Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 262

Thread: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    But it does not designate any specific religion. That was HIS argument.
    I believe it does. Christianity, Judaism and Islam are the only major/mainstream religions that designate their god as God. Other religions refer to their god or gods by name.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Christianity, Judaism and Islam are the only major/mainstream religions that designate their god as God.
    That's because the three of them fundamentally all believe in the same god. And yet they fight so hard against each other.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    One other fun bit of trivia re: the Pledge adding "under God" in the 1950's.

    Our official national anthem (since long before McCarthy set foot in office) is the Star Spangled Banner. While everyone knows the first verse, few know the second, third, or fourth. The fourth verse is as follows:
    Many people don't know this but the song "Sweet Home Alabama" doesn't contain the word "god" in it. That how relevant "The Star Spangled Banner" is to this conversation.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Yeah, not since the founding of our nation like Christians would like us all to believe.
    God was an enormous facet of our founding history. Pretending it isn't is pathetic.

    This is good news. Now this Newdon creep can just sit and stew for eternity. I can't stand people like him, who absolutely must be the star of their own movie all the time.

  5. #105
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    God was an enormous facet of our founding history. Pretending it isn't is pathetic.
    I am curious about your reasoning. As far as I can tell, it was some civic leaders who thought they had a better way to govern than monarchy and got enough people to agree with them to have a successful revolution.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I agree. For some, however, it is important and it helps them affirm their loyalty to the country. To each their own. Personally, the pledge does nothing for me. I don't see how a reciting a bunch of words somehow makes one more patriotic, but whatever. I recognize the fact that it's important to some and I'm more than happy for them. However, I just fail to see why religion is such a necessary addition in something that really has nothing to do with religion. It just surprises me that so many would applaud this decision considering that "under God" wasn't even officially added until the 50's. It seems that people are only purists when it suits them.
    I think the Pledge of Allegiance would be a good topic for another thread. I'm torn on the subject.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jefferson State
    Last Seen
    11-25-12 @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    God was an enormous facet of our founding history. Pretending it isn't is pathetic.

    This is good news. Now this Newdon creep can just sit and stew for eternity. I can't stand people like him, who absolutely must be the star of their own movie all the time.
    Historically, yes. We are much more complex and diverse now. We ought to recognize that more in our public policies.

  8. #108
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    One other fun bit of trivia re: the Pledge adding "under God" in the 1950's.

    Our official national anthem (since long before McCarthy set foot in office) is the Star Spangled Banner. While everyone knows the first verse, few know the second, third, or fourth. The fourth verse is as follows:
    But that didn't actually become the motto until the 1950's.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Oh I agree completely with that. This is one guy who doesn't like the fact that "under God" is in the pledge. If it were Congress that removed it that would be a completely different story. It shouldn't be changed because one guy files a lawsuit because he feels that he is somehow personally being persecuted.
    Maybe you and a few others who espouse apathy over this are ignorant of how social movements occur. Congress is NEVER at the fore of social movement or change. Usually these things start with a single person in a lawsuit or a small group that gains momentum over time. Not supporting a social movement because it is small is a bit... silly.

  10. #110
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,355
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    I disagree, the less ubiquitous religion is in society, the easier it is when there is a bigger issue.

    It kinda falls under the ongoing remediation and liberalization that we wish Islam would hurry through. It goes away piece by piece.
    Sometimes I think you have to pick your battles. Things like this strike me as crying wolf.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •