Page 23 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 1034

Thread: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

  1. #221
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post

    Man, I would have given my left nut to see two chicks dancin' and makin' out at my prom. (Well, actually I did. But that's just because I was so drunk I was seeing double. But that's another talk show.)
    Actually happened at mine. It was hott at first, but then it was meh. Although when at the after party in the pool...yeah that was beyond hott.

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    I disagree, hate is a very natural emotion.....
    It doesn't apply to this case though, but common sense does & should.....
    Did you not read the story?

    This backwards school board tried to prevent a girl from coming to her own prom simply because of her sexual orientation.

    Intelligent people understand that's the way she was born. She had no choice in the matter.

    It's sickening that people like that are running a school...

    Ever see a movie called Inherit the Wind? It's what happens when people cling blindly to religion...

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No one here claimed it is. However, going to school in a reasonably safe and comfortable atmosphere without undue mental and emotional hardship being placed on you by the administration is a right.



    Ok...maybe if I type slow, you'll read slowly:

    No one is claiming the she is being denied some fictitious "right" to the prom. What is being claimed is that this administrator was so committed to her desire to discriminate against this one student that she punished all the students when the girl exercised her legal rights to seek recourse for change and it looked like she might succeed. The woman's commitment to seeing this girl's individuality suppressed based on nothing more than a moral disapproval was so great that she created district wide mandates as an afterthought just to target this girl. And when that didn't work, she stopped the function which has now left the girl open to ridicule and the resentment of her peers all because this administrator was unable to put her prejudices aside and do her ****ing job.

    Is that a little more clear?
    It's not my reading, it's your damn avatar...you were anti-Obama before it was cool.

    All I see coming of this thread is more of the same, from both sides. It's not discrimination if there's no right. Prom is not a right, therefore the administrator's actions are not discrimination even while they're distasteful.

    The ridicule from her peers is the fault of her peers, not the administrator, and they're just pissed about the prom, not really about her being a lesbian.

    What I don't understand is why she went to the ACLU. I mean yeah I get the argument, but why didn't she just let things be and show up on prom night, Let the school try to stop her from entering and then call the cops?

    See that's what blacks did. They didn't just file complaints, they actually went to these things and let school officials stand in their way. That's how they got **** don.

    Now it's to late, there's nothing to be prevented from doing, there's nothing on the other side of the door for an administrator to have her picture taken while blocking these girl's path.

    • The 'rights' argument fails every time it's tried, and here it doesn't even apply so that's a double fail.

    • Even if it did apply, prom is such a petty thing to cat fight over that it only makes this girl look like an attention whore. This is the wrong battle.

    • She shot her cause in the foot with mismanagement by not letting the school actually physically stop her from entering the dance, so even if school dances were a right and this was a good battle to pick, she blew it.

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Why don't they want to attend as a couple of ladies? Why does one of them want to cross-dress at a formal occasion?

    Imo it wouldn't be acceptable for a male gay couple to attend as anything other than a coupe of gentlemen; it would be just as out of place for one of them to wear a dress.

  5. #225
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    I agree that no one has a right to go to the prom. You can't sue because they cancelled it.

    I also agree that the cancellation was wrong, much as how schools in the south cancelled proms in the 60s and 70s in order to keep interracial couples from attending.

  6. #226
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    i was going to wear a dress to my valedictorian dinner, until they said i wouldn't be allowed in if i did
    why? were you gonna shave your legs?



  7. #227
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    by that logic pedophilia would be legal if a child agrees to it.
    Children are not legally allowed to make decisions regarding the sexual consent they give. Two adults are.

    Our legal system does not allow for polygamy because of the unnecessary changes marriage laws would undergo. This is not the case for gay marriage. If they divorce, the homo with the most money pays the other spousal support. If they have kids the poor homo gets the house and kids and money. Simple changes.

    Horses do not give consent. At least not in a way any human can understand.

    Neither do goats.

    Do you have any other ridiculous examples you'd like to bring up? Because I'm sick of you bigots diluting homosexuality with red herrings.

    PS: I am a black man and you'll find very few people on this forum who are willing to support the civil rights movement more than I . No. I am not offended when gays identify with the movement of Martin Luther King Jr.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 03-12-10 at 01:21 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #228
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What I don't understand is why she went to the ACLU. I mean yeah I get the argument, but why didn't she just let things be and show up on prom night, Let the school try to stop her from entering and then call the cops?
    Mississippi is not a place where you want to go around pissing off the locals in obscure sections of the state.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's not discrimination if there's no right.
    I call BS on this. Trying growing up gay and then come tell me that discrimination doesn't exist because there aren't 10,000 laws for all of the potential scenarios that gay people may find themselves in. Do you know what equal rights are? Stop feigning obtuseness. You KNOW this was discrimination.

    Likewise, they can't keep her and her girlfriend out of a prom at a public school because no law exists saying that same-sex couples can't attend prom. That was a rule that this public school invented according to the moral values of one administrator. She doesn't have the right to decide that homosexuals are excluded from an event inclusive of the student body, and neither do you. The courts will be ruling in her favor shortly.

    If it was a private school they could determine whatever they want.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The ridicule from her peers is the fault of her peers, not the administrator, and they're just pissed about the prom, not really about her being a lesbian.
    Really? You've personally interviewed them all?

    If these are the actions of her school admin, I can only imagine what the student body is like. This girl is brave for standing up in such a bigoted environment, and you do her a great disservice by refusing to acknowledge that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What I don't understand is why she went to the ACLU. I mean yeah I get the argument, but why didn't she just let things be and show up on prom night, Let the school try to stop her from entering and then call the cops?
    You can't understand why a 17 year old wouldn't want to just show up at a prom in a school where the admins don't like her for who she is, are actively trying to oppress her individuality, and where the student body is likely equally as harsh? Please, don't tell me you can't connect the dots here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    See that's what blacks did. They didn't just file complaints, they actually went to these things and let school officials stand in their way. That's how they got **** don.
    That's nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    [*]The 'rights' argument fails every time it's tried, and here it doesn't even apply so that's a double fail.
    The only place where a debate about the "right" to go to prom took place was in your mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    [*]Even if it did apply, prom is such a petty thing to cat fight over that it only makes this girl look like an attention whore. This is the wrong battle.
    I think it's the perfect battle and she's brave for taking it on, instead of taking it sitting down. You're just annoyed by the progression and enforcement of gay rights, it's plain as day. But by all means, keep giving yourself a hernia every time something like this happens and the system doesn't take your side. It's your health, bucko.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    [*]She shot her cause in the foot with mismanagement by not letting the school actually physically stop her from entering the dance, so even if school dances were a right and this was a good battle to pick, she blew it.
    How did she blow it? She's going to win her court case, and then the school will be forced to comply. It will set a precedent for all future generations of same-sex prom goers in the State of MI. Sounds like a victory to me.

    Only in your own head did she fail. And you're clinging to the weak argument that the way she went about it made her a failure.

    Your reasoning is quite pathetic Jerry. You can't acknowledge the fact that she was discriminated against, nor that the administration over reacted and behaved inappropriately in the public system. On top of that, you have moderate, left and right wing posters at DP all attacking you. At this point you are just embarrassing yourself.

    It's you who has picked the wrong battle today. This was a poor choice for trying to run your workarounds on gay rights issues.

    But by all means, just keep doing the broken record routine. Maybe if we keep reading the same thing over and over again, we'll be bored to the point of retardation and might fall for it.

  10. #230
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes we are, the legal definition has bearing because the school's response was in reaction to legal action.

    As per the Lemon Test the thing you are not being allowed access to must be a civil right. School dances are not civil rights. If the school holds a dance then it has to be open to all students, but there's no mandate to have a dance at all.

    Perhaps it's over reaction but the school is perfectly within their rights to just shut the whole thing down.
    Sure they can shut it down. However, the point that you are missing is the "why" which is the crux of this entire thing. Without that, this story could be about anything.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 23 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •