Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54

Thread: PA. Man dies during storm when 911 calls unheeded

  1. #11
    User Goyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Classified. I don't want the Alien Task Force to find me.
    Last Seen
    10-10-10 @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    142

    Re: PA. Man dies during storm when 911 calls unheeded

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Or, you know, you walk to the ambulance.
    Egads! When you call for medical help, the help is supposed to go to you, not the other way around. If it was safe for the man to walk to the ambulance, then it was safe for the paramedics to walk to the man's house.
    The height of wisdom is to say, "I do not know." -Socrates

  2. #12
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: PA. Man dies during storm when 911 calls unheeded

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    More like over 100 yards. Through 2ft of snow and ice. If it would have been so easy for them to walk it, then surely he or his girlfriend could have. Apparently, it wasn't so easy.

    Still their call. He wasn't listed as life threatening emergency anyway.



    pancreatitus? Bet he was mowing on chicken wings 30 hrs earlier when the lard hit the pancreus...


    30 hrs, I'd make other arrangments 28hrs earlier.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #13
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: PA. Man dies during storm when 911 calls unheeded

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyboy View Post
    Egads! When you call for medical help, the help is supposed to go to you, not the other way around. If it was safe for the man to walk to the ambulance, then it was safe for the paramedics to walk to the man's house.


    yes, but if THEY don't, your dead.... 30 hrs? come now... figure another way.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #14
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: PA. Man dies during storm when 911 calls unheeded

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyboy View Post
    Egads! When you call for medical help, the help is supposed to go to you, not the other way around. If it was safe for the man to walk to the ambulance, then it was safe for the paramedics to walk to the man's house.
    Not necessarily. We couldn't always get right to a caller's place or maybe even get a gurney to them. There were cases where the caller HAD to walk to the ambulance or at least to where we could get the gurney. Have you ever tried to wheel a gurney through 2ft of snow and ice in the middle of a storm that's still putting down snow and ice and wind? Wheeling a gurney through that is damn near impossible, carrying it would have been treacherous too, and so would have carrying HIM. You want to be someone carried on a heavy gurney while the two people carrying you are slipping and sliding all over the place because they can't wheel the gurney? Unable to see where they're putting their feet? It could have been a treacherous situation for the medics and the patient. The liability on the part of the medics AND the ambulance service may have been too much to risk.

    I don't know what the exact conditions were, I wasn't there. But I know from experience that there are cases where the patient must come to you. Especially if they're not an emergency case. Under no conditions were we to risk harm to ourselves to help someone. It was strictly forbidden. We would lose our jobs, for one thing. And if we got harmed, no workers comp because we broke the rules.

  5. #15
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: PA. Man dies during storm when 911 calls unheeded

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Not necessarily. We couldn't always get right to a caller's place or maybe even get a gurney to them. There were cases where the caller HAD to walk to the ambulance or at least to where we could get the gurney. Have you ever tried to wheel a gurney through 2ft of snow and ice in the middle of a storm that's still putting down snow and ice and wind? Wheeling a gurney through that is damn near impossible, carrying it would have been treacherous too, and so would have carrying HIM. You want to be someone carried on a heavy gurney while the two people carrying you are slipping and sliding all over the place because they can't wheel the gurney? Unable to see where they're putting their feet? It could have been a treacherous situation for the medics and the patient. The liability on the part of the medics AND the ambulance service may have been too much to risk.

    I don't know what the exact conditions were, I wasn't there. But I know from experience that there are cases where the patient must come to you. Especially if they're not an emergency case. Under no conditions were we to risk harm to ourselves to help someone. It was strictly forbidden. We would lose our jobs, for one thing. And if we got harmed, no workers comp because we broke the rules.





    mortals do not realize this.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: PA. Man dies during storm when 911 calls unheeded

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Not necessarily. We couldn't always get right to a caller's place or maybe even get a gurney to them. There were cases where the caller HAD to walk to the ambulance or at least to where we could get the gurney. Have you ever tried to wheel a gurney through 2ft of snow and ice in the middle of a storm that's still putting down snow and ice and wind? Wheeling a gurney through that is damn near impossible, carrying it would have been treacherous too, and so would have carrying HIM. You want to be someone carried on a heavy gurney while the two people carrying you are slipping and sliding all over the place because they can't wheel the gurney? Unable to see where they're putting their feet? It could have been a treacherous situation for the medics and the patient. The liability on the part of the medics AND the ambulance service may have been too much to risk.

    I don't know what the exact conditions were, I wasn't there. But I know from experience that there are cases where the patient must come to you. Especially if they're not an emergency case. Under no conditions were we to risk harm to ourselves to help someone. It was strictly forbidden. We would lose our jobs, for one thing. And if we got harmed, no workers comp because we broke the rules.
    Why do they have to use a gurney? What about the fireman's carry, or perhaps a stretcher? I mean, they were too scared to walk through 400 meters of snow? They should have gone, but that doesn't mean they're obligated to...

  7. #17
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: PA. Man dies during storm when 911 calls unheeded

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Why do they have to use a gurney? What about the fireman's carry, or perhaps a stretcher? I mean, they were too scared to walk through 400 meters of snow? They should have gone, but that doesn't mean they're obligated to...



    stretchers make good sleds.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #18
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: PA. Man dies during storm when 911 calls unheeded

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Why do they have to use a gurney? What about the fireman's carry, or perhaps a stretcher? I mean, they were too scared to walk through 400 meters of snow? They should have gone, but that doesn't mean they're obligated to...
    Medics are not trained in a fireman's carry. They aren't firemen. Ambulances don't have stretchers, they have gurneys and backboards. Carrying someone on a backboard in those conditions still would have been treacherous and a risk to all involved, most importantly... the patient. What you don't understand is that the risk was not only to themselves, but to the patient as well. Medical professionals are not covered by any good Samaritan laws, even off duty. If they had attempted to carry him and dropped him, they would have lost their jobs and likely have been sued, not to mention the possible injury or death of the patient as a result of their risky attempt.

    No, they should not have necessarily gone. However, had it been me, I probably would have walked up and escorted the patient by foot to the ambulance if it was a life threatening situation. I can't say what I would have done really though, since I wasn't there. But I can understand situations and reasons why they wouldn't have gone.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: PA. Man dies during storm when 911 calls unheeded

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Medics are not trained in a fireman's carry. They aren't firemen.
    You need training to pick someone up and put them on your shoulder?

    Ambulances don't have stretchers, they have gurneys and backboards. Carrying someone on a backboard in those conditions still would have been treacherous and a risk to all involved, most importantly... the patient.
    That's kind of a moot point when the patient dies.

    What you don't understand is that the risk was not only to themselves, but to the patient as well. Medical professionals are not covered by any good Samaritan laws, even off duty. If they had attempted to carry him and dropped him, they would have lost their jobs and likely have been sued, not to mention the possible injury or death of the patient as a result of their risky attempt.
    That's fair enough, I suppose. If that's the case, the laws should be changed. I'm not sure that I would have sat in the ambulance and waited for him to die, though. That's just the kind of guy I am...

    No, they should not have necessarily gone. However, had it been me, I probably would have walked up and escorted the patient by foot to the ambulance if it was a life threatening situation. I can't say what I would have done really though, since I wasn't there. But I can understand situations and reasons why they wouldn't have gone.
    I'm sure you would have tried to do something, being a non-wimp and all...

    I mean, they couldn't just walk 400 meters to the guy's house and assess the situation? It's not like they were in Antarctica or something...

  10. #20
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: PA. Man dies during storm when 911 calls unheeded

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    yes, but if THEY don't, your dead.... 30 hrs? come now... figure another way.
    There is a better way. To those who have become dependent on the government, a bit of advise - No one is helped more than by one's self. Learn it. Live it.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •