Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

    What in the world did the prosecution offer Zazi to get him to accept a 'life in prison' plea bargain deal???
    They had an immigration case against his parents. His father may have destroyed evidence and falsified information on an INS document. -- that's what I heard on the radio.

  2. #12
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues

    Excerpted from “Holder Was Right” By Joe Conason, The New York Observer, February 23, 2010 | 3:07 p.m
    By convicting Mr. Zazi and pursuing the leads that his capture and interrogation have provided, the F.B.I. has shown that traditional American methods—rather than the “enhanced interrogation” and military tribunals favored by the right—are highly effective instruments of national security.
    The system works.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  3. #13
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Suicide bombers are cowards. Frankly I'm surprised more of them don't roll over.
    Usually they roll a lot!

    (the tiny leftover pieces of them that is)
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #14
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues

    “This attempted attack on our homeland was real, it was in motion, and it would have been deadly.” — Attorney General Eric Holder¹

    No public congratulations from normally outspoken republicans about the Attorney General's major success in prosecuting Najibullah Zazi? No?

    Excerpted from “GOPers Who Hit Obama On Xmas Bomber Now Mum On Zazi Guilty Plea” By Justin Elliott, TPMMuckraker, February 24, 2010, 11:15AM
    The Republicans who most vociferously blasted the Obama Administration for putting the attempted Christmas bombing suspect through the criminal justice system have apparently been silent on another high-profile terrorism case making its way through the civilian system. …

    Given the GOP outrage over the administration's decision to charge attempted Christmas bomber Umar Abdulmutallab in criminal court, one might have expected a flurry of Republican press releases and TV appearance this week over the handling of the Zazi case.

    But the press releases never came, and the TV appearances were never scheduled.

    Republicans Sen. Kit Bond and Rep. Pete Hoekstra have been perhaps the most vocal critics of the administration's handling of Abdulmutallab. …

    Neither Bond nor Hoekstra have commented on Zazi's plea this week, a search of news archives and their Web sites show. Spokespeople for Bond and Hoekstra have not responded to requests for comment on the Zazi case.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  5. #15
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues

    Silence is golden.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  6. #16
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    “This attempted attack on our homeland was real, it was in motion, and it would have been deadly.” — Attorney General Eric Holder¹

    No public congratulations from normally outspoken republicans about the Attorney General's major success in prosecuting Najibullah Zazi? No?
    I'm not sure exactly what you expect. The SDNY managed to parlay an overwhelming case into a plea, something it does every single day. The fact that this particular guy cooperated with the government doesn't indicate anything about how others would act, so the claim that this "proves" we can just use the civilian system as opposed to the military system is just ridiculous.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #17
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues

    What you refuse to deal with is that this is just the latest instance in a long line of many instances, where the civilian system WORKED!

    There's plenty of evidence that torture produced bad intelligence. There's plenty of evidence that the military tribunals didn't produce faster or more accurate justice.

    It's time to acknowledge that the civilian justice system works and produces good intelligence. It's time to acknowledge that the civilian justice system should always be the preferred option when addressing terrorist acts.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  8. #18
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    What you refuse to deal with is that this is just the latest instance in a long line of many instances, where the civilian system WORKED!
    Which proves what?

    There's plenty of evidence that torture produced bad intelligence. There's plenty of evidence that the military tribunals didn't produce faster or more accurate justice.

    It's time to acknowledge that the civilian justice system works and produces good intelligence. It's time to acknowledge that the civilian justice system should always be the preferred option when addressing terrorist acts.
    Again, I don't know what you're basing this on. The Obama adminstration itself has explicitly stated that the military tribunal system (and indefinite detention) are fundamental and necessary parts of its anti-terrorism strategy. The fact that the civilian justice system has worked for the people that they've chosen to place in the civilian justice system does not indicate anything about how well the system would work for those that they explicitly choose not to place in the system.


    edit: Let's say you come up with 25 math questions of varying difficulty and give them to a 10 year old. The 10 year old picks the 15 easiest questions and gets them all right. By your logic, the fact that the kid got the 15 easiest ones right means that he's almost certainly going to get the 10 hard ones right. It doesn't work like that.
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 02-26-10 at 12:18 AM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #19
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues

    You say 25 questions pick 15.

    The truth is far different.

    The real record is 300+ pick 3.

    That's right just 3 cases have actually been resolved by the military tribunal system; all the the other terrorism cases were resolved in the civilian justice system.

    And, you know what, of the 3 cases completed in the military system, 2 of those defendents are walking the streets as free men today.

    Perhaps, that's the right outcome, but, for those who have us understand that the military system would deal a harsher punishment, a more just punishment in their eyes than that served up by our civilian system need to deal with the real record as it stands today.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  10. #20
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: NYC Terror Suspect Takes Deal, Probe Continues

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    You say 25 questions pick 15.

    The truth is far different.

    The real record is 300+ pick 3.

    That's right just 3 cases have actually been resolved by the military tribunal system; all the the other terrorism cases were resolved in the civilian justice system.

    And, you know what, of the 3 cases completed in the military system, 2 of those defendents are walking the streets as free men today.

    Perhaps, that's the right outcome, but, for those who have us understand that the military system would deal a harsher punishment, a more just punishment in their eyes than that served up by our civilian system need to deal with the real record as it stands today.
    Oh, I wasn't aware that the only two options were civilian trial or military tribunal. Given that you said that only three cases have been tried via tribunal, that must mean that everyone else was tried by civilian trial, right?

    You seem to be forgetting a pretty important category of detainee here.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •