Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 262

Thread: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

  1. #191
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well I already pointed out my disagreement with you about it being a weak argument :P
    I meant to imply my argument (about habeus corpus) was a weak one, not your argument.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #192
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I meant to imply my argument (about habeus corpus) was a weak one, not your argument.
    Oh I thought yours was actually a decent attempt to be honest. Not your best by a long shot but hardly a poor one compared to some on here

  3. #193
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

    1) we didn't have to say under god if we didn't want
    2) we didn't have to say the pledge if we didn't want
    I was required to say both. You can see it turned me into a fundamentalist right winger.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #194
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    By doing what you propose what you'd accomplish is bringing both side into agreement ABOUT their disagreements, thus creating even MORE disagreement.

    Yeah, I'd love that.

    I'll do anything to get rid of that dastardly bit socialist propaganda.


    Its like people in a city arguing if they should change the name of the Chicago Bears to the Chicago Polticians or keep the name the same and so you go with the third option...move them to Oklahoma City. The third option isn't going to create less arguments within your base (in our case the citizenry), it's going to create an argument even larger than either of the two by joining them together with their common disdain.

    Bears aren't synonymous with Politicans, so I'm probably go with the "Chicago hairy gay guys"
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    ...or having a completely voluntary pledge...
    Uh, that's more than just a bit disingenuous. People who refuse to speak the pledge are labeled as unpatriotic or communist or whatever pejorative or insinuation they need to use to make themselves feel better about the situation.

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Not all-encomapssing, but a generic refernce.
    Genereic reference is permissible.
    Says who?

  7. #197
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Adding "under God" didn't violate the Constitution, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a bad idea. The original version was better. I should be allowed to pledge allegiance to my country without making a religious statement that I disagree with. I would feel the same about this if I did believe in God. Do we want atheists to pledge allegiance to this country? Do we want them to lie when they do it? To those who say you can skip "under God", the purpose of the POA is to unite the people. The opposite happens if you have people making different pledges.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm pretty sure its at the very least against school policy in just about the entire country and may very well be against the law to FORCE children to reciet the pledge. I was in school more than a decade ago in a rural southern town and even we were specifically told each and every year that:

    1) we didn't have to say under god if we didn't want
    2) we didn't have to say the pledge if we didn't want

    And never got in any trouble for it. I know the only major news story about someone being "Forced" to say the pledge in recent years had a teacher getting severely punished for performing such a thing.

    For it to FORCE acknowledgement it would have to be mandatory that all citizens say it. It absolutely, positively, is not.

    I would agree 100% with making it voluntary if it wasn't...but it IS. If a school is FORCING children to say it that's wrong, but that is a problem with the schools leadership or the guidelines they have, no with the pledge itself.
    I guess you missed the link to the story of a child being FORCED to recite it or be thrown out of class.

  9. #199
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Says who?
    the Constitution
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    There is a difference between something being added now and something that was added practically six decades ago with "under God" and over a century ago with "in God we trust". Those things are now a national motto and a matter of national tradition. Unless you are some old fucker who went to school before the mid 50s(and even if you did then most likely you have barely any or no recollection/memory of reciting the pledge of allegiance without the Under God part in it) you,me and practically every American member of DP has uttered "under God" in a our pledge of allegiance and our money and has always had "In God We Trust" on it(unless you were born before 1864 or you are a Naturalized citizen).

    If a founding forefathers and majority of citizens were muslim and those in the 1800s were muslim and those in the mid 50s were muslim then our money would probably have Under Allah in our pledge of allegiance and In Allah we Trust on our money and the same thing for any other religion.



    I was born in the mid to late 1970s,so Under God was always in my pledge of allegiance and IN God we Trust was on our money.So it did not happen just yesterday.


    S

    I am not okay with changing tradition.
    I really don't know what to say to this other than... seriously?

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •