Page 111 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1136

Thread: Health Care Bill has passed

  1. #1101
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Health Care Bill has passed

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Actually, this tells me that Congressional Republicans were not against the health care bill because of what it was. They were against it because they wanted to do anything they could to defeat Obama politically. This is borne out by the fact that they overwhelmingly approved of Bush's health care bill when he was in office.

    Once again, for some, this was not about health care at all, but about political games. Of course, I don't mind the games this time, up to a point, because I didn't want the bill to be passed, but at least I am consistent. I also bashed the Bush bill. Where were you guys then, except telling me how unamerican I was to bash Bush over pretty much the same issue you are now bashing Obama over? And don't tell me that Bush only broke the piggy bank to a smaller degree than Obama did, so it is all on Obama. That is the same thing as saying "We only torture a little".
    So because Biden said so, the Republicans were all about politics and the Democrats was all about healthcare. Only a liberal would have such an opinion. Biden's word is no proof at all. The fact that they were worried about Obama's presidency puts the blame for politics squarely on the shoulders of the Democrats. They were desperate to past something, even if it was wrong. Take another sip of koolaid.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #1102
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: Health Care Bill has passed

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    No....China owns the debt on our failing system of institutions, which I referenced from your previous post. That will be compounded by bankrupting states with additional Medicaid/Medicare obligations when they can't even pay for it right now.

    And raising taxes always solves deficit problems, doesn't it? Accept for.....well, never.
    Yes, China does own our debt, but if we had a president with some cahonas, this would actually work to our favor. We could force China to stop manipulating their currency, and if they don't, then just declare ourselves bankrupt, and stick China with truckloads of worthless paper.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #1103
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Health Care Bill has passed

    Looks like that idiot Reid voted against it before he voted for it.

    Reid casts wrong vote on health care for second time - CNN.com
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #1104
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,057

    Re: Health Care Bill has passed

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    China (or even Japan as they hold the most treasury debt at the moment) have nothing to do with it. Foreign holdings of treasury debt is a function of a negative current account (although not @ 1:1).



    Compounded?

    The worlds financial system nearly exploded a little over a year ago. State and federal budget deficits are to be expected. Care to put a time frame on when the US will default? (much less go bankrupt)





    Historical Top Tax Rate
    Ah, yes, let's play the "my chart beats your chart" game. Debt right now is higher than it was during the Great Depression as a percentage of GDP.

    U. S. Budget Death Spiral Off-Grid Blogger

    If we transfer our government's irresponsibility to our wealthy citizens, all you're going to see is 25 percent unemployment and a huge evacuation from the market.

    The healthcare bill, and a few other dubious projections we've made at my company, have us preparing for another round of layoffs in June.

  5. #1105
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Health Care Bill has passed

    I wonder how this new healthcare law is going to affect companies moving overseas.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #1106
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Health Care Bill has passed

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Ah, yes, let's play the "my chart beats your chart" game. Debt right now is higher than it was during the Great Depression as a percentage of GDP.
    Your chart is off base because it combines public debt with private debt and therefore has nothing to do with this discussion. You might be able to start an argument in regards to "crowding out", although i seriously believe you lack the ability to do so with any sort of accuracy. Not to mention debt as a percentage of GDP was higher following WWII; not during the depression.

    None the less.... The "greatest generation" repaid their dues with hard work and higher taxes. To believe you should be free of such responsibility speaks volumes.

    If we transfer our government's irresponsibility to our wealthy citizens, all you're going to see is 25 percent unemployment and a huge evacuation from the market.
    A uncunning statement grounded in speculation and ideological bias. You have no basis to claim such an extreme nor will you be able to find any sort of data to support it. I find it nothing short of hilarious that you view the strength of a market system with such disbelief.

    The health care bill, and a few other dubious projections we've made at my company, have us preparing for another round of layoffs in June.
    Ok. But you cannot deny the improvement in the labor market. Doing so is nothing short of blind blathering.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #1107
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Health Care Bill has passed

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Yes, China does own our debt, but if we had a president with some cahonas, this would actually work to our favor. We could force China to stop manipulating their currency, and if they don't, then just declare ourselves bankrupt, and stick China with truckloads of worthless paper.
    Of all debt owned by foreigners, China has about 25% of it. Declaring ourselves bankrupt to spurn the Chinese will demolish the rest of the worlds economies who are tied to the US in regards to trade and economic relations. When a spider is biting your foot, you squash it. You do not try to shoot it with a bazooka.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #1108
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Re: Health Care Bill has passed

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Of all debt owned by foreigners, China has about 25% of it. Declaring ourselves bankrupt to spurn the Chinese will demolish the rest of the worlds economies who are tied to the US in regards to trade and economic relations. When a spider is biting your foot, you squash it. You do not try to shoot it with a bazooka.




    Unless of course, you are the Good Reverend, then you do in fact indeed shoot spiders with a bazooka..... Just sayin.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #1109
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Health Care Bill has passed

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Unless of course, you are the Good Reverend, then you do in fact indeed shoot spiders with a bazooka..... Just sayin.
    When they are on your foot Remind me never to drink whiskey with you
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #1110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Health Care Bill has passed

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    First off, they have had socialized healthcare for years... but I'm sure it's run in a drastically different fashion then it's being done according to the new law.

    What is the tax rate for those countries with socialized healthcare?? Americans do pay a fair bit less in taxes overall then the countries with socialized health care... and because the people there are accustomed to paying the taxes to be a beneficiairy to that care, there is no real problem with this carrying on like that.

    It's not the 'socializing' of health care that is going to destroy the country, but rather, because people are already losing their jobs, the economy is stretched to the limits, and the debt load of the average american is so stretched that to take on an extra 20-30 % tax hike to pay for this care is going to push a great deal of americans over the edge.



    The part where it was written by the insurance companies so that it could suit THEIR best interests, rather then in the best interests of those that are depending on that health care.
    I agree with most of what you say but I trust Obama to bring this country back to it's former prestige and glory. I am talking about back to before Nixon, Reagan, and Bush destroyed it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •