Page 52 of 104 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 1034

Thread: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

  1. #511
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Typical answer when your beat...attack the messenger.......-
    NP, you have yet to make one rational, substantiated argument against homosexuality. You grasp onto social conservative talking points like they are candy and you think that somehow makes you a winner? Let's be clear on something up front. You are a bigot, by your own admission time and time again, and you have no rational to support your prejudice. Just go join the Westboro Baptist Church and hold up "God Hates America" signs already. They seem to know a hell of a lot about advocating for tolerance of intolerance.

  2. #512
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    Not sure if they are going for an orientation change. Nevertheless it is interesting they can alter behavior back and forth with a gene twist.
    It is interesting and I've read the study before. What the study really shows is that genetic alteration can cause behavior change. Unfortunately, many in the anti-gay camp have taken this study to prove that homosexuality can be changed. The study does NOT prove that.

    In the end what difference does it make if they think it but no longer do it?
    Several things. Firstly, it presents homosexuality as a disorder to be cured... which it is not. Secondly, all this does it alter a behavior; since the sexual orientation remains, THIS could cause one to be in distress because of the cognitive dissonance. Lastly, it is unknown what other effects this could have.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #513
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,455

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    It is interesting and I've read the study before. What the study really shows is that genetic alteration can cause behavior change. Unfortunately, many in the anti-gay camp have taken this study to prove that homosexuality can be changed. The study does NOT prove that..
    It does not prove the reverse either. If anything it proves pulling certain switches does have a real world effect.


    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Several things. Firstly, it presents homosexuality as a disorder to be cured... which it is not. Secondly, all this does it alter a behavior; since the sexual orientation remains, THIS could cause one to be in distress because of the cognitive dissonance. Lastly, it is unknown what other effects this could have.
    Which is a fairly recent development (mid 70s I believe) as a response to intense pressure from activist groups. They just did the same thing with GID.

    I would argue that successfully altering the behavior is an indicator of an avenue that can lead to other things to explore.
    Thank you

  4. #514
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    It does not prove the reverse either. If anything it proves pulling certain switches does have a real world effect.
    No, it only proves behavioral change. There is no evidence that it proves orientation change, You even said yourself that "what does it matter if they still think it?" If they still think, their orientation has not changed.




    Which is a fairly recent development (mid 70s I believe) as a response to intense pressure from activist groups. They just did the same thing with GID.
    No, it was a response to pressure to look at methodologically sound research, as opposed to the non-valid and non-reliable research that had been used to present homosexuality as a disorder. The "mental illness" concept of homosexuality, has been thoroughly debunked by credible, valid, and reliable research.

    I would argue that successfully altering the behavior is an indicator of an avenue that can lead to other things to explore.
    Altering other behavior? Sure. Bust since sexual orientation is more complex than just genetics, I'm not so sure this will lead to the kinds of results you might be suggesting.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #515
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Yeah, right, we consider it a compliment when you call us homophobes, etc., because we have a different opinion.......
    Helpful Tip: Don't put Homophobe on a job application.

    Re: Difference of Opinion - Fair enough. But when SCOTUS tosses out Prop 8 and states begin making their marriage/adoption laws constitutional, your fear-based way of thinking (which you call 'opinion') will mean less and less...

  6. #516
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    It does not prove the reverse either. If anything it proves pulling certain switches does have a real world effect.




    Which is a fairly recent development (mid 70s I believe) as a response to intense pressure from activist groups. They just did the same thing with GID.

    I would argue that successfully altering the behavior is an indicator of an avenue that can lead to other things to explore.
    Do you think someone could "just pull a switch" and change your sexual orientation?
    Or even cause you to act upon a sexual orientation different than the one you have now?

  7. #517
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,455

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, it only proves behavioral change. There is no evidence that it proves orientation change, You even said yourself that "what does it matter if they still think it?" If they still think, their orientation has not changed...
    I am pretty sure I never said that it did. Only that real world behavior is affected.




    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, it was a response to pressure to look at methodologically sound research, as opposed to the non-valid and non-reliable research that had been used to present homosexuality as a disorder. The "mental illness" concept of homosexuality, has been thoroughly debunked by credible, valid, and reliable research.
    .
    Which is all still being debated to this day as evidenced by this thread.
    GID and HS could all very well be "no problem at all" but if this is so how come there is a measurable and long line of factual data indicating a much higher risk of mood disorders, anxiety disorders, major depression, or a mix of several? I hope you will avoid the knee jerk reaction of its all someone elses fault as if the same psychological persecuter resides in millions of homes all over the world.

    I will assume you are already aware of all this since you appear to be well educated in this area.


    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Altering other behavior? Sure. Bust since sexual orientation is more complex than just genetics, I'm not so sure this will lead to the kinds of results you might be suggesting.
    Possibilities are just that. Are you suggesting its impossible gene alteration alone can affect an individual to great extent?

    I am beginning to think this is pointless.

    I could care less about orientation and focus more on behavior and you seem to be focused on orientation and care less about behavior.

    I am not sure why anyone cares about orientation anyway if the behavior can be controlled. Applies to lots of things.
    Last edited by akyron; 03-13-10 at 07:47 PM.
    Thank you

  8. #518
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,455

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Do you think someone could "just pull a switch" and change your sexual orientation?
    Or even cause you to act upon a sexual orientation different than the one you have now?
    Why would I not have genes like anyone else? These scientists play with the building blocks of the universe all the time.
    Put in a quarter to play.
    Thank you

  9. #519
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Follow the chain here Navy. You said gays where intolerant of straits. I asked you to prove it, you say look at this thread, I point out it's not gay people arguing with you, and now you say you don't have to be gay to call names? What does that have to do with what is being said. Now, let's start over...can you prove that gays are intolerant of straits as you claim?
    You must be blind redress..If you don't see the lefties calling us homophobe, etc I don't know what to tell you.......
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #520
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,298
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You must be blind redress..If you don't see the lefties calling us homophobe, etc I don't know what to tell you.......
    Which has exactly what to do with gays being intolerant of straits? Answer the quest navy and stop changing the topic. You said gays where intolerant of straits, a statement you still have not backed up, which is true of all your statements in this thread.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •