Page 30 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 1034

Thread: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

  1. #291
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    My position is based on preserving cultural integrity, and risking its undermining is enough for me to be concerned.
    Our cultural integrity is dependent on the type of formal wear that students choose for prom?

    Infact they do.
    The burden of proof is on the affirmative.

    Maybe they are vital and current.
    They are out of step with the majority of schools nationwide, I suspect. And probably, with the majority of schools in Mississippi. That's a good indicator that they are not vital and current.

    My daughter's school requires APPROPRIATE formal attire. The dresses and/or formalwear that the students wear must fit the same requirements of clothing on a normal school day. that means no bare midriffs, shoulders, etc.

    I have considerably more concern about girls EXPOSING THEMSELVES at prom than I do about a girl in a tux. A tux would certainly be more modest than the average prom gown.

    Have you considered that?

    The goal of prom is to reinforce gender roles? Wow. I'm guessing you don't have a lot of interaction with teenagers.

  2. #292
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    .

    Dont try equating being gay with being black, that is absurd.
    I didn't. Interracial could also mean Asian and white, latino and black, or pretty much any other racial/ethnic pairing between to recognized racial divisions.

    But this is the same argument. It's about attraction to a certain type of person, whether it be someone of a different color or ancestry, someone of the same or opposite sex, someone with certain body features or characteristics, i.e. hair color, eye color, body size, or even someone with certain personality or intelligence traits. This isn't about a person, this is about attraction of a person to someone else. And if you are going to allow that to be limited for any reason, than it is not impossible to compare it to other similar limitations.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #293
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Hold a mirror up to this comment and you will then know how the other side feels about how your side behaves.
    Actually...I DO go about my life...live my life...and do my best to love and accept everypne..even those I disagree with.

    Oh...I get there is a bit of a difference. The point is I work with a fairly large percentage of homosexuals who simply live their lives and are actually HAPPY. The ones that ARENT are the ones that seek happiness by OTHER PEOPLE bending to accept them.

  4. #294
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Our cultural integrity is dependent on the type of formal wear that students choose for prom?



    The burden of proof is on the affirmative.



    They are out of step with the majority of schools nationwide, I suspect. And probably, with the majority of schools in Mississippi. That's a good indicator that they are not vital and current.

    My daughter's school requires APPROPRIATE formal attire. The dresses and/or formalwear that the students wear must fit the same requirements of clothing on a normal school day. that means no bare midriffs, shoulders, etc.

    I have considerably more concern about girls EXPOSING THEMSELVES at prom than I do about a girl in a tux. A tux would certainly be more modest than the average prom gown.

    Have you considered that?
    But Catz... girlies can't wear PANTS! It would start a chain reaction that could bring about the next apocalypse!!

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Oh...I get there is a bit of a difference. The point is I work with a fairly large percentage of homosexuals who simply live their lives and are actually HAPPY. The ones that ARENT are the ones that seek happiness by OTHER PEOPLE bending to accept them.
    I don't believe that much bending is required to allow a high school student to select the date of his/her choice and dress within the constraints of their school dress code.

    Believe it or not, there are girls out there who aren't particularly comfortable in a dress. In most schools, they are allowed to wear equivalent appropriate formalwear.

    I don't believe that this has resulted in massive social upheaval.

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    But Catz... girlies can't wear PANTS! It would start a chain reaction that could bring about the next apocalypse!!
    We're talking a disaster of biblical proportions....

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZOKDmorj0"]YouTube- Biblical Proportions[/ame]

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Anti-gay prom bias wins the prize | theCLog


    Marlene Dietrich, contributing to the downfall of Western Society since the 1940s...

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    You know, this happened last year in Alabama, too.

    Russellville, Alabama School Prom Discrimination | American Civil Liberties Union

    Two girls went to prom together, the world did not end. In Alabama, no less.

    From the ACLU, on the subject:

    Do I have the right to take a same-sex date to the prom?

    Yes. A student’s choice to take a same-sex date to a prom, or any other school function, is a political statement protected by the First Amendment. In 1980 a gay student in Rhode Island sued his school for refusing to let him attend his senior prom with a male date, and won. The court concluded that unless the school had a solid factual basis for believing that a same-gender couple would cause severe disruption, the school had to permit everyone to attend with his or her chosen date. The court even required that the school provide security in case the couple was harassed. (Fricke v. Lynch, 1980). Also, Title IX bars a school from discriminating by gender in its prom invitations.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 03-12-10 at 04:43 PM.

  9. #299
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    It wouldnt envitably fail as a direct result, but it does undermine our society and leads to long term decay.
    So because you have this imagined scenario of the future, that you base on zero evidence except your own preconceived notions, we should treat certain people like ****.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #300
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Anti-gay prom bias wins the prize | theCLog


    Marlene Dietrich, contributing to the downfall of Western Society since the 1940s...
    Why don't movie stars from this generation look nearly as good as those from the 30-50's?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 30 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •