Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1034

Thread: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jefferson State
    Last Seen
    11-25-12 @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    So we can't trust the states to protect individual rights, but we can trust the federal government? Would you have said the same thing two years ago?
    You'd think we'd be able to trust common sense.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    On one hand the school district is allowed to cancel such events. On the other hand, they are complete bigots for canceling a prom just so ONE student won't bring a same sex date. Seriously, anybody who thinks education should be left up to the states doesn't have a clue what 'states' do when they control education. The story is in the history books.
    This wasn't a state decision, it was a local decision, and it will create its own fallout amongst the locals. After all, the local school board made this decision, and they are elected by locals. I have a feeling that you're going to have a few hundredpissed off teenagers, as a result, and that's going to equate to some pissed off parents. You don't mess with a teenager's prom.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 03-11-10 at 04:31 PM.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    The school has a duty to not promote deviant behavior..............
    WRONG.

    The school has a duty to teach academics, hold its extracurriculars, and administrate education while remaining morally neutral on matters of personal choice, parental rights to raise the children in a way ethically and morally congruent with the parents' wishes, and to not make end runs around discrimination policies.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    So we can't trust the states to protect individual rights, but we can trust the federal government? Would you have said the same thing two years ago?
    I do not trust individual states when it comes to support for civil rights(given their track record, specifically Southern states like Mississippi). I do not trust the government when it says it wants to have a Patriot Act that allows it to wiretap phones without warrants. I do trust it to create policy on education. What are we discussing?

    On a related note, I also believe that the U.S. should have a single curriculum taught across every state. We're one of the few industrialized nations that doesn't have the same curriculum nation wide. It is embarrassing that in the year 2010 we still have schools trying to sneak in non-scientific bull**** into our schools.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #25
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    This wasn't a state decision, it was a local decision, and it will create its own fallout amongst the locals. After all, the local school board made this decision, and they are elected by locals. I have a feeling that you're going to have a couple of thousand pissed off teenagers, as a result, and that's going to equate to around 3,000 pissed off parents. You don't mess with a teenager's prom.
    Thank you. When I said states I guess I should have been clear. I'm strongly opposed to localized policy making when it comes to school. I mean I guess the school should have control over how things are carried out but ultimately it is a very bad idea to give them control over the way students should behave. I'd understand if this kid was walking into a prom wearing leather chaps and singing ABBA. But they canceled a prom because she wanted to go to prom wearing a tux? Oh FFS.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Thank you. When I said states I guess I should have been clear. I'm strongly opposed to localized policy making when it comes to school. I mean I guess the school should have control over how things are carried out but ultimately it is a very bad idea to give them control over the way students should behave. I'd understand if this kid was walking into a prom wearing leather chaps and singing ABBA. But they canceled a prom because she wanted to go to prom wearing a tux? Oh FFS.
    Basically, there were probably a few administrators high up on the pecking order who decided to exert their authoritah in a way that is completely outside the boundaries of their actual powers. You know the types...a couple of "preacher's wives teachers" that are the school busybodies and have their hands in everything except keeping their own house in order.

    I guess you'd just have to go to a rural school to know what I am talking about.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    I went to a suburban school, but I know what you're talking about.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Basically, there were probably a few administrators high up on the pecking order who decided to exert their authoritah in a way that is completely outside the boundaries of their actual powers. You know the types...a couple of "preacher's wives teachers" that are the school busybodies and have their hands in everything except keeping their own house in order.

    I guess you'd just have to go to a rural school to know what I am talking about.
    I think what pisses me off about the entire thing is that now the blame is on the gay kid. All she wanted was to go to prom with her gf. That anybody can be so opposed to homosexuality that they'd cancel the entire prom to get their way is quite scary. The blame should be on the f'n bigots who canceled the prom.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think what pisses me off about the entire thing is that now the blame is on the gay kid. All she wanted was to go to prom with her gf. That anybody can be so opposed to homosexuality that they'd cancel the entire prom to get their way is quite scary. The blame should be on the f'n bigots who canceled the prom.
    There is a ridiculous amount of idiots in Mississippi.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I went to a suburban school, but I know what you're talking about.
    I figured someone would. In small schools, all it takes is one of those sour faced hags that douches with lysol to stay pine fresh like a good little woman. She waits on her preacher husband hand and foot when she's at home and comes to work for the sole purpose of terrorizing all the kids that actually have futures and might leave that backwater town. And then when she's got an opportunity to get them all AND blame it on anyone but her own piss poor attitude and does something extreme like cancels the prom, no one stands up to her because she's on every single committee and it just isn't worth it. So now you have a whole class that misses out on one of the biggest events in high school...
    Last edited by jallman; 03-11-10 at 04:52 PM.

Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •