Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 95

Thread: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    WASHINGTON — One bride wore a knee-length lace dress and pearls. The other bride wore a yellow shirt and white suit. And when a pastor pronounced them "partners in life this day and for always" Tuesday, they hugged and smiled in front of wedding guests and nearly a dozen TV cameras and reporters.


    On the first day same-sex couples could marry in Washington, brides Angelisa Young and Sinjoyla Townsend were the first of three couples taking the plunge in morning ceremonies at the offices of the Human Rights Campaign, which does advocacy work on gay, lesbian and transgender issues. Other ceremonies were planned throughout the day.
    You know, I am really torn on this. Why? Because when was who got married any of the government's damn business anyways? When our forefathers got married, they just did it, and didn't need a license. It was only racism in the south and eugenics in the north that brought about marriage licenses. If my wife and I had to get married again, we would just do it, and give the government a big, fat, middle finger, by not registering and getting their damn license. We would be married, whether or not the government approved of it. It's not their domain, and they have absolutely no say in it.

    However, having said that, I will now say congratulations to brides and grooms, brides and brides, and grooms and grooms, wherever they may find themselves at the altar, whether that altar is religious or secular.

    Article is here.
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-10-10 at 12:57 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    There's nothing that prevents gays from getting married. Civil unions have been around a long time, and the commitment shouldn't be any different if they're serious about it.

    They just insist on doing it in your face and forcing you to recognize it as MARRIAGE. It's like a gay parade; you always have those few that have to come out on their hands and knees with dog collars and leashes, or dressed up like Liza Minelli. They just want to get in your face about it.

  3. #3
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    There's nothing that prevents gays from getting married. Civil unions have been around a long time, and the commitment shouldn't be any different if they're serious about it.
    It's about fairness. Would you say that for a certain type of heterosexual couple? How about old couples? Interracial couples? Old man/young woman or vice versa couple? Sterile couple? Non-religious couple? They can get a civil union, so what's the problem? So what if they aren't recognized by the federal government with all the same rights and privileges and responsibilities of those that go to a legally married couple? Same old argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    They just insist on doing it in your face and forcing you to recognize it as MARRIAGE. It's like a gay parade; you always have those few that have to come out on their hands and knees with dog collars and leashes, or dressed up like Liza Minelli. They just want to get in your face about it.
    If you don't like what's going on in those parades, don't watch them.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #4
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It's about fairness. Would you say that for a certain type of heterosexual couple? How about old couples? Interracial couples? Old man/young woman or vice versa couple? Sterile couple? Non-religious couple? They can get a civil union, so what's the problem? So what if they aren't recognized by the federal government with all the same rights and privileges and responsibilities of those that go to a legally married couple? Same old argument.



    If you don't like what's going on in those parades, don't watch them.
    could we all please just realize that any union outside a church is only a civil union, and not a marriage?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    They just insist on doing it in your face and forcing you to recognize it as MARRIAGE. It's like a gay parade; you always have those few that have to come out on their hands and knees with dog collars and leashes, or dressed up like Liza Minelli. They just want to get in your face about it.
    No more different then a heterosexual couple getting married in public places or making out. Heterosexuals can "get in your face" just as much as homosexuals do.

  6. #6
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    could we all please just realize that any union outside a church is only a civil union, and not a marriage?
    Only if you want to change the legal definition of marriage, and change all the laws involving marriage.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #7
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    could we all please just realize that any union outside a church is only a civil union, and not a marriage?
    Someone should tell the military then. My husband and I got married on his aunt's horse farm, by a Navy spouse who drove out from Norfolk to perform the ceremony for us. In fact, a common thing now is for some Navy personnel to get legally ordained and then they perform weddings for their buddies.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #8
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Only if you want to change the legal definition of marriage, and change all the laws involving marriage.
    marriage is the word everybody is hung up on........and i don't think a "marriage" at a jp is any more than a civil union.
    it's certainly not a religious union.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    marriage is the word everybody is hung up on........and i don't think a "marriage" at a jp is any more than a civil union.
    it's certainly not a religious union.
    Marriage has in this country certain legal rights and responsibilities. It's a legal term. You can't discount that.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #10
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    marriage is the word everybody is hung up on........and i don't think a "marriage" at a jp is any more than a civil union.
    it's certainly not a religious union.
    Depends on the person's religion. Some religious union ceremonies are extremely private. Others are done outside a church normally. No religion owns the word "marriage".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •