Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 503

Thread: "All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart

  1. #91
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: "All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    I thought about that too.
    Even for people of my dad's generation- mid-to-late 50s- who grew up in the South, it's not funny. It's not funny. People lost their lives over it, and half the people living today are old enough to remember those times, and this sort of joke must stir up many ghosts for those people.
    And again, for children who were present, I'm sure it was bewildering and possibly frightening.

    The only people I can imagine finding such a thing "funny" are teens and really dumb people in their 20s and 30s; or maybe yankees who have never lived down south.

    Whatever marginal amusement such people may have derived from said "joke", it's not worth the potential pain and upset it no doubt caused others who were present.

    I suspect people wouldn't be laughing if the announcement had instructed all Jews to leave the store.
    It is odd, I laughed when I heard the story, but I see some of your point here.

    I have this friend who used to yell out "Whites only" at really funny times while in certain establishments. Part of the reason she found it funny was because of the ridiculousness of the notion. When viewed from this perspective, it really amounts to a denigration of the people who used to (still do sometimes!!) think that way. It was funny because it is shocking and stupid, and it sounds that way.

    But, I think that can only be true in communities where racism seems like a long ago memory.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,157

    Re: "All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart

    I fail to see anything funny in it whatsoever. Dumb at best.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: "All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    I suspect people wouldn't be laughing if the announcement had instructed all Jews to leave the store.
    I can assure you if some dumbass got on the intercom and said for all Jews, homos, white people, black people, short people, dumb people, blond people or any other group to leave the store, I would have laughed. Ninety percent because of what I imagined the idiot on the intercom to be like and the other 10% because of the reactions of those around me.

    Sweet jesus people are far too easily offended.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: "All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Part of the reason she found it funny was because of the ridiculousness of the notion.
    And there you have it.

  5. #95
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,489

    Re: "All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I can assure you if some dumbass got on the intercom and said for all Jews, homos, white people, black people, short people, dumb people, blond people or any other group to leave the store, I would have laughed. Ninety percent because of what I imagined the idiot on the intercom to be like and the other 10% because of the reactions of those around me.

    Sweet jesus people are far too easily offended.
    Jallman, it is not so simple. Like I mentioned I grew up in a segregated city in the late 60's early 70's. Things that happened due to nothing more than my ethnic makeup are still fresh in my mind and I am certain many others.

    I have pretty thick skin and have no issue with smack or racial humor, but that was different. It struck way to close to home. I was asked to leave a shell station in 1985 (as a service member no less) because and I quote "we don't serve your kind" this was in 85!

    Others have similar situations I am certain. The difference is that is NOT an isolated incident. It happened allot in places like Bridgeport, Cicero, Frankfort and Mokena Illinois. I am also as certain it was all across this nation.

    This goes way beyond offense for some of us. This brings back memory's of being a second class citizen in my own country.

    Easily offended? No. Who ever pulled the "joke" was just reaffirming my status I guess, really funny stuff I tell you.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 03-18-10 at 03:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #96
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: "All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Any self respecting person wouldn't have been in a Wal-Mart to begin with.

    Seriously, I walked into a Wal-Mart once. The store was boring and dirty and the people shopping inside had to be the ugliest people that I had ever seen in my life. Seriously....there wasn't anyone who was even half-way decent looking inside. If I hadn't been with my sister in Law who was leaving the country and needed to pick up travel supplies, I would have turned around and left.

    It was truly a horrifying experience.
    See, there's your problem. You thought you were going to a singles club, whereas everyone else thought they were going to a store in order to purchase commodities. I've made that mistake many a time myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    I thought about that too.
    Even for people of my dad's generation- mid-to-late 50s- who grew up in the South, it's not funny. It's not funny. People lost their lives over it, and half the people living today are old enough to remember those times, and this sort of joke must stir up many ghosts for those people.
    And again, for children who were present, I'm sure it was bewildering and possibly frightening.

    The only people I can imagine finding such a thing "funny" are teens and really dumb people in their 20s and 30s; or maybe yankees who have never lived down south.

    Whatever marginal amusement such people may have derived from said "joke", it's not worth the potential pain and upset it no doubt caused others who were present.

    I suspect people wouldn't be laughing if the announcement had instructed all Jews to leave the store.
    No, I absolutely wouldn't have given a **** then either. I pointed out an example earlier in this thread of a relatively common occurrence here in the city - when the subway hits the last stop in the gentrified area before going on to the ghetto, the conductor frequently offers some variation on "whitey get out, it's your stop." No one freezes, paralyzed by fear. No one sobs into the hem of their mother's dress. People chuckle, ignore it, or continue sleeping.

    Do I think it was smart for this person to say that? Of course not.
    If they're an employee, do I think they should be fired? Of course.
    Without more information, do I think that a boycott of the store is warranted? Of course not.
    Do I think that people are taking this way too seriously? Of course.
    Do I
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: "All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    No, I absolutely wouldn't have given a **** then either. I pointed out an example earlier in this thread of a relatively common occurrence here in the city - when the subway hits the last stop in the gentrified area before going on to the ghetto, the conductor frequently offers some variation on "whitey get out, it's your stop." No one freezes, paralyzed by fear. No one sobs into the hem of their mother's dress. People chuckle, ignore it, or continue sleeping.

    Do I think it was smart for this person to say that? Of course not.
    If they're an employee, do I think they should be fired? Of course.
    Without more information, do I think that a boycott of the store is warranted? Of course not.
    Do I think that people are taking this way too seriously? Of course.
    Do I
    I think the way this post ends gave me an existentialist crisis.....
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #98
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,489

    Re: "All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Do I think it was smart for this person to say that? Of course not.
    If they're an employee, do I think they should be fired? Of course.
    Without more information, do I think that a boycott of the store is warranted? Of course not.
    Do I think that people are taking this way too seriously? Of course.
    Do I
    So you pretty much agree, 1069 did not say anything that warranted your response.

    No one that posts here is asking for them to be boycotted or any such nonsense.

    What we are saying is don't downplay the fact this was an ignorant disrespectful act just because it was thought to be funny by a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #99
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: "All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think the way this post ends gave me an existentialist crisis.....
    I was thinking more along the lines of a critical reevaluation of the impermanency of man's station in society, but yours works too.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #100
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: "All Black People" Asked to Leave S. Jersey Wal-Mart

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Yes, because systematic nation-wide discrimination against a group is exactly the same as one idiot making a stupid joke over a loudspeaker at walmart. How on earth could anyone oppose one without being equally outraged at the other?
    As long as you have no problem being a raging hypocrite go right ahead.

    Of course, we could flip it around and look at your positions - you're outraged that someone would make a joke like this, but you have no problem with policies that discriminate against people of a different sexual orientation. Hypocrisy much?
    LOL I've never claimed to be tolerant of everything unlike some of you and I certainly never used black racial history as a comparison to homosexual plight in this country then laugh when someone exploits it with blacks.

    Is this really that hard for you to grasp? Seriously?


    I doubt very much you and the rest of the gay marriage advocates would have been laughing if someone on the PA said "All the homosexuals please leave the store"

    But then again that would require you to hold yourself to the same standards you claim you uphold when discussing gay marriage and we certainly can't have that can we?
    Last edited by texmaster; 03-18-10 at 06:19 AM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •