Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55

Thread: Ga. governor to name special AG for health lawsuit

  1. #11
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Ga. governor to name special AG for health lawsuit

    I don't know who is going to win this one but to me it just does not seem right in this country to force someone to buy something that they don't want and if they don't to fine them.......
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #12
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Ga. governor to name special AG for health lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Of course they don't have a viable legal claim. The federal government will enforce the health insurance mandate with the federal income tax code. You certainly cannot constitutionally challenge the federal governments ability to create penalties, credits, or deductions in the federal income tax code, thus the states have no case and its all a political stunt.
    Yes you are a gentleman, scholar and a genius !! The staes have challenged the Feds since the mid 1900's and lost mANT TIMES SINCE - tOUCH dOWN FEDS, game over !!!
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  3. #13
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Ga. governor to name special AG for health lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Maybe they should start challenging that, it's wrong to subvert the legal process with taxation.
    something may or may not be wrong but that does not make it illegal. Remember it was once legal to hold slaves and even kill them sinc e you owned them ?? It was wrong, right!!! You know it, ya betcha !!!!
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  4. #14
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: "I absolutely reject that notion!" -- Barry

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    From reading this thread, it appears that it is unconstitutional (according to some interpretations) to force someone to purchase something, but constitutional (according to some interpretations) to fine/tax them if they don't?


    If that makes any sense at all...
    Does that make sense to you? Why would it be illegal for congress to make you buy IBM stock, but perfectly legal for them to say "buy IBM stock or I'll make you pay me a $1000 bucks."

    In other words... illegal to make you buy but legal to compel you.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Ga. governor to name special AG for health lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    something may or may not be wrong but that does not make it illegal. Remember it was once legal to hold slaves and even kill them sinc e you owned them ?? It was wrong, right!!! You know it, ya betcha !!!!
    but to rememeber the last federal legality with slaves in the other time. Where if you owned and the slaves with the mandated actions by the government was not only wrong but cautions against why the federals rule!

    tOUCH dOWN!

  6. #16
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,413

    Re: "I absolutely reject that notion!" -- Barry

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Does that make sense to you? Why would it be illegal for congress to make you buy IBM stock, but perfectly legal for them to say "buy IBM stock or I'll make you pay me a $1000 bucks."

    In other words... illegal to make you buy but legal to compel you.
    If the government gave you a deduction for purchasing stock, then for all intents and purposes, that is a federal mandate to purchase stock.

    The government had a credit for buying a home, thus for all intents and purposes, that is a federal mandate to purchase a home.

    The government had a credit for purchasing a hybrid car, thus for all intents and purposes, that is a federal mandate to buy a hybrid car.

    Do you see how this works? Do you see how futile it will be to challenge a health insurance mandate that is enforced in the federal income tax code?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  7. #17
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Ga. governor to name special AG for health lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    but to rememeber the last federal legality with slaves in the other time. Where if you owned and the slaves with the mandated actions by the government was not only wrong but cautions against why the federals rule!

    tOUCH dOWN!
    what ????? I am going back to Cornell vs Kentucky - makes more sense !! sorry I really do not see what yoou are talking about !!
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  8. #18
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: "I absolutely reject that notion!" -- Barry

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    If the government gave you a deduction for purchasing stock, then for all intents and purposes, that is a federal mandate to purchase stock.

    The government had a credit for buying a home, thus for all intents and purposes, that is a federal mandate to purchase a home.

    The government had a credit for purchasing a hybrid car, thus for all intents and purposes, that is a federal mandate to buy a hybrid car.

    Do you see how this works? Do you see how futile it will be to challenge a health insurance mandate that is enforced in the federal income tax code?
    A better question, I would think, is should it be futile?

    Should the government have the power to "mandate" something by negative or positive incentives?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #19
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: "I absolutely reject that notion!" -- Barry

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    If the government gave you a deduction for purchasing stock, then for all intents and purposes, that is a federal mandate to purchase stock.
    What???

    That's an incentive -- not a mandate. The governement isn't penalizing my decision to not buy stock.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The government had a credit for buying a home, thus for all intents and purposes, that is a federal mandate to purchase a home.

    The government had a credit for purchasing a hybrid car, thus for all intents and purposes, that is a federal mandate to buy a hybrid car.

    Do you see how this works? Do you see how futile it will be to challenge a health insurance mandate that is enforced in the federal income tax code?
    All incentives. The government does not force us to buy homes or hybrids.

    Nobody would be angry if the government were giving us a credit for buying insurance. That was the centerpiece of McCain's healthcare plan for pete's sake!
    Last edited by Taylor; 03-25-10 at 11:45 PM.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Ga. governor to name special AG for health lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    what ?????
    Haha - sorry that's how I felt after reading your posts, so I replied with a bunch of gobbledy-gook. My humor doesn't always make sense, but it was all in jest!

    (go Kentucky, btw!)
    Last edited by Taylor; 03-25-10 at 11:47 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •