Page 78 of 82 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 815

Thread: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

  1. #771
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I was in the Navy for 21 years and I never knew anyone who was openly gay aboard the 6 ships I was on or any of the shore stations.....I guess in that time I saw 9 or 10 guys get discharged for making unwanted advance,,,,we even had and incident where NCIS came aboard undercover and after about a month the caught 3 or 4 guys who were having sex.......Actually one guy was servicing the other 2 on a regular basis.......
    The 2 guys were burley rough guys and claimed they were not gay but they got prosecuted just like the one that was doing the servicing.....

    From the guys I talk to I disagree that it won't be a huge thing in fact I would say its 50-50 that it will actually happen esspecially if the poll the troops involved..........
    I spent 6 years in, and knew 2 semi-openly gay people. This was pre-DADT.

    There will most likely be polls done of the troops on general attitudes towards gays, which will have the predictable result of showing growing numbers of troops know gay people, and fewer having negative attitudes towards gays and gays in the military. This has been the pattern for some time across the country as a whole.

    * 73 percent of military personnel are comfortable with lesbians and gays (Zogby International, 2006).
    * The younger generations, those who fight America's 21st century wars, largely don't care about whether someone is gay or not-and they do not link job performance with sexual orientation.
    * One in four U.S. troops who served in Afghanistan or Iraq knows a member of their unit who is gay (Zogby, 2006).
    Servicemembers Legal Defense Network
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #772
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I spent 6 years in, and knew 2 semi-openly gay people. This was pre-DADT.

    There will most likely be polls done of the troops on general attitudes towards gays, which will have the predictable result of showing growing numbers of troops know gay people, and fewer having negative attitudes towards gays and gays in the military. This has been the pattern for some time across the country as a whole.



    Servicemembers Legal Defense Network
    Boy we are going around in circles now.......That poll was posted at the beginning of this thread or another thread on DADT.....There was another one posted later that rebutted this poll and shoed the active duty military were dead set against it........We will see what happens when and official post is taken by the miliary to the military,,,,,,
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  3. #773
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Boy we are going around in circles now.......That poll was posted at the beginning of this thread or another thread on DADT.....There was another one posted later that rebutted this poll and shoed the active duty military were dead set against it........We will see what happens when and official post is taken by the miliary to the military,,,,,,
    They are not going to ask service people if DADT should be repealed. That is not how the military makes decisions. They will most likely ask about the attitudes of people in the service about gays.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #774
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    They are not going to ask service people if DADT should be repealed. That is not how the military makes decisions. They will most likely ask about the attitudes of people in the service about gays.
    Well that is not how General Petreaus or General Casey feel about it....They want input from the enlisted people affected........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #775
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I spent 6 years in, and knew 2 semi-openly gay people. This was pre-DADT.

    There will most likely be polls done of the troops on general attitudes towards gays, which will have the predictable result of showing growing numbers of troops know gay people, and fewer having negative attitudes towards gays and gays in the military. This has been the pattern for some time across the country as a whole.



    Servicemembers Legal Defense Network
    Semi-openly gay people? What is that, like bisexuals?
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  6. #776
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I was in the Navy for 21 years and I never knew anyone who was openly gay aboard the 6 ships I was on or any of the shore stations.....I guess in that time I saw 9 or 10 guys get discharged for making unwanted advance,,,,we even had and incident where NCIS came aboard undercover and after about a month the caught 3 or 4 guys who were having sex.......Actually one guy was servicing the other 2 on a regular basis.......
    The 2 guys were burley rough guys and claimed they were not gay but they got prosecuted just like the one that was doing the servicing.....

    From the guys I talk to I disagree that it won't be a huge thing in fact I would say its 50-50 that it will actually happen esspecially if the poll the troops involved..........

    Things have changed a lot Navy.

    It may not happen this year, but I'd bet it's going to happen in the next 5 years or so. The biggest obstacle it has is getting past people's fears of what will happen, since there's no actual proof anyone has that it will cause major problems.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #777
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Well that is not how General Petreaus or General Casey feel about it....They want input from the enlisted people affected........
    They're not going to get a good, accurate feel of how everyone feels unless they ask everyone directly. And they may want to take into consideration how people are answering and what kind of work environment they are working in. People who are working now with people they know are gay are probably going to have a little better view on how the openly gay Sailor/Soldier/Marine is truly working out rather than those who are just speculating on how they would react if they had to work in such an environment.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #778
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Semi-openly gay people? What is that, like bisexuals?
    Did not hide, did not flaunt.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #779
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And several people, including some top generals, have said it can be done. I can look at the changing society(especially among the young), and the changing attitudes of those in the military, and the successes other countries have had, and draw conclusions based on that. Since it is predicting the future, no one knows for 100 % sure, but I am pretty confident that it can be done without sacrificing unit cohesion and military readiness.
    Why are you confident that unit cohesion amongst infantry units won't be degraded? How could you be confident when you know virtually nothing about those units? This is why I don't think you care...because you're making assumptions and ignoring opposing viewpoints.

  10. #780
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    None of these things would truly be affected if the military allowed gays to serve openly.
    What about infantry units? How are you going to sit there and tell me what will happen in units you know nothing about? You were in the Navy, I'm happy for you, but that doesn't mean you know anything about the grunts and what their reaction will be to this policy change. Based upon my experience, I can say there will be problems. Some units might be fine with it, but others will not. My unit (Second Battalion, Fifth Marine Regiment) was damn intense. An openly gay dude living amongst us would have caused numerous problems; that's damn fact, yet, here you and Redress are, Navy veterans, telling me everything will be fine. How could you possibly know that? What are you basing that upon? You never served in the Marines, and you never served in an infantry unit. I did and I'm telling you it will cause problems. Infantry Marines aren't nice and sweet like you want them to be; they're full of hate and discontent and they want to kill the enemy. They're a unique breed of warrior and your wishful thinking isn't going to change that. Get with the program...

Page 78 of 82 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •