Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 127

Thread: Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

    SACRAMENTO, Calif. – California voters will decide whether to legalize recreational marijuana use for adults, after the secretary of state on Wednesday certified the initiative for the November ballot.

    It would become the first state to legalize recreational marijuana use if the proposition is approved. Marijuana use is legal for medicinal purposes in California and 14 other states, but the drug is illegal under federal law.

    Secretary of State Debra Bowen certified that the petitions seeking to place the question on the ballot had more than 433,971 valid voter signatures, the minimum number needed to qualify.

    If approved, the initiative would allow those 21 years and older to possess up to one ounce of marijuana, enough to roll several marijuana cigarettes. Residents also could cultivate the plant in limited quantities.
    It is now official. Legalization of marijuana is now on the ballot in California....

    1) And what better way to fight the War on Drugs than to deprive the cartels of a huge chunk of their revenues.

    2) Freeing up law enforcement resources to fight real crime? Yup.

    3) But most importantly, recognizing that the only time it becomes the government's business to meddle in someone's private life is if that someone violates the rights of someone else.

    California is frequently an experiment for the rest of the nation. Witness the property tax rebellion which began there, and soon spread to the other states. It's the same here. If California passes this law, and legal weed is dealt with responsibly by both citizens and authorities, it may be the beginning of the end of the Marijuana Tax Act, and government interference in the business of the states on the issue of drugs.

    Sure, a lot of Liberals are outspoken about smoking weed, but guess what? Legalization of it is a truly Conservative idea, from the standpoint of smaller government and more personal freedom, not to mention the 10th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

    I might also mention that more than a few Conservatives have a toke too, now and then. It is high time they came out of the closet on this issue, and started acting like Conservatives, for a change.

    Article is here.
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-25-10 at 12:11 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

    Unfortunately, I don't think it will pass. The right-wingers and religious evangelicals are going to go crazy and will propogandize this issue to the point that it turns voters off.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #3
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think it will pass. The right-wingers and religious evangelicals are going to go crazy and will propogandize this issue to the point that it turns voters off.
    I thought Democracy in action and the mandate of voters is all that mattered.

    Not that I agree with criminalization.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #4
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,647

    Re: Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think it will pass. The right-wingers and religious evangelicals are going to go crazy and will propogandize this issue to the point that it turns voters off.
    yeah, but most of the "reefer madness" nutters are either dead or have one-foot in the grave.

    Soon come mon. Soon come. No worries mon. Now, put 'way dat hippy joint and roll de' spliff.

    "Don't worry.
    'Bout a t'ing.
    'Cause every little t'ing, gon' be alright."

    De people gon' know better nex' time 'round. Fool me once.....
    Last edited by Captain America; 03-25-10 at 12:19 AM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #5
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I thought Democracy in action and the mandate of voters is all that mattered.

    Not that I agree with criminalization.
    Unfortunately...the mandate of the voters is in large part influenced by massive amounts of propoganda. Just look at prop 8. The measure was largely failing until the mormon church through million of dollars into a very deceitful campaign that scared and misled voters. I expect Mormons and evangelicals to do the same with this issue.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #6
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Unfortunately...the mandate of the voters is in large part influenced by massive amounts of propoganda. Just look at prop 8. The measure was largely failing until the mormon church through million of dollars into a very deceitful campaign that scared and misled voters. I expect Mormons and evangelicals to do the same with this issue.
    It happens with everything that's controversial.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #7
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    yeah, but most of the "reefer madness" nutters are either dead or have one-foot in the grave.

    Soon come mon. Soon come. No worries mon. Now, put 'way dat hippy joint and roll de' spliff.

    "Don't worry.
    'Bout a t'ing.
    'Cause every little t'ing, gon' be alright."

    De people gon' know better nex' time 'round. Fool me once.....
    ................ We don't get fooled again.

    -GW Bush

    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #8
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It happens with everything that's controversial.
    Not everything. There are certain issues that the right-wing is particularly virol about. Gay rights is one of them. Legalization of marijuana is another.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #9
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,647

    Re: Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Not everything. There are certain issues that the right-wing is particularly virol about. Gay rights is one of them. Legalization of marijuana is another.
    This is true. But like a high-pitched noise, I sense America is starting to tune those guys out more and more as each day passes. It's soo old. It's sooo stale. It's soooo boring. I mean, if a baby cries long enough, it's easy to become de-sensitized to the wah's.

    A great new day is coming. I can smell it in the mornings. Smells like..... victory.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    It is now official. Legalization of marijuana is now on the ballot in California....

    1) And what better way to fight the War on Drugs than to deprive the cartels of a huge chunk of their revenues.

    2) Freeing up law enforcement resources to fight real crime? Yup.

    3) But most importantly, recognizing that the only time it becomes the government's business to meddle in someone's private life is if that someone violates the rights of someone else.

    California is frequently an experiment for the rest of the nation. Witness the property tax rebellion which began there, and soon spread to the other states. It's the same here. If California passes this law, and legal weed is dealt with responsibly by both citizens and authorities, it may be the beginning of the end of the Marijuana Tax Act, and government interference in the business of the states on the issue of drugs.

    Sure, a lot of Liberals are outspoken about smoking weed, but guess what? Legalization of it is a truly Conservative idea, from the standpoint of smaller government and more personal freedom, not to mention the 10th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

    I might also mention that more than a few Conservatives have a toke too, now and then. It is high time they came out of the closet on this issue, and started acting like Conservatives, for a change.

    Article is here.

    A step in the right direction, but if the supply-chain isn't legalized and brought into the light of day, the effect on drug cartels will be minimal.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •