Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 383

Thread: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I consume alot of news Catz and to be honest I'd say healthcare was maybe 2.5% of the discussion coming into the elections. .
    I can't speak to the news in Louisiana, but in Florida, the websites were rife with conservatives bleating that Obama = socialized medicine.

    So, forgive me if I'm a little sick of it all at this point.

    I voted for Obama. I'm not a wild-eyed liberal. I was iffy about the bill. However, I've spent a lot of time thinking about this subject. This bill is modeled very closely on what Massachusetts did. I've read about what's happened with medicine in other western countries. I'm not thrilled about healthcare reform, but I have to agree with Bob Dole: The system is broken and needs to be fixed.

    Will this fix it? I don't know. It's a start. I see this exactly the way I saw welfare reform, which if you remember, required some additional tinkering.
    I'm certainly not going to be firing my gun in the air and screaming that the sky is falling. We weathered 9/11 and Iraq. We'll figure it out.

    All the frenzy makes the conservatives look a little kookoo-loco.

    p.s. Boyfriend interjected that at least 50% of the back and forth between Hilary and Obama was about healthcare reform.

  2. #192
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Every elected official congresscritter has multiple staff members whose jobs consist of reading and analyzing legislation. Your argument IS in fact a strawman.

    Here's how a strawman works:

    Person A has position X.
    Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
    Person B attacks position Y.
    Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.

    This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself. One might as well expect an attack on a poor drawing of a person to hurt the person.


    So, for instance, in my case, I suggested that Democratic representatives were following the will of the people who elected them.
    You stated that they voted for a bill that they didn't read.
    You then attacked that position. And then, pretended that it made my argument false.
    Lets break down the stupidity of your argument.

    You argued when confronted with the fact that the people were against the bill being signed you responded with that was why the people elect congressman.

    My point to you was that if they don't even read the bill they are signing, how can we trust them to represent the people?

    But that apparently was too involved an argument for you.

    Only weak minded people attack the other person exposing the idiocy of their argument by googling "definitions of arguments"

    You got caught defending the indefensible. I know its hard to take but next time try thinking about the argument before posting it.
    Last edited by texmaster; 03-25-10 at 09:05 PM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  3. #193
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,664

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Well, some nutters on the left are already saying that. I'll make you a deal CA, you don't frag our side for our nuts and I'll make the distinction as well. Deal?
    Deal.

    I don't make a habit of it. I mostly tend to just point out hypocracy when the oppertunity presents itself. It's like finding an Easter egg. And because it's the nutter's, most all of the time, that are the one's who tend to blatantly spew the FOXNews brand of hypocracy, it may appear that I am picking on nutters. Pure coincidence. Even if someone happens not to be a nutter yet slips up in a moment of hypocracy, I cannot resist pointing them out either. And to be fair, I just LOVE to catch a leftwing nutter in a moment of hypocracy. (It's just harder to catch them as they tend to be more subtle.)

    Hell, I have even caught myself working both sides of the street before. I admit it. But I keep trying to be better.

    It's not MY fault the nutter persuasion mostly happens to be, well, you know.
    Last edited by Captain America; 03-25-10 at 09:08 PM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  4. #194
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    And conversely, there are lots of people who are angry because Obama didn't go far enough.
    13% is alot of the people, but it isn't statistically signifigant.
    As far as health care not being an up front issue, I disagree.
    The point was that everyone is saying that is what he was elected on, but during the campaign it was always treated as a secondary issue, those things rarely see the light of day, something I didn't think of earlier actually, so a lot of people maybe said give him a chance, it's not like he's really gonna get anything damaging done. Well, now people know better.
    Obama brought that up often when he spoke of his mother and how she was dying of cancer while fighting with insurance companies because they were denying her coverage saying it was a pre-existing condition.

    This was a well known plank in his platform, because it was so personal to him.
    Obviously not, since I consume much more news than the average person and it was treated like a secondary issue.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #195
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I don't make a habit of it. I mostly tend to just point out hypocracy when the oppertunity presents itself. It's like finding an Easter egg. And because it's the nutter's, most all of the time, that are the one's who tend to blatantly spew the FOXNews brand of hypocracy, it may appear that I am picking on nutters. Pure coincidence. Even if someone happens not to be a nutter yet slips up in a moment of hypocracy, I cannot resist pointing them out either. And to be fair, I just LOVE to catch a leftwing nutter in a moment of hypocracy. (It's just harder to catch them as they tend to be more subtle.)

    Hell, I have even caught myself working both sides of the street before. I admit it. But I keep trying to be better.

    It's not MY fault the nutter persuasion mostly happens to be, well, you know.
    Fair enough CA, Rock on!
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #196
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    And conversely, there are lots of people who are angry because Obama didn't go far enough. The health care bill is not nearly what they hoped for. There are also a great number who are angry DADT is still on the books, Gitmo is open for business and we are not getting out of Iraq fast enough for them.

    So...


    As far as health care not being an up front issue, I disagree. Obama brought that up often when he spoke of his mother and how she was dying of cancer while fighting with insurance companies because they were denying her coverage saying it was a pre-existing condition.

    This was a well known plank in his platform, because it was so personal to him.
    This Bill is just about what the Republican controlled Hertitage group proposed back in the 1990's in response to the Clinton & Clinton health insurance care so called plan. So in essence the TP ARTISTS are going absolutely bezerk over a Bill that there own ilk was touting.

    This is why I have no respect for the TP ARTISTS they are nothing but slogans, empty rhetoric and I must honestly say BS !!!
    Last edited by F107HyperSabr; 03-25-10 at 09:09 PM.
    “I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us “ f107HyperSabr

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    My point to you is that if they don't even read the bill they are signing, how can we trust them.
    I've done a considerable amount of legislative lobbying. This is precisely why every single congresscritter has multiple aides from a variety of professional backgrounds whose role is to provide guidance on legislation. It is physically impossible for an elected official to read every single page of every single page of legislation that he/she votes on.

    Personally, my field of expertise is in law enforcement and gangs. That's what I've provided guidance on. I've read countless pieces of legislation and provided summaries of them.

    That's why these folks have staff...to do this work. When you vote for a congressman/woman, you are not only electing him, but his entire staff, all of whom will be working for you.

    I find your comments in this regards incredibly naive and lacking in any practical experience with this subject.

    But by all means, go ahead throwing **** and hoping some of it will stick. That's working out well for you so far.

  8. #198
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    So? It's not Congress's job to respond to the will of a straight poll of respondents. It's the job of a member of congress to respond to the will of the locals who voted for them. Bear that in mind, with your opinion polls. We have a REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY in this country, not a straight democracy. That means that on issues like this, the majority of the population may not approve of the legislation, but on a district by district basis, the people who elected the representatives DO APPROVE.
    For one thing, there are many ways to know the will of one's constituents without polls.

    But do you really think that everyone who voted for a Democrat in 2008 liked a bill that didn't even exist yet back then? Because I can guarantee you that's not the case (I've already noted two people I know who wouldn't have voted for a Democrat if they knew what would have come of it; if you think those are isolated cases, you haven't been paying much attention to politics lately).

    Opinion polls are misleading when you attempt to suggest that they reflect the will of the people.
    When I attempt to suggest that? I have yet to attempt to suggest that. Odd you would put words in my mouth. Let me say it now though: opinion polls show the will of the people. That's actually what they're measuring, so it's hard to say that they don't.

    We don't rely on a popular vote in this country. That's why Al Gore could win the popular vote in 2000, and still lose the election. Remember that? I sure do. I live in Florida. I became very familiar with the electoral college back in those days.
    This has nothing to do with whether or not opinion polls show the will of the people (they do). But now that you mention it, it's funny all the people now saying the will of the people doesn't matter when a bill is unpopular by a large margin, but were viciously against ignoring the will of the people in 2000, when their candidate won a plurality by a fraction of a percent.

    THe majority of the people in individual districts elected an overwhelming majority of democrats to both the house and the Senate in 2008, REALIZING that by voting Democrat, they were voting for healthcare reform. That has been on the Democratic agenda since 1992.
    A bill that didn't exist until recently has been on the Democratic agenda since 1992?

    People who vote for any Democrat at all expect them to support the entirety of the Democratic agenda?

    So, forgive me if I find your impassioned pleas rather disingenuous.
    "Impassioned"?

    Sometimes representative democracy works in your favor. Sometimes it doesn't.
    Question: when was the last time an important bill as unpopular as this one was approved by a slim partisan majority? Was it under Bush? Clinton? Surely in the last 20 years, right? The last 50 years? 100?

    Answer: 1854. The Kansas-Nebraska Act. But people came to like that one over time... right? Hey, they voted for Democrats, so they must've secretly approved of it in the back of their minds. It's not like civil war would break out over it or anything... right?

  9. #199
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Excerpted from “Richmond Police Statement On Cantor Office Vandalism,” TPMLiveWire, March 25, 2010, 3:23PM
    The Richmond Police Department released the following statement Thursday, along with this incident report:

    Richmond Police Investigate Cantor Building Vandalism

    March 25, 2010

    The Richmond Police Department is investigating an act of vandalism at the Reagan Building, 25 E. Main St., Richmond, Virginia. A first floor window was struck by a bullet at approximately 1 a.m. on Tuesday, March 23. The building, which has several tenants including an office used by Congressman Eric Cantor, was unoccupied at the time.

    A Richmond Police detective was assigned to the case. A preliminary investigation shows that a bullet was fired into the air and struck the window in a downward direction, landing on the floor about a foot from the window. The round struck with enough force to break the windowpane but did not penetrate the window blinds. There was no other damage to the room, which is used occasionally for meetings by the congressman.

    The Richmond Police Department is sharing information about the incident with appropriate law enforcement agencies.

    At this time there are no suspects.
    “I shot an arrow into the air, It fell to earth, I knew not where.” — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, “The Arrow and the Song”

    While I am doubtful that this is a case of political violence, I will repeat my opinion that political violence whether conservative or liberal or otherwise in orientation redounds to the great discredit of the perpetrator's purpose.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  10. #200
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,425

    Re: House GOP No. 2: Someone shot at my office

    Christ I'm so sick of the inbred retarded asshole extremists who are acting out over this bill.

    These filthy, lawless, scumbags exist on both sides of the aisle. They are all enemies of the state if you ask me.

    Now, enough about Congress...how about the jerks doing the shooting?

    *insert profound statement here*

Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •