Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 95

Thread: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That is of course wrong as anyone can see in looking through the voting record - but yes, way off track and irrelevant to forum members reminiscing about their early days in the Democrat party.
    LOL -- reminiscing, hardly. It's sad that with all the big strides forward we take as a nation, so-called Christian Americans got drag a step back in time...

    And that's a jackass assumption to make--because I'm pro equal rights and protection, I'm a Democrat....?? Why would you say something so stupid?

    Jeez, and I thought you far-rights respected the constitution. Too many hot dogs in the room and you get all squirmy...is that it?

  2. #82
    Educator Dogger807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    979

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    I just want to say that the trend for this issue is evident . Our children are not going to think twice about gay marriage, it's going to be an accepted fact of life. Sure there will still be jerks around against it , but they'll have egual status as the people still prejudice against blacks today. I'm hoping people like navy pride are still around when this happens because I look forward to making him and his like eat their words. And since they are nothing more than words of hate, I expect them to be awful bitter.
    Ignorance is the refuge of faith
    It's become very apparent that there is nothing respectable about faith
    "If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people"

  3. #83
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    There's nothing that prevents gays from getting married. Civil unions have been around a long time, and the commitment shouldn't be any different if they're serious about it.

    They just insist on doing it in your face and forcing you to recognize it as MARRIAGE. It's like a gay parade; you always have those few that have to come out on their hands and knees with dog collars and leashes, or dressed up like Liza Minelli. They just want to get in your face about it.
    My question is simply;
    Exactly how many same sex weddings do you get invited to?

  4. #84
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    These are universal truths persistent throughout human history regardless of time or culture, and no shallow political activist group is going to change that.
    The appendix has been persistent throughout human history. Dosn't mean we can't do without it though.

  5. #85
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I don't because none of those are federal benefits.......

    Everyone is treated equally....Gays can marry anyone of the opposite sex just as I can.....
    I have no problem with that. As long as they can use the exact same criteria that you use when choosing a parner.

    Wait. They can't.

    Looks like we have a problem..

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    The appendix has been persistent throughout human history. Dosn't mean we can't do without it though.
    Good example, as no law can change what an appendix is either.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,168

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    And that's a jackass assumption to make--because I'm pro equal rights and protection, I'm a Democrat....?? Why would you say something so stupid?
    You being the king of jackass assumptions and pointless insinuations, I thought I'd see what happens when its tossed your way.

    I mean, really -- how many more times are you going to try to pin jim crow on people who don't support state-recognition of gay marriage?

  8. #88
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Good example, as no law can change what an appendix is either.
    Yes it can. It can deffine an appendix as a Marraige if it so wishes.
    And just like that law, it won't effect your marraige in the least.

    Or you can just cut the whole darn thing out if you so wish.

  9. #89
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,168

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    Yes it can. It can deffine an appendix as a Marraige if it so wishes.
    And just like that law, it won't effect your marraige in the least.

    Or you can just cut the whole darn thing out if you so wish.
    Don't you agree that whether or not something will "effect your marraige" is fairly irrelevant to a discussion on whether or not to recognize SSM?

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    Yes it can. It can deffine an appendix as a Marraige if it so wishes.
    Right, and any such law does not change an appendix.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    And just like that law, it won't effect your marraige in the least.
    Any discussion of gay-marriage automatically precludes my marriage as I'm not gay, therefore so what if it doesn't affect my marriage. I'm effected by other people's marriages in other perfectly valid ways. I say gay-marriage does effect my marriage though symbolic interactionism, that changing the institution changes every marriage in that institution, but so what? Effecting me is not a requirement to support or oppose in any way.

    Calling back to polygamy, maybe I wouldn't want to support it because of how Obama's UHC would raise my taxes to cover additional spouses. Maybe there are special rules which I think are harmful to the economy.

    Maybe I could show how polygamy creates a step-parent dynamic within the lawfully married polygamist group and how this dynamic harms the children of that home is ways identical to step-parent couples typically do.

    Maybe there's no problem with polygamy itself, but in it's modern context legalizing polygamy would give a harmful cultural force (sharia law) political influence I'd rather they didn't have.

    It doesn't have to effect my marriage for me to oppose.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-11-10 at 10:39 AM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •