Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 165

Thread: Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

    From the newspaper accounts on the testimony (no electronic transcript was posted at the Armed Services Committee's website), General Sheehan provided no direct evidence of any kind, much less evidence that was credible, to support his sweeping assertions. Moreover, his reference to information he received from Dutch leaders may well be inaccurate, given the Dutch Government's swift condemnation of his testimony and not a single Dutch military official coming forward to corroborate his account.

    IMO, the Senate Committee should contact the relevant Dutch officials to inquire into the veracity of the General's claim with respect to senior Dutch military leaders and examine the findings of any Dutch investigations into the performance of Dutch forces leading up to the massacre. At a minimum, I believe the prudent course for the Senate would be to strike General Sheehan's testimony from the record as it appears to be little more than wild personal speculation without any supporting evidence.

  2. #42
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Or more likely simply mistaken.
    That theory should be easy for you to prove.

    Please provide the statement from the former chief of staff of the Dutch army disputing the statement.

    If he was where is The number one, bar none top contributing factor to unit morale and cohesion is leadership. No other factor is even close.
    What facts are you basing this opinion on?

    When a unit has poor leadership, it tends to look for excuses as to why things go wrong. This is part of why investigations into why things go wrong tend to be external.
    Do you have any evidence to support that was his reason?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  3. #43
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You are aware of the value of hearsay evidence(or lack thereof), especially in relation to something like this, right?
    This isn't a court of law. This was said in a Senate Arms Committee. Once again you confuse what was said and where it was said.

    I take it since you cannot dispute the statement nor can you find the former chief of staff of the Dutch army disputing the claim you have nothing to base your disbelief on other than your opinion.
    Last edited by texmaster; 03-19-10 at 04:28 PM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  4. #44
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Brains.....
    So only if people believe the way you do they are smart?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  5. #45
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    So only if people believe the way you do they are smart?
    Didn't say anything about me. People who believe that gays caused the massacre are irrational. Sometimes you just have to call it like it is.

  6. #46
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Didn't say anything about me. People who believe that gays caused the massacre are irrational. Sometimes you just have to call it like it is.
    You talk about brains but you don't even read what he said.

    He was told it was a contributing factor but not the only factor.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #47
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From the newspaper accounts on the testimony (no electronic transcript was posted at the Armed Services Committee's website), General Sheehan provided no direct evidence of any kind, much less evidence that was credible, to support his sweeping assertions. Moreover, his reference to information he received from Dutch leaders may well be inaccurate, given the Dutch Government's swift condemnation of his testimony and not a single Dutch military official coming forward to corroborate his account.

    IMO, the Senate Committee should contact the relevant Dutch officials to inquire into the veracity of the General's claim with respect to senior Dutch military leaders and examine the findings of any Dutch investigations into the performance of Dutch forces leading up to the massacre. At a minimum, I believe the prudent course for the Senate would be to strike General Sheehan's testimony from the record as it appears to be little more than wild personal speculation without any supporting evidence.
    Are you calling him a liar? Do you have any evidence he fabricated what he was told in any way?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  8. #48
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    You talk about brains but you don't even read what he said.

    He was told it was a contributing factor but not the only factor.
    Wow, big difference.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------



    BBC News - Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

    Rediculous statement. There is no way fathomable. That having openly gay soldiers could in any way cause a massacre.
    Why not, we been preaching unit cohesion and morale to you for months....Looks like it affected them big time..........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #50
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,322
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dutch fury at US general's gay theory over Srebrenica

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Are you calling him a liar? Do you have any evidence he fabricated what he was told in any way?
    this may be totally unrelated. But could you change your Signature, its lagging out my screen when I'm scrolling up and down.

    to say whether or not the Dutch Chief of Staff said it or not is irellevant, since it doesnt nessecarily make him right. If all the evaluations of that day say there was no link between gays and defeat then I am drawn to conclude that must be correct. But hey, don't quote facts unless it suits you sir.

    I mean during that war there were countless instances where European army units were either overun or simply abandoned there posts (the French did on Numerous occasions)

    I don't know what gays in the military status was like at the time for Canada but I'd like to cite the battle of the Medak Pocket where the Canadians held their ground against a full out Croation assault.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •