Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 191

Thread: Republicans scold Liz Cheney

  1. #31
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Republicans scold Liz Cheney

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Remember, Holder is a defense attorney from the one law firm with the most lawyers who have defended terrorists in the United States.
    Liz, is that you?

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Republicans scold Liz Cheney

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Trust me, you're preaching to the choir. I could never be a defense attorney because my conscience wouldn't be able to stand it. Ever.

    I see your point. I'm just not worried that this raises safety concerns for the US.
    Meh. I'm torn. I don't want us to go so far to the left that we undermine our ability to respond to future acts of terror. I think that the Bush administration went way over the line in detaining people without access to legal counsel. On the other hand, I don't want us to swing things so far in the other direction that, for instance, federal cases are compromised.

    What I worry about is the fact that the federal law enforcement agencies have to go through Justice prosecutors to authorize wiretaps, search warrants, etc. You can see how important it is for those prosecutors to be truthworthy and reliable, because otherwise, we endanger the federal agents who are working the cases.

    It's my moderate nature. I get nervous whenever I feel us swinging too far to one side or the other.

  3. #33
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Republicans scold Liz Cheney

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Exactly. For one thing, we need the prosecutors in federal DOJ to be top notch. They have to work closely with the federal law enforcement agencies, sharing sensitive information on cases. They need to have a strong prosecution background. They need to be the best of the best.

    Is this seriously the best we can do???
    why do you think these attorneys are not top notch?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Republicans scold Liz Cheney

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    why do you think these attorneys are not top notch?
    They may be top notch...as defense attorneys. But prosecution requires different skills. They may not be top notch prosecutors based upon their background and experience. Further, they are not going to be trusted to the extent that a former local prosecutor would be by the law enforcement partners they'd need to work with.

    The main role of federal DOJ is prosecution and law enforcement. Don't forget that.

  5. #35
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Republicans scold Liz Cheney

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Why? Because she refused to let the Obama administration keep their lawyer list anonymous?

    Yeah! How horrible for her to make sure the lawyers' names are actually known!
    Whomever disagrees gets to be disparaged apparently. Liz Cheney won't shut up and she won't get in line with the Progressive ideology, so the frustrated name calling begins. Cheney has her right to voice her opinion like everyone else. Lawyers are bottom of the barrel to begin with (sorry - but they just are) and is there a potentially paranoid point to Cheney's concern that these defense lawyers now work as prosecutors for the WH? Yes a small one, but there's no meat to back it up. But it does feed the paranoia and conspiracy theorists - nothing that the 8 years of Bush didn't have at the hands of liberal activists, progressive nuts and most of the main stream media. It's just par for the course calling someone a bitch because you disagree... weak and lacking credibility in spades. All too predictable and consistent.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #36
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Republicans scold Liz Cheney

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Liz, is that you?
    No its just truth.

    Damn inconvenient for you isn't it?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #37
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Republicans scold Liz Cheney

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    why do you think these attorneys are not top notch?
    They are top notch. Check out this guy. Georgetown Law - Full time Faculty

  8. #38
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Republicans scold Liz Cheney

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Meh. I'm torn. I don't want us to go so far to the left that we undermine our ability to respond to future acts of terror. I think that the Bush administration went way over the line in detaining people without access to legal counsel. On the other hand, I don't want us to swing things so far in the other direction that, for instance, federal cases are compromised.

    What I worry about is the fact that the federal law enforcement agencies have to go through Justice prosecutors to authorize wiretaps, search warrants, etc. You can see how important it is for those prosecutors to be truthworthy and reliable, because otherwise, we endanger the federal agents who are working the cases.

    It's my moderate nature. I get nervous whenever I feel us swinging too far to one side or the other.
    their representation of detainees does not make them untrustworthy or not reliable. and in fact, i think their values are to be commended rather than maligned.

    and who better to work for the DOJ, than those who have a pretty intimate knowledge already?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #39
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Republicans scold Liz Cheney

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Ahhhh, I can tell that those of you who are arguing this point do not understand the advantages that hiring someone who was once on the other side has in these kind of circumstances.
    No but I'm not naive enough to believe they can turn around and go the other way that easy.

    It goes both ways. Many prosecutors go on to be defense lawyers and vice versa. These lawyers have a unique perspective.

    I could switch sides in my job and make a killing. I just choose not to.
    I know its hard but this isn't about you.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  10. #40
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Republicans scold Liz Cheney

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    They are top notch. Check out this guy. Georgetown Law - Full time Faculty
    If they are so "top notch" why did they hide their names?

    Care to explain that?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •