a thousand times already, so I'll summarize:

    1) Pimp never dressed as a pimp in the ACORN offices. He went in in slacks and a tie or something

    2) Pimp was actually presented as the girl's boyfriend, not her pimp.

    3) The house they were trying to get a loan for was actually presented as an escape from prostitution (and an abusive pimp), both for the girl and for the underage girls talked about later. An escape from child prostitution, not a haven for it.

    4) Tax lady did not help the girl evade taxes, she in fact explicitly advised her to always declare income from any source. Even an illegal source. (the IRS is not tasked with investigating or prosecuting the sex trade)

    5) The segments of video that showed the above were all edited out of the released video
    Last edited by Deuce; 03-27-10 at 03:10 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #8
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    That isn't the same subject. …
    You're confused.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    … The charges were bogus and only now after the political story is over do we get the truth. …
    People don't plea guilty to misdemeanor charges lightly. Typically in plea deals it's because they are lowering their risks of far more severe penalties that could be assigned by an expensive criminal trial over more severe charges. The prosecution didn't see the value in that trial or those penalties, so both sides interests in avoiding it were served.

    And, if the felony charges were so bogus and political as you claim, don't you think that someone like O'Keefe would have relished fighting them in court? I do. But, of course, we know his answer now: “Guilty.”
    Last edited by Chappy; 03-27-10 at 03:13 PM.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  9. #9
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office

    It's a plea bargain! They happen in every single case! It's what defense attorneys do; they get the DAs to reduce the charge in exchange for a guilty plea.

    Did some of you miss the "guilty" part?

    Good grief.

  10. #10
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Charges reduced in phone caper at senator's office

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    You're confused.
    Is that why you cut off the part where I quoted you?

    People don't plea guilty to misdemeanor charges lightly. Typically in plea deals it's because they are lowering their risks of far more severe penalties that could be assigned by an expensive criminal trial over more severe charges. The prosecution didn't see the value in that trial or those penalties, so both sides interests in avoiding it were served.
    All speculation on your part.

    And, if the felony charges were so bogus and political as you claim, don't you think that someone like O'Keefe would have relished fighting them in court? I do. But, of course, we know his answer now: “Guilty.”
    He didn't have to. They dropped them remember?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •