Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 129 of 129

Thread: Parliamentarian Weighing GOP Challenge to Reconciliation Bill

  1. #121
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Parliamentarian Weighing GOP Challenge to Reconciliation Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Glad to have you agree with the Parliamentarian decision that the HCR was valid to be decided via reconciliation.
    Not surprised that you do not have the integrity to concede the point that -no one- argued that a simple majority was necessary to pass the bill, contrary to your claim to that effect.

  2. #122
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Parliamentarian Weighing GOP Challenge to Reconciliation Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    .....-no one- argued that a simple majority was necessary to pass the bill, contrary to your claim to that effect.
    I guess you missed my link that proved otherwise:

    Senate GOP Vows United Opposition to Health Reform Reconciliation - Peter Roff (usnews.com)
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #123
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Parliamentarian Weighing GOP Challenge to Reconciliation Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I guess you missed where I responded directly to your posting of that link.

    The 'question' here is the validity of using reconcillaion in this partucular instance, not that a simple majoirty on the vote for bill itself is necessary to pass it.

    Reconcilliation is a means to get the bill to the floor for a vote; no one questions that once that vote is taken, a simple majority passes it.
    Nowhere does he article in your link say that anyone questions that the bill, once to the floor, will pass on a majority vote.

    Like I said - Not surprised that you do not have the integrity to concede the point.

  4. #124
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Parliamentarian Weighing GOP Challenge to Reconciliation Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I guess you missed where I responded directly to your posting of that link.



    Nowhere does he article in your link say that anyone questions that the bill, once to the floor, will pass on a majority vote.

    Like I said - Not surprised that you do not have the integrity to concede the point.
    In keeping with the OP, my point was to show the final decision by the Parliamentarian as it related to the GOP challenge to Reconciliation, which I have.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #125
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Parliamentarian Weighing GOP Challenge to Reconciliation Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    In keeping with the OP, my point was to show the final decision by the Parliamentarian as it related to the GOP challenge to Reconciliation, which I have.
    You said:
    What I am saying is the the same rules that made the Bush tax cut legislation legal by a majority vote, makes the HCR legislation legal by a majority vote.
    I said:
    No one has ever questioned that.
    At this point, you could have simply said 'yes, you're right'
    But instead, you deflected and eqvivocated.

    Now, be honest and admit that no one has evern questioned the idea that, once on the floor, the bill would pass by a simple majority vote.

  6. #126
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Parliamentarian Weighing GOP Challenge to Reconciliation Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post

    Now, be honest and admit that no one has evern questioned the idea that, once on the floor, the bill would pass by a simple majority vote.
    That is not what the OP is about now is it? I'll just stick to the proven point that the GOP appointed Parliamentarian decided against the position of the GOP regarding the validity of reconciliation being used to pass HCR.

    If you wish to make some other point I suggest you start a new thread about it.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #127
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Parliamentarian Weighing GOP Challenge to Reconciliation Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    That is not what the OP is about now is it?
    Irrelevant.

    I'll just stick to the proven point that the GOP appointed Parliamentarian decided against the position of the GOP regarding the validity of reconciliation being used to pass HCR.
    Of course - as you do not have the intellectual honesty to admit that someone else is right.

  8. #128
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Parliamentarian Weighing GOP Challenge to Reconciliation Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Irrelevant.


    Of course - as you do not have the intellectual honesty to admit that someone else is right.

    From the OP ~

    "Senate Parliamentarian Alan Frumin on Monday heard arguments for and against a Republican challenge to the health care reform reconciliation package, but he did not immediately issue a ruling."


    From ABC News, March 24 ~

    "Democrats won the first battle late Monday night when Frumin agreed with them that the bill does not affect Social Security. Had he sided with Republicans, the entire set of fix-its would have been ruled out of order and Democrats would have had to muster 60 votes -- they are at least one short -- to bypass him. "
    Health Care Law: Senate Parliamentarian Alan Frumin to Play Role in Reconciliation - ABC News

    Today's news ~

    "The final House vote tallied in at 220-207 and the Senate vote was 56-43. Like Sunday's initial vote, the approval of this bill came with not one single Republican vote.

    The bill will now be sent to President Barack Obama for his signature."

    Congress passes final healthcare bill measures | Insurance Corner - Latest News

    End of thread.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #129
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Parliamentarian Weighing GOP Challenge to Reconciliation Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    From the OP ~

    "Senate Parliamentarian Alan Frumin on Monday heard arguments for and against a Republican challenge to the health care reform reconciliation package, but he did not immediately issue a ruling."


    From ABC News, March 24 ~

    "Democrats won the first battle late Monday night when Frumin agreed with them that the bill does not affect Social Security. Had he sided with Republicans, the entire set of fix-its would have been ruled out of order and Democrats would have had to muster 60 votes -- they are at least one short -- to bypass him. "
    Health Care Law: Senate Parliamentarian Alan Frumin to Play Role in Reconciliation - ABC News

    Today's news ~

    "The final House vote tallied in at 220-207 and the Senate vote was 56-43. Like Sunday's initial vote, the approval of this bill came with not one single Republican vote.

    The bill will now be sent to President Barack Obama for his signature."

    Congress passes final healthcare bill measures | Insurance Corner - Latest News

    End of thread.
    Still cannot bring yourself to say 'you're right Goob, no one has questioned the idea that a simple majority is enough to pass the bill once the bill is on the floor for a vote', eh?

    No surprise.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •