Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 253

Thread: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

  1. #21
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Sorry, she did not keep it at home. She notified the government of her intentions by obtaining a legal marriage license. There is no wiggle room here. If she was just living with her, ok thats a much harder case to make but a marriage license? Please.
    public or not, its irrelevant, the military wouldn't have sought out anything about her private life as that would violate their end of DADT
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #22
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

    I hate to do this, but Texmaster is, in a way, right. One of the things banned by DADT is "marriage or attempted marriage" to some one of the same sex. Now the military won't look for evidence, but if presented with it, it is a done deal.

    This does not mean the police where right(they where not), only that she did, by getting married, violate military regulations.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #23
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    public or not, its irrelevant, the military wouldn't have sought out anything about her private life as that would violate their end of DADT
    Not necessarily. In the course of investigations for initial security clearances and renewals, they are generally quite thorough at uncovering information about you, especially if it's something such as a legal document filed with a state or local government. I don't know if her job required her to have a security clearance, but it's very possible the marriage license would have been discovered by the military anyway.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  4. #24
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

    And this is exactly why DADT should be repealed, along with any and all military rules banning gays. There is no need to discharge someone just because she wants to spend declare her intentions publicly to spend her life with the woman she loves. That declaration in no way affected what she did for the military. The only reason her being gay affects her military career at all is because of DADT. That is just stupid.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #25
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Not necessarily. In the course of investigations for initial security clearances and renewals, they are generally quite thorough at uncovering information about you, especially if it's something such as a legal document filed with a state or local government. I don't know if her job required her to have a security clearance, but it's very possible the marriage license would have been discovered by the military anyway.
    From the linked article:

    n aircraft armament system craftsman who spent nine years in the Air Force
    She was pretty free and clear of any of what you mention.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #26
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    public or not, its irrelevant, the military wouldn't have sought out anything about her private life as that would violate their end of DADT
    You mean she could violate her oath unless one part of the government knew what she did with another.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #27
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I hate to do this, but Texmaster is, in a way, right. One of the things banned by DADT is "marriage or attempted marriage" to some one of the same sex. Now the military won't look for evidence, but if presented with it, it is a done deal.

    This does not mean the police where right(they where not), only that she did, by getting married, violate military regulations.
    Dammit! I was saving that for the first person who challenged the marriage itself!
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  8. #28
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    By obtaining a PUBLIC marriage license!

    How can you pretend she is following the laws set by the government then going to another part of the government and getting a legal and public contract that is specifically against her oath and still pretend she did nothing wrong?

    Explain that to me. I'd love to here the spin on it.
    I wasn't aware that DADT specifically mentioned "marriage or attempted marriage." Now that Redress pointed that out, this is just more evidence that DADT is mindbogglingly retarded and deserves to be consigned to the scrap heap of history.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #29
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,325
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I wasn't aware that DADT specifically mentioned "marriage or attempted marriage." Now that Redress pointed that out, this is just more evidence that DADT is mindbogglingly retarded and deserves to be consigned to the scrap heap of history.
    The policy is stupid in so many ways as to be something of a joke, but a painful one for gays attempting to serve their country.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military

    Jene Newsome played by the rules as an Air Force sergeant: She never told anyone in the military she was a lesbian. The 28-year-old's honorable discharge under the "don't ask, don't tell" policy came only after police officers in Rapid City, S.D., saw an Iowa marriage certificate in her home and told the nearby Ellsworth Air Force Base.

    Newsome and the American Civil Liberties Union filed a complaint against the western South Dakota police department, claiming the officers violated her privacy when they informed the military about her sexual orientation. The case also highlights concerns over the ability of third parties to "out" service members, especially as the Pentagon has started reviewing the 1993 "don't ask, don't tell" law.

    Full Article: Lesbian sgt. discharged after police tell military - Yahoo! News

    What the police did to this woman is unacceptable. They have ZERO right to reveal sexual orientation to ANYBODY.

    Despite the fact that the police, who have arbitrarily declared themselves innocent (can you say cover-up), I find fault in their actions.

    The officers responsible for contacting the military need to be fired. The ranking officers who covered up their actions need to be fired.

    I hope the victim sues the pants off the police, the city, and the State of South Dakota.



    I'm a strong supporter of gays serving openly in the military, but the lesbian is in the wrong here. She knew the rules and she broke them anyway. Cops were there for legitimate reasons, and are duty bound to report a crime.

    I'm glad to see she got an honorable, though.

    Until the rule is changed it has to be followed. Hopefully it'll change soon.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •