Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 95

Thread: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

  1. #41
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,782

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    All opposition to gay marriage boils down to "I don't like it and therefore they shouldn't have it."
    Conservatives have managed to convince themselves that gay marriage is about them. I can't really figure out how they did that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    All opposition to gay marriage boils down to "I don't like it and therefore they shouldn't have it."
    That's what everything boils down to.

    What's your point?

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Conservatives have managed to convince themselves that gay marriage is about them. I can't really figure out how they did that.
    If it's not about us then per pro-gm arguments we shouldn't care, therefore the only way for us to give our support is for it to be about us in some way.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    They're benefits of marriage. The exact nature varies state by state, but these benefits are denied to same-sex couples.You're splitting hairs, and doing it badly. Why do you oppose these benefits to same-sex couples?
    Most of those benefits you can get with a will...You don't have to be married.....There are no so called married gays receiving Gov. benefits.....
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #45
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's what everything boils down to.

    What's your point?


    So you think that all laws are basically people saying they don't like something and therefore no one should enjoy it?

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post


    So you think that all laws are basically people saying they don't like something and therefore no one should enjoy it?
    Not all laws, just those laws which ban or restrict something.

    I don't like drunk driving, therefore I don't think others should enjoy drunk driving.

    See you're ignoring why people don't like something, passing it off as mere bias by assuming there couldn't be any rational behind their dislike.

  7. #47
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Not all laws, just those laws which ban or restrict something.

    I don't like drunk driving, therefore I don't think others should enjoy drunk driving.

    See you're ignoring why people don't like something, passing it off as mere bias by assuming there couldn't be any rational behind their dislike.

    No, I am not assuming anything. I am explicitly saying that there is no rationale behind the people who don't want gay marriage. None whatsoever. Only bigotry.

    Now, in their mind, they can justify their bigotry in a hundred ways. Bigots always do.

  8. #48
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I don't because none of those are federal benefits.......

    Everyone is treated equally....Gays can marry anyone of the opposite sex just as I can.....
    Well how nice for them?

    Forget the fact that they would rather marry the person they love. Not unlike yourself, I'm sure. No matter how much you all like to say that this is nothing like anti-miscegenation laws, you are wrong. It is a lot like them, unless you want to show me where the law requires that marriages must result in children or that the two people involved have to be able to have children.

    Now, if the government decided that, yes, marriage is for the good of children, and that is why it exists, then you might have a case against gay marriage. Of course, the government has never actually said this, and doing so could easily put other people's marriages in question. I'm thinking especially about transgendered marriages, old people who want to get married, people who have some form of sterilization, and certain handicapped people.

    However, since the government is in the business of giving special entitlements and privileges to people who get married without any care to whether or not those two people can actually produce offspring, then it really isn't fair for them to say that one group of people isn't eligible just because they can't produce offspring.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #49
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    All opposition to gay marriage boils down to "I don't like it and therefore they shouldn't have it."
    Ive heard the "Think of the children" argument.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  10. #50
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 'I do' in DC: Same-sex couples wed in Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Most of those benefits you can get with a will...You don't have to be married.....There are no so called married gays receiving Gov. benefits.....
    Technically, there could be. Transgendered marriages have never really been questioned. A couple who started their marriage as a man and woman, and then one gets a sex change, and they decide to stay married. In all outward appearances, they are a gay couple.

    Also, the federal government goes by whatever sex the state the person is living in says the person is. So, in a state that accepts the born sex of the person after a sex change, a woman could marry a woman or a man a man and it would be federally recognized. This does work the opposite way too. In a state that recognizes the new sex of a transgendered person, a man, who started life as a woman, could marry a woman.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •