Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 383

Thread: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What's different from the usual practice?


    j-mac
    So I should stop following your lead?

  2. #342
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No, because the polls say so.

    Rasmussen Poll

    This health care reform is NOT popular. Many democrats don't want it because it doesnt do what they want and many republicans don't want it because it does too much.

    This health care reform is not popular. I don't give a rat's ass how much stock you put in Obamessiah. This health care reform is simply not popular.
    No the polls say so because of all the nonsense. The Bill is a compromise between what the Special interests want and what Obama wants. Therefore half of it is ****ty and the other half is good. People overwhelming like the good things in it.

  3. #343
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    They should take a poll and ask everyone if they think the bill has "Death Panels" and other crap like that in it. Those who do can be excluded becuase they have no ****ing idea what they're talking about. Then we can count the rest. The positives will go way up.

  4. #344
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    They should take a poll and ask everyone if they think the bill has "Death Panels" and other crap like that in it. Those who do can be excluded becuase they have no ****ing idea what they're talking about. Then we can count the rest. The positives will go way up.
    That would only be useful if they defined exactly what they meant by "death panels"

    I thought it was a ridiculous stupid and trumped up name for a government panel that oversees potential treatments for some people, essentially rationing care, based on some beuracrats paramaters akin to what is done by the insurance agencies but is worse (for example, without the appeals process they have in private insurance).

    That IS in the Bill. I wouldn't call it a "death panel" simply because its idiotic rhetoric, but if asked the question on a poll simply labeling it as "do you think 'death panel's' are in the bill" and what I just stated is how I interprit people meaning when they say "death panels" I would likely vote yes.

  5. #345
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That would only be useful if they defined exactly what they meant by "death panels"
    No definition needed. A death panel is where the government decides who dies. There is nothing even remotely close to such a thing in the law. Despite the idiotic imaginations of some people who don't know how to read legislative language or have paranoid delusions.

    I thought it was a ridiculous stupid and trumped up name for a government panel that oversees potential treatments for some people, essentially rationing care, based on some beuracrats paramaters akin to what is done by the insurance agencies but is worse (for example, without the appeals process they have in private insurance).

    That IS in the Bill.
    No, it's not. But that's another issue.

    I wouldn't call it a "death panel" simply because its idiotic rhetoric, but if asked the question on a poll simply labeling it as "do you think 'death panel's' are in the bill" and what I just stated is how I interprit people meaning when they say "death panels" I would likely vote yes.
    But we can't tell your vote apart from those who really believe the government is going to kill people. So we'd have to change the question to separate idiotic rhetoric from reality.

  6. #346
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No definition needed. A death panel is where the government decides who dies. There is nothing even remotely close to such a thing in the law. Despite the idiotic imaginations of some people who don't know how to read legislative language or have paranoid delusions.
    "Death Panel" is a slogan, trumped up rhetoric meant to simplify something filled with nuance into a short sound bite, and like so often in politics failing miserably in actually being realistically summarized.

    The "Death Panel" talk began essentially around the rationing ideas.

    No, it's not. But that's another issue.
    Yes, it is. I believe its between pages 20 and 30.

    But we can't tell your vote apart from those who really believe the government is going to kill people. So we'd have to change the question to separate idiotic rhetoric from reality.
    Exactly why I said that the question is a stupid one. Because depending on what day of the week someone like me could literally vote "yes" or "no" on it not actually based on the question, but based on rather they want to answer based on the spirit of the question (IE do you think the things people are calling "death panels" are in the bill) or the literal meaning of the bill (IE is there something in the bill actaully called a "death panel" or that you'd call a "death panel").

  7. #347
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    "Death Panel" is a slogan, trumped up rhetoric meant to simplify something filled with nuance into a short sound bite, and like so often in politics failing miserably in actually being realistically summarized.

    The "Death Panel" talk began essentially around the rationing ideas.
    Are you saying there aren't lots and lots of people out there who don't LITERALLY believe there is a panel of government officials who decide who lives and dies out there?

    Yes, it is. I believe its between pages 20 and 30.
    No, it's not. Please quote the language or give me a citation.

    I asked this from a previous poster recently and he never could do it. He kept throwing page numbers and stuff at me, and it just wasn't there. If you have a section number, provide it. I'll explain what the language actually means.

    Exactly why I said that the question is a stupid one. Because depending on what day of the week someone like me could literally vote "yes" or "no" on it not actually based on the question, but based on rather they want to answer based on the spirit of the question (IE do you think the things people are calling "death panels" are in the bill) or the literal meaning of the bill (IE is there something in the bill actaully called a "death panel" or that you'd call a "death panel").
    I think people who use "death panel" as the spirit of the question should be excluded too. But I get your point. Fine, we'll change the question to say is there literally a death panel in the bill.

    My point is that there are endless lies about this law going around. People either read legislative language and dont' understand it, or they just lie.

  8. #348
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    They should take a poll and ask everyone if they think the bill has "Death Panels" and other crap like that in it. Those who do can be excluded becuase they have no ****ing idea what they're talking about. Then we can count the rest. The positives will go way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    My point is that there are endless lies about this law going around. People either read legislative language and dont' understand it, or they just lie.
    ------>

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Wow, you don't like democracy.

  9. #349
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    No the polls say so because of all the nonsense.
    No, the polls say so because the people polled said so. Sorry that's so inconvenient to you guys but it is what it is.

  10. #350
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    They should take a poll and ask everyone if they think the bill has "Death Panels" and other crap like that in it. Those who do can be excluded becuase they have no ****ing idea what they're talking about. Then we can count the rest. The positives will go way up.
    You have yet to sufficiently prove that the "death panels" insinuation are wrong on any count except the strength of the rhetoric. And no, polls should not discount people just because you don't like the answers they give. Too ****ing bad, go cry someone a river. The poll stands.

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •