Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Thread: Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign

    Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign - JSOnline

    The Vatican on Thursday defended its decision not to defrock a Wisconsin priest accused of sexually assaulting as many as 200 deaf boys from the 1950s to the 1970s and denounced what it called a "despicable" attempt to smear Pope Benedict XVI and his aides.

    But Wisconsin advocates for victims of clergy sex abuse suggested the Vatican's handling of the case involving Father Lawrence Murphy - and revelations on similar cases in Europe - provide evidence of an institutional coverup that spanned decades and continents.

    "We are finally able to get this where we believe it belongs, and that's at the Vatican's doorstep," Mark Salmon of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests said at a Thursday morning news conference outside the Archdiocese of Milwaukee's headquarters.

    Murphy is believed to have molested as many as 200 deaf boys in his 25 years at St. John's School for the Deaf in St. Francis, luring many of his victims through the confessional.

    According to documents obtained as part of a civil lawsuit against the Milwaukee Archdiocese, two Wisconsin bishops including then-Archbishop Rembert Weakland urged the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith - led by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Benedict XVI - to allow them to conduct a church trial of Murphy, who had moved to the Superior Diocese and was continuing in ministry.
    ...

    Ratzinger's deputy at the Congregation ruled that the charges were too old and that Murphy, then ailing and elderly, should instead repent and be restricted from celebrating Mass outside of his diocese.

    That deputy, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, now the Vatican's secretary of state, ordered the church trial halted after Murphy wrote Ratzinger saying he was ill and infirm, and "simply want to live out the time that I have left in the dignity of my priesthood."

    Reading the stories of the boys who were abused is horrifying:

    JS Online: Shared secrets reveal much suffering in silence

    What is the Catholic hierarchy concerned about? Clearly, not the victims who suffered in silence and shame.

  2. #2
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign - JSOnline




    Reading the stories of the boys who were abused is horrifying:

    JS Online: Shared secrets reveal much suffering in silence

    What is the Catholic hierarchy concerned about? Clearly, not the victims who suffered in silence and shame.
    part of the reason why i stopped going to catholic church. the whole idea of a pope now repulses me.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #3
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign

    I am a little tired of the media-orchestrated smear campaign against the Church. Yes, there are tragedies and I pray for the victims as well as for the priests who committed them. However, the overwhelming majority of those in the church, from high clergy officials to laypeople are good, honest, hardworking, faithful people who try to live out the values of our faith on a daily basis as best we know how. None of this invaldiates the basic truths taught by the Church for nearly two thousand years. Are there some bad apples? Of course. It is, after all, the world's largest organization. However, the wealth of good that the Church has done mush be considered.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #4
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign

    So the church SHOULD be taking drastic action against the Priests (and others) who perpetrated these crimes in the guise of being of good faith - and IN the church itself. The church should NOT be turning against anyone else but their own.

    Their own are the reason why they're in this hot water - NOT TO FORGET that they, themselves, didn't do much of ANYTHING in reprisal or punishment when these things came to light.

    The church itself is to blame for all it's own damn problems - no one else. The catholic church (meaning - the leaders and orchestrators) are the reason for their own problems, NOT the attendants and NOT the innocent people who were abused and wronged.

    They, right now, aren't acting very goodly, kind or forgiving as they are suppose to be.
    Gee - hypocrites much?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    None of this invaldiates the basic truths taught by the Church for nearly two thousand years. Are there some bad apples? Of course. It is, after all, the world's largest organization. However, the wealth of good that the Church has done mush be considered.
    I call bull****. No one has offered up this argument. Your post represents a strawman.

    What this story DOES potentially invalidate, however, is Pope Benedict's moral authority to lead the Catholic Church. When he knowingly covered up hundred of incidents where priests sexually assaulted children, with victims numbering in the thousands, to protect the reputation of the church, he invalidated his ability to effectively lead the organization and/or compromised the church's ability to transmit religious faith.

    Anyone who wants to plead Benedicts' case and explain how Benedict is able to provide spiritual leadership to millions of people after covering up thousands of instances of victimization of innocent children, please feel free.

    I'll let Jesus Christ speak for me on this one:

    Matthew 18:5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me. 6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
    Exactly how do you believe that Benedict's "leadership," as it were, can recover from the fact that he covered up thousands of felony acts committed against vulnerable children?
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 03-26-10 at 08:54 PM.

  6. #6
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign

    It makes me sad to see the Church like this. Growing up in at a Catholic school I always had great respect for the Church and Pope John Paul II. Seeing how things are handled nowadays makes me upset and lowers the respect I had for the Church. Not Pope John Paul II though, I still believe he was a great man in life.

  7. #7
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Exactly how do you believe that Benedict's "leadership," as it were, can recover from the fact that he covered up thousands of felony acts committed against vulnerable children?
    ALLEGEDLY covered up. I have yet to see any convincing evidence in either English or French that he was actually involved in any kind of cover up. Only accusations and allegations. Nothing more.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #8
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I am a little tired of the media-orchestrated smear campaign against the Church. Yes, there are tragedies and I pray for the victims as well as for the priests who committed them. However, the overwhelming majority of those in the church, from high clergy officials to laypeople are good, honest, hardworking, faithful people who try to live out the values of our faith on a daily basis as best we know how. None of this invaldiates the basic truths taught by the Church for nearly two thousand years. Are there some bad apples? Of course. It is, after all, the world's largest organization. However, the wealth of good that the Church has done mush be considered.
    No one said that the majority of people in Church or of The Church were other than "good, honest, hardworking, faithful people ". Yet when we all know that bad things were done to children by bad priests and then bishops and cardinals did a bad thing - coverd it up it has to come to light. How can the very leaders of the CVhurch who extolled all of us lemming Catholics to attaend church, go to confession and be "moral" were thmselves immoral by covering up the horrific sins of thjose perverts known as gay priests.

    The leaders of the Church need to practice what they preach to us - they need to confess their own failings and the failings of the church and the leaders of the Church. They need to come clean. They need to live by what it says in the Bible - the truth shall set you free. Well bishop boys, arch bishops, cardinals tell the truth. Purge the Church of it's perverts and if you failed and if you covered up the sins of a pervert priests you need to resign- resign now and then GO TO HELL that is where those who hurt children or cover up for filthy disgusting pervert priests belong !!!
    Last edited by F107HyperSabr; 03-26-10 at 09:52 PM.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  9. #9
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    ALLEGEDLY covered up. I have yet to see any convincing evidence in either English or French that he was actually involved in any kind of cover up. Only accusations and allegations. Nothing more.
    Pope Arnold very likely was not personnaly involved in the coverup but there sure as hell was a coverup and amount of lies will make the truth go away.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  10. #10
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Catholic Church accuses abuse victims of smear campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    It makes me sad to see the Church like this. Growing up in at a Catholic school I always had great respect for the Church and Pope John Paul II. Seeing how things are handled nowadays makes me upset and lowers the respect I had for the Church. Not Pope John Paul II though, I still believe he was a great man in life.
    WE WILL NOT SEE AOTHER POPE LIKE HIM IN 2000 years. YET YOU KNOW EVEN HE KNEW THAT THERE WERE PERVERTS IN THE RANKS OF THE PRIESTS !!
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •