Page 95 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1034

Thread: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

  1. #941
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Early in this thread I researched the school and found a couple blogs where parents claimed that same-sex students were not an issue when they attended, and not before the current Admin took office.

    I'm to lazy to go back and look all that up, though, but I'm sure I linked to it.
    Jerry I bet you none of them ever came as a date to the prom before.......
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #942
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Oh I didn't know there were other proms set up. I left this thread for a while.

    Let's be clear, though, that this is not the school's doing. The school has for years welcomed same-sex couples.

    This is the doing of a single person, the Administrator, who singlehandedly denied the girl permission. It was not a board, there is no anti-gay wording in the dress-code or similar. This is one person's bigotry, not an entire school's.
    It had to be more than just one person. The trial that was already held pretty much determined that. The principal was the original person that she said told her she couldn't bring a same-sex date to the prom. And she said that she asked him, specifically because the rule had been there in the past. So obviously, it wasn't a just this year thing. Also, in one of the articles I saw, but can't seem to find again, the judge made note specifically on the fact that some school officials testified that they canceled it due to the disruption caused by to the learning environment, yet the principal himself testified contrary to this, saying that the learning environment wasn't disrupted.

    Lesbian gets day in court over nixed prom - USATODAY.com
    [ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/28221069/McMillen-vs-Itawamba-County-School"]McMillen vs. Itawamba County School[/ame]

    Note, it was the county's school Superintendent Teresa McNeece that was actually said to have canceled the prom. And the School Board Chairman Eddie Hood certainly testified for the school, because he is the one who said that there was another prom sponsored by the parents. Also, there was rules put out for prom that included that couples could only be opposite sex couples and that girls had to wear dresses and boys had to wear tuxes.



    You're wrong. It was the school district officials, multiple, not just one administrator, that were guilty of discrimination and canceled the prom. Also, the mayor of the town defended the actions of the school board, saying that he supported the decision. This isn't just one person.

    I will admit that I was wrong about the ticket price issue. From the link that I gave that has the actual court documents, Exhibit A (p. 10/20), says that a guest is someone outside of the Junior or Senior class of that school. This means that most likely it is because her gf is a sophomore that she had to buy her a guest ticket. But that does specify that guests had to be opposite sex. And this memo was written by Mrs. Sandy Prestige and Mrs. Sandra Sabino.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #943
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Early in this thread I researched the school and found a couple blogs where parents claimed that same-sex students were not an issue when they attended, and not before the current Admin took office.

    I'm to lazy to go back and look all that up, though, but I'm sure I linked to it.
    I just know what's in Memorandum of Authorities that was submitted to the court, which says the rule has been in effect for 20+ years.

  4. #944
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Also, this isn't the only time the school has been against cross-dressing this year.

    Trans Student Suspended from Same School in Mississippi That Canceled Prom, Later Hounded Out of Town | Slog | The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper
    School Dress Debate - WTVA.com

    Might be why Constance wanted to wear a tux to prom. She was probably trying to make a statement for Juin.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #945
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It had to be more than just one person. The trial that was already held pretty much determined that. The principal was the original person that she said told her she couldn't bring a same-sex date to the prom. And she said that she asked him, specifically because the rule had been there in the past. So obviously, it wasn't a just this year thing. Also, in one of the articles I saw, but can't seem to find again, the judge made note specifically on the fact that some school officials testified that they canceled it due to the disruption caused by to the learning environment, yet the principal himself testified contrary to this, saying that the learning environment wasn't disrupted.

    Lesbian gets day in court over nixed prom - USATODAY.com
    McMillen vs. Itawamba County School

    Note, it was the county's school Superintendent Teresa McNeece that was actually said to have canceled the prom. And the School Board Chairman Eddie Hood certainly testified for the school, because he is the one who said that there was another prom sponsored by the parents. Also, there was rules put out for prom that included that couples could only be opposite sex couples and that girls had to wear dresses and boys had to wear tuxes.



    You're wrong. It was the school district officials, multiple, not just one administrator, that were guilty of discrimination and canceled the prom. Also, the mayor of the town defended the actions of the school board, saying that he supported the decision. This isn't just one person.

    I will admit that I was wrong about the ticket price issue. From the link that I gave that has the actual court documents, Exhibit A (p. 10/20), says that a guest is someone outside of the Junior or Senior class of that school. This means that most likely it is because her gf is a sophomore that she had to buy her a guest ticket. But that does specify that guests had to be opposite sex. And this memo was written by Mrs. Sandy Prestige and Mrs. Sandra Sabino.
    So another official canceled the prom not because a gay couple would be attending, but because this was drummed up into so much drama that it was disrupting the school.

    That's not discrimination. Telling the gay couple they can't attend is discrimination, but canceling the prom due to disruption is not.

  6. #946
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So another official canceled the prom not because a gay couple would be attending, but because this was drummed up into so much drama that it was disrupting the school.

    That's not discrimination. Telling the gay couple they can't attend is discrimination, but canceling the prom due to disruption is not.
    But there were no disruptions to class until after the prom was canceled, if at all.

    Judge hears lesbian teen's suit to force prom | National news | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

    "We were being hounded every day. Our students were being hounded," McNeece said. "We were having a tough time of any bell-to-bell instruction."

    On cross-examination, school officials did not give specific examples of classroom disruptions.
    Who were they being hounded by, before the prom was canceled? Very few people even knew about the request outside the town, except for a couple of local newspeople. I can't see the local papers/stations hounding the school or the students before the board canceled the prom. If there were incidents during the school day, how come they can't give specific examples, or at least give who was doing the "hounding" and when. And where exactly, for that matter. Were there actually news people on school grounds, during the school day, prior to them canceling the prom to just cover the ACLU's request, who were disrupting classes?

    Now, after the school board canceled the prom, then it became huge, and I could actually see classes getting disrupted. But that would have been caused directly by the school board canceling the prom, not from Constance's request.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #947
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So another official canceled the prom not because a gay couple would be attending, but because this was drummed up into so much drama that it was disrupting the school.

    That's not discrimination. Telling the gay couple they can't attend is discrimination, but canceling the prom due to disruption is not.
    But the drama was justified because of the discrimination.

    Did you blame blacks for the "drama" of the civil rights movement too?

  8. #948
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    The bottom line is this:

    The school has the right to discriminate since there is no gay rights law in that state.

    The kids have the right to protest against this discrimination.

    There is no right to a prom, so the school can cancel it for whatever reason they want.

    None of this makes the school morally right, just legally right. Just like the schools that prohibited blacks and whites from going to the prom together in the early 60s were legally right but not morally right.

    And the way to change the law is to do exactly what these kids are doing -- bring attention to the injustice.

  9. #949
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But there were no disruptions to class until after the prom was canceled, if at all.

    Judge hears lesbian teen's suit to force prom | National news | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
    That's just one person's word against the other's, no real evidence either way.

  10. #950
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    The bottom line is this:

    The school has the right to discriminate since there is no gay rights law in that state.

    The kids have the right to protest against this discrimination.

    There is no right to a prom, so the school can cancel it for whatever reason they want.

    None of this makes the school morally right, just legally right. Just like the schools that prohibited blacks and whites from going to the prom together in the early 60s were legally right but not morally right.

    And the way to change the law is to do exactly what these kids are doing -- bring attention to the injustice.
    This incident is another example of why public education needs to be funded only through a voucher program. If you don't like gays being banned from the prom, you leave and the school looses funding. If enough people do the same, the school either reconsiders it's rule or closes, only to be bought up by another private investor who would have to allow gays in order to turn a profit.

    Free market ftw

Page 95 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •