Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Georgia Considers Outlawing Abortions Based on Race, Gender

  1. #21
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,167

    Re: Georgia Considers Outlawing Abortions Based on Race, Gender

    This bill is all for show and will go nowhere.

    Nonetheless, the abortion rate among blacks is such that more black babies are aborted each year than are born... it's worth noting that only way the party in power wishes to address this problem is to try to secure public funding to facilitate the process.

  2. #22
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,956

    Re: Georgia Considers Outlawing Abortions Based on Race, Gender

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    This bill is all for show and will go nowhere.

    Nonetheless, the abortion rate among blacks is such that more black babies are aborted each year than are born... it's worth noting that only way the party in power wishes to address this problem is to try to secure public funding to facilitate the process.
    I believe the point of the proposed law was to outlaw abortions done because of race or gender. So how do you know that the abortions of black babies mentioned above were carried out because of their race? You seem to be going off on a tangent or creating an entirely new red herring by bringing up a threat of demographics.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,167

    Re: Georgia Considers Outlawing Abortions Based on Race, Gender

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I believe the point of the proposed law was to outlaw abortions done because of race or gender. So how do you know that the abortions of black babies mentioned above were carried out because of their race? You seem to be going off on a tangent or creating an entirely new red herring by bringing up a threat of demographics.
    Read the first line of my post.

  4. #24
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,956

    Re: Georgia Considers Outlawing Abortions Based on Race, Gender

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Read the first line of my post.
    Yes, I saw that. Noted. But then you went on to make another point.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,167

    Re: Georgia Considers Outlawing Abortions Based on Race, Gender

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Yes, I saw that. Noted. But then you went on to make another point.
    I'm not sure you've made yours...

  6. #26
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,956

    Re: Georgia Considers Outlawing Abortions Based on Race, Gender

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm not sure you've made yours...
    Maybe it would help if we backed up and you clarified your point.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,167

    Re: Georgia Considers Outlawing Abortions Based on Race, Gender

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Maybe it would help if we backed up and you clarified your point.
    1. Yes there is a problem (abortion rate among blacks)
    2. This bill does little to address that problem - its purpose is to seed distrust, anger, conspiracy theories, or whatever vs. dems or their associated political partners
    3. Debunking the conspiracy theory doesn't change the fact that there is a problem, and that little is being done to address the problem - in fact our efforts are not aimed at reducing the number of abortions, but making sure people who want them can get them using taxpayer money.

  8. #28
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,956

    Re: Georgia Considers Outlawing Abortions Based on Race, Gender

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    1. Yes there is a problem (abortion rate among blacks)
    Well, there's a poverty problem, caused by a cycle of unstable households and single mothers, and lack of proper education (and respect for education) thus perpetuating poverty. (And of course there's that whole drug thing). Whether or not you agree that abortion is amoral, it does help to break one of those cycles. Is a pregnant teenager more or less likely to go on to better herself in education and develop a career?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    2. This bill does little to address that problem - its purpose is to seed distrust, anger, conspiracy theories, or whatever vs. dems or their associated political partners
    That's for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    3. Debunking the conspiracy theory doesn't change the fact that there is a problem, and that little is being done to address the problem - in fact our efforts are not aimed at reducing the number of abortions, but making sure people who want them can get them using taxpayer money.
    I agree that there is a problem, but I think you're focusing on the symptoms and not any of the root causes. Focusing on the "problem" of abortions is like blaming a doctor for always putting band aids on a patient and not on the fact that the patient trips and falls a lot. And I really don't see how the cycle of poverty of poor blacks are going to be helped by having the option of abortions removed.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,167

    Re: Georgia Considers Outlawing Abortions Based on Race, Gender

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I agree that there is a problem, but I think you're focusing on the symptoms and not any of the root causes. Focusing on the "problem" of abortions is like blaming a doctor for always putting band aids on a patient and not on the fact that the patient trips and falls a lot. And I really don't see how the cycle of poverty of poor blacks are going to be helped by having the option of abortions removed.
    I merely underscored the existence of a problem, regardless of the outcome of the Georgia bill. Focusing on the problem is analogous to a doctor's diagnosis. A "band aid" would suggest I proposed a solution (which I did not). It's worth knowing what you're up against before you reach for the band-aid tin.

    Although the abortion rate is certainly correlated with poverty, I'll point out that the rate of abortion among blacks is significantly higher in every income bracket (other than the lowest). Clearly there is more to the equation.

  10. #30
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    03-15-10 @ 07:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12

    Re: Georgia Considers Outlawing Abortions Based on Race, Gender

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    And yes, I concur that a higher rate of abortion is probably due to weaker sex education and lack of proper birth control.
    So... the black people I went to school with had a weaker sex education than me?

    Or are you asserting that my sex education was poor? Cause I am bewildered by this statement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •