Page 67 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 815

Thread: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

  1. #661
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    01-09-18 @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    153,358

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    That's where you're wrong. Drug laws do not need to be followed; there is no social "objective" I'm endangering by deviating from the law; that's not true of the military. The rules and regulations which exist in the military serve a distinct purpose, that is, sustaining unit cohesiveness and combat effectiveness. Moreover, I willingly consented to abide by the rules and regulations of the military, this is not true of drug laws.
    Drug laws DO need to be followed for two reasons. Firstly, as the law of the land, unless you are willing to accept the consequences, you must adhere to them. Secondly, you endanger others each time you use something illegal, either because of the actions that come along with doing the drug (driving, making decisions, etc...) or because of the collateral damage that it creates (affects on others in your life).

    Also, you choose to go into the military understanding the drug rules. If you do not like the drug laws in the US, you could choose to leave or you could try to change them.

    Furthermore, Federal drug laws are unconstitutional and thus unlawful. They are an abridgment of my inalienable rights, therefore, I am under no obligation to follow them, nor have I consented to be governed by them, as I did in the military.
    There are NO "inalienable" rights. I completely reject the foolish concept of natural law. Laws and rights are created by man. You are under the obligation to follow the laws of this country because you live here. If you do not, you get consequences. If you don't like them, you can always leave or try to change them.

    So, you can think me a hypocrite if you like, but I won't lose any sleep over it...
    That's OK. I didn't think you would. Just pointing something I noticed,
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #662
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Drug laws DO need to be followed for two reasons. Firstly, as the law of the land, unless you are willing to accept the consequences, you must adhere to them.
    When did I say wasn't willing to accept the consequences?

    Secondly, you endanger others each time you use something illegal, either because of the actions that come along with doing the drug (driving, making decisions, etc...) or because of the collateral damage that it creates (affects on others in your life).
    This is totally false. Not once have I endangered anyone while smoking marijuana. I do so in the privacy of my own home with the consent of my family.

    Also, you choose to go into the military understanding the drug rules. If you do not like the drug laws in the US, you could choose to leave or you could try to change them.
    I could say the same thing about you and your view of inalienable rights. Whether or not you agree with them, the fact remains that our country was founded upon those ideals, and are codified in the Bill of Rights. If you don't like it, you're free to move to North Korea.

    There are NO "inalienable" rights.
    The Founders and Framers say differently. Try reading the Constitution.

    I completely reject the foolish concept of natural law.
    Then move to North Korea.

    Laws and rights are created by man. You are under the obligation to follow the laws of this country because you live here. If you do not, you get consequences. If you don't like them, you can always leave or try to change them.
    Like I said, Federal drug laws are unconstitutional and thus unlawful. The "government says so" is not a valid argument.

  3. #663
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    01-09-18 @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    153,358

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    When did I say wasn't willing to accept the consequences?
    You didn't comment either way. I figured you did so this wasn't an issue for me. Just pointing out the entirety of the concept.



    This is totally false. Not once have I endangered anyone while smoking marijuana. I do so in the privacy of my own home with the consent of my family.
    Firstly, that's YOU. Secondly, you have no idea what effect it may have on others. Folks may not have told you if it did affect them.



    I could say the same thing about you and your view of inalienable rights. Whether or not you agree with them, the fact remains that our country was founded upon those ideals, and are codified in the Bill of Rights. If you don't like it, you're free to move to North Korea.
    Notice what you said. Our country was founded on them and they are codified in the Bill of Rights... A MAN MADE SET OF LAWS. I like them, so I have no intention of moving to North Korea.



    The Founders and Framers say differently. Try reading the Constitution.
    I have. It was written by men. They created the Constitution and, therefore those laws.



    Then move to North Korea.
    If the rights are "inalienable" then North Korea would have them too. Your comment exposes the fallacy of natural law, perfectly. Thank you.

    And I like the US better. I don't speak Korean, so I would have a hard time getting a job.



    Like I said, Federal drug laws are unconstitutional and thus unlawful. The "government says so" is not a valid argument.
    Since you are basing your "unconstitutional" argument on natural law, which doesn't exist, your unconstitutional argument is a non-sequitur.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #664
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    When did I say wasn't willing to accept the consequences?
    Firstly, controlled lethal substances are a stupid idea if they are above a class C. Handing out drugs to the population will decrease the drain caused by the war on drugs...but it wont help anybody get off them either. Actually, putting profit before health and safety of your citizens just goes to show the level of morality one possess. Anything to save an extra buck, eh? Accept it or not, the safety of its citizens are a priority to the government.


    This is totally false. Not once have I endangered anyone while smoking marijuana. I do so in the privacy of my own home with the consent of my family.
    You do when your hyped up on Steroids going on a roid rage. Ask Chris Beniot's family....oh wait dont, they're all dead.



    I could say the same thing about you and your view of inalienable rights. Whether or not you agree with them, the fact remains that our country was founded upon those ideals, and are codified in the Bill of Rights. If you don't like it, you're free to move to North Korea.
    He isnt saying he doesnt agree with the rights the founding fathers have inscribed in the constitution...he is just saying they are not natural, inalienable rights. Morally they are, sure. But who is to say those such rights are inalienable or natural? If they are natural rights, why do people have to fight to survive around the world? Like all rights it must be obtained...it doesnt come naturally.

    The Founders and Framers say differently. Try reading the Constitution.
    Who cares what they think, Americans can disagree with aspects of what they believed too. The founding fathers are not "all knowing" deities - they where humans too.


    Then move to North Korea.
    ?


    Like I said, Federal drug laws are unconstitutional and thus unlawful. The "government says so" is not a valid argument.
    Then state governments need to be responsible and say "no" or bare the burden of there decisions.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 02-28-10 at 06:30 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  5. #665
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Firstly, that's YOU. Secondly, you have no idea what effect it may have on others. Folks may not have told you if it did affect them.
    Effected in what way? How am I endangering them by smoking marijuana in my basement at two in the morning?

    Notice what you said. Our country was founded on them and they are codified in the Bill of Rights... A MAN MADE SET OF LAWS. I like them, so I have no intention of moving to North Korea.
    And I consent to be governed by those laws, not the government's creative interpretation of them.

    If the rights are "inalienable" then North Korea would have them too. Your comment exposes the fallacy of natural law, perfectly. Thank you.
    And your comment exposes a misunderstanding of natural law. Rights are not invisible force fields that protect us from harm, rather, they are moral claims to our liberty. Violating a right does nothing to negate it as a moral claim; it exists regardless.

    And I like the US better. I don't speak Korean, so I would have a hard time getting a job.
    I don't know about that. I think you'd make a pretty good despot...

    Since you are basing your "unconstitutional" argument on natural law, which doesn't exist, your unconstitutional argument is a non-sequitur.
    No I'm not. I'm basing my argument on the Constitution itself.

  6. #666
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Firstly, controlled lethal substances are a stupid idea if they are above a class C. Handing out drugs to the population will decrease the drain caused by the war on drugs...but it wont help anybody get off them either. Actually, putting profit before health and safety of your citizens just goes to show the level of morality one possess. Anything to save an extra buck, eh? Accept it or not, the safety of its citizens are a priority to the government.




    You do when your hyped up on Steroids going on a roid rage. Ask Chris Beniot's family....oh wait dont, they're all dead.





    He isnt saying he doesnt agree with the rights the founding fathers have inscribed in the constitution...he is just saying they are not natural, inalienable rights. Morally they are, sure. But who is to say those such rights are inalienable or natural? If they are natural rights, why do people have to fight to survive around the world? Like all rights it must be obtained...it doesnt come naturally.



    Who cares what they think, Americans can disagree with aspects of what they believed too. The founding fathers are not "all knowing" deities - they where humans too.




    ?




    Then state governments need to be responsible and say "no" or bare the burden of there decisions.
    We're getting way off topic. If you wish to continue this discussion in another thread I more than welcome the opportunity to school you...

  7. #667
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    We're getting way off topic. If you wish to continue this discussion in another thread I more than welcome the opportunity to school you...


    CC gets a reply though.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  8. #668
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,642
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Post anything you like, but the fact still remains, that Article 125 is the law that bans gays from serving the in the military. Case closed.
    You are, of course, wrong. I gave you the opportunity to learn, with a link to all the actual regulations that make up DADT. Being gay does not mean sodomy, sorry.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  9. #669
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,642
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post


    You do when your hyped up on Steroids going on a roid rage. Ask Chris Beniot's family....oh wait dont, they're all dead.
    Side note: Benoit suffered from repeated trauma to the head, which is believed to cause his breakdown and the murder of his family.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  10. #670
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    01-09-18 @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    153,358

    Re: 2 Generals Wary About Repealing Gay Policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Effected in what way? How am I endangering them by smoking marijuana in my basement at two in the morning?
    You indicated that one reason you would not smoke in the military is because it would effect the the interactions and cohesion of the unit. You smoking by yourself at 2 AM can be having an impact on the interactions or concerns of others. This would be the effects of your drug use. Now, you certainly have the right to do this, but as I said, cause and effect. There are consequences for every action one makes.



    And I consent to be governed by those laws, not the government's creative interpretation of them.
    And however the government chooses to interpret those laws, you either follow them, you receive consequences, or you leave. You do not have the "right" to do either create you own laws or ignore the laws that exist without those consequences. The laws were created by men.



    And your comment exposes a misunderstanding of natural law. Rights are not invisible force fields that protect us from harm, rather, they are moral claims to our liberty. Violating a right does nothing to negate it as a moral claim; it exists regardless.
    Morals are relative.



    I don't know about that. I think you'd make a pretty good despot...
    I'm sure I'd make a pretty good despot. I think I already do.



    No I'm not. I'm basing my argument on the Constitution itself.
    Written by men.

    And I do agree that this is getting way off topic. We can certainly bring this to another thread if you want.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 67 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •