Page 18 of 104 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 1034

Thread: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well first, your argument doesn't make sense. "Prom" isn't being abolished for EVERY school, just like "marriage" is never going to be abolished by "the gays" in any singular way from all sectors of government AND religion.

    Second, YES, if it was looking likely that it was going to be found unconstitutional to not let gays marry and so in reaction the government banishes all forms of marriage for everyone that would be the governments fault for grossly over reacting to get around following the law, NOT the people pushing for the right to be married
    At that point gays should stand down and not pursue marriage so that others can.

    But then, they should back off now.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-11-10 at 07:50 PM.

  2. #172
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Few problems to that:

    1. There's no guarantee the school lets it go back on
    2. There's nothing saying that her parents would allow or could allow such a party to happen
    3. Still deprives her of what is considered by many a integral childhood memory and puts the students into a situation of choosing one or the other.

    Not to mention that:

    1. Causes the issue to stay in place and for the discrimination to continue on
    2. Reinforces to the school that they can get away with things simply by punishing everyone in an over reactive manner rather than deal with their bigotry.

    This is solely the schools fault. If they were in the right with this rule then they could just say "we're not changing it, if you want to sue sue, you'll lose" and could have the prom. If they know they're not in the right and they'd lose then they're trying to circumvent having to actually follow the law by punishing every single kid in the school. If they're unsure as to whether they'd win or not, they are still trying to potentially circumvent having to follow the law by punishing every single kid in the school.

    It should be the school buckling, not the kid.
    While I agree that the fault lies entirely with the school. Jerry's suggestion is tactically sound. Apparently many of her peers are blaming her for there not being a prom. If she announced that she was willing to stay home so that everyone else could have their heterosexual prom, that would move all the blame off of her.

    1. There's no guarantee the school lets it go back on
    If it didn't that would be entirely the schools fault, and no one would have an excuse to blame her anymore.

    2. There's nothing saying that her parents would allow or could allow such a party to happen
    Why wouldn't they?

    3. Still deprives her of what is considered by many a integral childhood memory and puts the students into a situation of choosing one or the other.
    She is being deprived either way. If she is seen as "taking one for the team" that automatically makes the school the bad guy.

    1. Causes the issue to stay in place and for the discrimination to continue on
    No more so than not having a prom does.

    2. Reinforces to the school that they can get away with things simply by punishing everyone in an over reactive manner rather than deal with their bigotry.
    Good. The more they cast themselves as the villains but punishing everyone they can, the more support they will lose.

    You can bet that if the girl offered to stay home so that others could have a prom despite the school's unreasonableness, that she would achieve martyrlike status to many students whose proms she saved. Then they would grow up to make less idiotic decisions about that sort of thing when they become school board members themselves.

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I somehow doubt you would do that, and not be instead incensed that the school was trying to make you a villain. Of course, this is unprovable, but I am fairly confident of that.

    She should not be in a position such as this. She did nothing wrong, the school overreacted. There is no reason she should be punished for doing nothing wrong.

    You called her an attention whore for daring to ask for a change to rules. Are you backing away from that now and admitting that was a huge overreaction on your part?
    No I called her an attention whore for not backing off after everyone was suffering.

    It would be one thing is the entire student body were fighting for this, but it's just the 2 of them and the ACLU. The rest of the student body would rather have the prom.

    I guess I've already had enough of the entire unit being punished with extra PT just because 1 or 2 couldn't get their **** together.

  4. #174
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No I called her an attention whore for not backing off after everyone was suffering.

    It would be one thing is the entire student body were fighting for this, but it's just the 2 of them and the ACLU.

    I guess I've already had enough of the entire unit being punished with extra PT just because 1 or 2 couldn't get their **** together.
    Yeah, that makes sense, blame the victims. She did not cancel prom, it's not her fault, she is not to blame for anything here. You show once again just how wrong you are with this with your PT comparison, since again, the fault is entirely, 100 % with the school.

    I am glad we have young people in this country who are willing to stand up for their ideals, and do not cut and run when the going gets tough.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #175
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Then we should be celebrating this event, not condemning it.

    The glass is half full: that school no longer holds discriminating proms.
    The school is still practicing discrimination by refusing to hold the prom because of this issue. I think you are aware that your logic is faulty, here.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #176
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    At that point gays should stand down and not pursue marriage so that others can.

    But then, they should back off now.
    I disagree, but then I ascribe to the position that government should only be involved in civil unions and religion should only be involved in marriage... a different debate.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The school is still practicing discrimination by refusing to hold the prom because of this issue. I think you are aware that your logic is faulty, here.
    Well, no, they're actually not because no student is being treated any differently than any other.

    Attending a prom would have to be a civil right for there to be discrimination anyway. Are you prepared to argue that prom...PROM of all things is a civil right? Marriage is a civil right, the prom is not. Prom is on the level of voting? Really? Prom is the same as equal work for equal pay? Are you ****ing serious?

    This is so 90210.

    Like omg we like totally have a right to go to the prom fer sher.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-11-10 at 08:02 PM.

  8. #178
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well, no, they're actually not because no student is being treated any differently than any other.

    Attending a prom would have to be a civil right for there to be discrimination anyway. Are you prepared to argue that prom...PROM of all things is a civil right? Marriage is a civil right, the prom is not. Prom is on the level of voting? Really? Prom is the same as equal work for equal pay? Are you ****ing serious?

    This is so 90210.

    Like omg we like totally have a right to go to the prom fer sher.
    I am not arguing that prom is a civil right. Are you actually arguing that the prom was canceled for any reason other than being discriminatory? We are not talking about a legal definition in regards to discrimination.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #179
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Mississippi School Cancels Prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense, blame the victims. She did not cancel prom, it's not her fault, she is not to blame for anything here. You show once again just how wrong you are with this with your PT comparison, since again, the fault is entirely, 100 % with the school.

    I am glad we have young people in this country who are willing to stand up for their ideals, and do not cut and run when the going gets tough.
    When backing down better accomplishes the goal, it is the nobler course.

    What is going to happen now is that a wealthy homophobic family will shell out some dough to "save the prom." Then they will be cast as the heroes and she will be cast as the villain. If she offers to "take one for the team" then she saved the prom, casting her as the hero, and the school as the villain. If the school still refuses to host the prom, it will only serve to entrench them further in their own villainous role, but the heat will still be taken off of the girl.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lesbian teen back at Miss. school after prom flap

    Just like voting for the President, equality only applies if there's a vote, but there doesn't have to be a vote at all.

    If there's a prom then everyone has to be admitted, but there doesn't even have to be a prom.

Page 18 of 104 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •