Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Personal income falls 2.5% in California

  1. #1
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Personal income falls 2.5% in California

    Excerpted from “Personal income falls 2.5% in California” By Tom Abate, Chronicle Staff Writer, The San Francisco Chronicle, Friday, March 26, 2010
    Personal income in California fell last year for the first time since the Great Depression, the Commerce Department said Thursday.

    State income plunged even more sharply in 2009 than the similar, historic drop that occurred on a national basis, a notable reversal given that California generally has beaten the national averages throughout the 80-year history of this report.

    Personal income includes wages and salaries, health and pension benefits, rents, dividends and interest, federal payments such as unemployment and Social Security, and just about every form of wealth except stock sales and other capital gains.

    The 2.5 percent drop in statewide personal income works out to $1,527 fewer dollars for every man, woman and child in California.

    The accompanying nationwide drop of 1.7 percent works out to a $1,028 decline in per capita income for all Americans.

    Prior to last year's drop, personal income in California had fallen only five times since 1929, when such record keeping began. All five of those occurrences were during the Depression. …
    California dreamin' no more.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  2. #2
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Personal income falls 2.5% in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    California dreamin' no more.
    And they have to wait for the state refunds, too, because the coffers are empty.

    I was there a couple of weeks ago. People are pissed, scared, and depressed.

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Personal income falls 2.5% in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    And they have to wait for the state refunds, too, because the coffers are empty.

    I was there a couple of weeks ago. People are pissed, scared, and depressed.
    I think a big part of the problem is the way their ballot measures work. Put to vote, people are all for increasing services, but rarely in favor of raising taxes to pay for them. "More parks in X city? Sure, sounds great! Free garbage pickup in all cities? Awesome! Double hiring of police force? Woohoo! INCREASE TAXES .05%? OVER MY DEAD BODY!"

    They vote for all sorts of fun things but never a way for paying for them. Good argument against direct democracy
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Personal income falls 2.5% in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I think a big part of the problem is the way their ballot measures work. Put to vote, people are all for increasing services, but rarely in favor of raising taxes to pay for them. "More parks in X city? Sure, sounds great! Free garbage pickup in all cities? Awesome! Double hiring of police force? Woohoo! INCREASE TAXES .05%? OVER MY DEAD BODY!"

    They vote for all sorts of fun things but never a way for paying for them. Good argument against direct democracy
    A 12.4 percent unemployment rate doesn't help.

    I agree with you that increased city services should require additional taxes, provided that the citizens vote for these taxes and services.

  5. #5
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Personal income falls 2.5% in California

    I agree with you that increased city services should require additional taxes, provided that the citizens vote for these taxes and services.
    The problem is that the citizens vote for services without the taxes. They don't seem to understand that railroads don't materialize out of thin air without somebody putting up money first. Its bad enough that moronic large spending projects get passed in the first place, its worse that we don't pay for them. The only projects on the ballot I have ever seen even think about needed revenue mortgage the future with yet more bonds.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Personal income falls 2.5% in California

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    The problem is that the citizens vote for services without the taxes. They don't seem to understand that railroads don't materialize out of thin air without somebody putting up money first. Its bad enough that moronic large spending projects get passed in the first place, its worse that we don't pay for them. The only projects on the ballot I have ever seen even think about needed revenue mortgage the future with yet more bonds.
    Oh you should even see how the political ads run, too. They vote on all these new services and then the politicians hammer each other for having to vote voodoo budget measures to pay for them.

    It's this huge quagmire that will never be resolved at this point.

  7. #7
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Personal income falls 2.5% in California

    Please make note that State Employees are not actually part of this story. Many law makers have recently given staffers some pretty good raises California is in trouble for a multitude of reasons.

    The Governor is worthless RINO and Obama worshiper and he will not stand up to the Liberals who are controlled by Unions and their donations.

    State workers are lazy and there are way too many of them.

    The State legislature has over the years made the State an anti-business State with laws regulations and taxes that drive business away in an unfriendly atmosphere.

    The PHONY Green movement inhibits business and does nothing but add to the problems. No one will stand up to the environmentally ill and say HELL NO you're all a bunch of lying hypocrites who don't give a damn about anything but making sure there is always something to complain about the those who make big money in these crooked groups can keep rolling in the real green they care about. CASH!

    These are a few of my favorite things, Wrong with my State.

    You can add a school system controlled by people in unions who are doing a bad job of teaching and it's not all their fault. Some of the blame is the schools system run by Liberals some is because of Unions and some is the fault of poorly educated parents who don't spend enough time with or caring about their own children or their education.

    Al this leads to poor performance and bad decisions that lead to what we see today and it's not just in California.

    Those who stand for nothing fall for anything.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Personal income falls 2.5% in California

    California also has the highest income tax and sales tax in the US.

    Gotta love them libs.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Personal income falls 2.5% in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    California also has the highest income tax and sales tax in the US.

    Gotta love them libs.
    I came here from a state with no sales tax and no income tax. I was floored by the fact that I made twice what I made before but brought home about the same.

  10. #10
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Personal income falls 2.5% in California

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I came here from a state with no sales tax and no income tax. I was floored by the fact that I made twice what I made before but brought home about the same.
    What a State...... I got the hell out of there 15 years ago, don't regret it one bit.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •