Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: Schwarzenegger hammers fellow Republicans over stimulus hypocrisy

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Schwarzenegger hammers fellow Republicans over stimulus hypocrisy

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    (However,) I do think that if the stimulus has done some good in the congressmans area, he/she should at least be honest and say so. I mean people saying it hasn't made one job...come on. If you disagree with why we did it thats fine, but don't lie about what has really happened.
    That's it right there, folks. I could take Reps going on these photo ops if they'd just admit that the ARRA has done some good things in their state in some small measure, but that's really not what Reps are saying about it. Their game plan is to continue denouncing the bill as a waste of taxpayer money instead of speaking up about anything good that has come out of the pet projects the ARRA clearly helped to complete or save. That's where I get so tic'd off at about the Reps on this issue.

  2. #32
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Schwarzenegger hammers fellow Republicans over stimulus hypocrisy

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That is not what the article is talking about. The article is talking about the money in the stimulus bill. The fact that Republicans opposed it at every turn and then went back and tried to take credit for the good results it had and the money it gave to their states is what is being talked about.
    Wait a minute, wasn't there a stimulus bill the Reps supported that Harry Reid squashed? Now if some of the provisions Reps liked show up in a bad bill that they vote against you want them to boo these provisions?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #33
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Schwarzenegger hammers fellow Republicans over stimulus hypocrisy

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Depends on what you said when you opposed it. If you claimed that you voted against it because it will help destroy America, you are a flaming hypocrite for praising it when it helps your state. If you argued that the method of financing was bad, then not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    RNYC,

    I hear what you're saying, but here's where I have a problem with what the Republicans are doing concerning the ARRA.

    I'm not hearing Republicans say they opposed certain portions of the ARRA; I'm hearing that they (or most of them anyway) thought it was a total waste of tax payer money - PERIOD! As such, those who truly opposed it on such grounds should NOT be accepting funds for it or supporting projects it helped foster. That's the hypocrisy most of us see; you can't go around taunting legistlation as being a total waste but then go around applauding the very projects the so-called "wasteful spending" funded and brought to completion.

    Republicans have tried to get around accepting ARRA funding for projects in their state by using the very argument you're using - that it's ok to accept funding from legistlation you opposed even in-parts as long as the funding proved to be beneficial to state and local communities within their constituency. That's hypocrisy of the worst kind! It's even worse when they claim it hasn't produced jobs (or would rather skirt around the jobs issue by saying it hasn't measured up to creating the amount of jobs the President claimed it would which I can agree with even though it's dirty pool). Yet, it's funny how most of these ribbon cutting ceremonies seem to be associated with a business of some kind that will either employ new workers or re-employ some who had been laid off. But Republicans keep saying how the ARRA hasn't produced job outside of state and federal agencies. Please... The number of jobs created in commercial sectors may not be anywhere near what was originally projected, but jobs have been created or saved and the Reps who have attended this ribbon cutting ceremonies know it. But they'll keep playing their partisian tricks as long as it keeps them in Congress.
    Again, I agree that people who are making categorical attacks on every part of the bill while celebrating it in their district are hypocrites. I'll go so far as to say that anyone who claims that the bill created no jobs is just plain dumb - it's literally impossible to inject that much money into the economy and not have a sizable impact on employment.

    What I am arguing is that there are plenty of situations where people who vote yes on a bill can honestly object to the implementation of some of those programs and people who vote no on a bill can honestly support the implementation of other programs. This is particularly true where the bill in question is a massive omnibus bill that is designed to have something for everyone while giving no one what they really want.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: Schwarzenegger hammers fellow Republicans over stimulus hypocrisy

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That is not what the article is talking about. The article is talking about the money in the stimulus bill. The fact that Republicans opposed it at every turn and then went back and tried to take credit for the good results it had and the money it gave to their states is what is being talked about.
    They not only opposed it, they voted in a block to demonstrate their 100% disapproval of it. They made a statement in big bold letters and now they are trying to erase it.



    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    A single thing to keep in mind.

    Republican congressman go and claim the stimulus isn't creating jobs and then hold up a giant novelty check and give a speech about the jobs it will create.

    Jesus Christ this isn't that hard to understand.

    The Seminal Rachel Maddow Calls Out Republican Stimulus Hypocrites

    I know Maddow is irritating, just watch it.
    Rachel drove home the point, did she not? HYPOCRITES. There is no getting around it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post

    I'm not hearing Republicans say they opposed certain portions of the ARRA; I'm hearing that they (or most of them anyway) thought it was a total waste of tax payer money - PERIOD! As such, those who truly opposed it on such grounds should NOT be accepting funds for it or supporting projects it helped foster. That's the hypocrisy most of us see; you can't go around taunting legistlation as being a total waste but then go around applauding the very projects the so-called "wasteful spending" funded and brought to completion.
    Well said!


    I still have not heard what "parts" any Republican supported.

  5. #35
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Schwarzenegger hammers fellow Republicans over stimulus hypocrisy

    Of course Republicans are going to hail projects in their districts that were created by porkulus money. What the hell else are they supposed to do?

    It's starting to look more and more like, not only was the porkulus package a means to fund every Liberal wet dream conjured up over the past 30 years, but also as political theater used to beat up on Republicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #36
    User Goyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Classified. I don't want the Alien Task Force to find me.
    Last Seen
    10-10-10 @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    142

    Re: Schwarzenegger hammers fellow Republicans over stimulus hypocrisy

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goyboy
    Attacking the messenger doesn't invalidate the message.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It really does in conservative world.

    I know it isn't all of you guys, but goddamn sometimes it really seems that way.
    It really does in liberal world, too. People on both sides attack the messenger when they can't come up with a good argument against the message.
    The height of wisdom is to say, "I do not know." -Socrates

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Schwarzenegger hammers fellow Republicans over stimulus hypocrisy

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I'm not hearing Republicans say they opposed certain portions of the ARRA; I'm hearing that they (or most of them anyway) thought it was a total waste of tax payer money - PERIOD! As such, those who truly opposed it on such grounds should NOT be accepting funds for it or supporting projects it helped foster.
    Except they shouldn't be. They'd be failing their consitutency if they did.

    I would agree with you, 100%, if their refusal to take that money somehow meant that the money that WOULD'VE been allocated to them instead went back to the tax payers of their state.

    That's not the case though. That money isn't going to magically go back to their tax paying consituents if they don't accept it. Its just going to go to someone else because the money's already allocated.

    They are doing their people a disservice by not taking it and using it once its decided upon and allocated.

    Let me give you an analogy.

    Your a family...husband, wife, two kids. Your kids just play in a sports league with other kids. All the families early on in the year had put money into a pot to cover expenses like dinner after each game, awards at the end of the year, equipment and trip expenses, etc.

    Today the parents begin discussing what they want to do for dinner after the game that's being played. A bunch want to go to Chuck-E-Cheeses and they’re going to get $50 dollars worth of tokens to let all the kids use. You argue they would’ve just got done with a fun activity (in the game) and that its wasteful to spend money on them playing video games and expensive low quality pizza and instead suggest you go to the local pizza joint near by that doesn’t have game but has more affordable pizza that actually tastes a bit better. You argue that way it saves money for more essential things. In the end you get voted down an everyone goes to Chuck-E-Cheeses.

    Apparently you, and others, would think then that you as parents would be hypocrites if you then allowed your children to eat the Chuck-E-Cheese pizza and grab their share of the tokens once the $50 is spent because you as a Parent opposed the notion of going there.

    I don’t really see it that way. You argued your point and why you thought the action was not frugal and simply wasteful. However, once the majority ruled and the decision was made you would be a bad parent if you didn’t allow your children to have any food, and you’d be overly harsh if you didn’t let them play with their share of coins because they would’ve just been handed to someone else, not put back into the expense pot (Because once you buy the tokens, they’re stuck as tokens…”allocated” as you will). Your goal as a parent is to do the best for your children. You argued for what you thought would be best initially by arguing for more frugality. Once that was decided you cannot live in the past but the present, and what would be best for your children at that point would be to allow them to eat and play.

    I see this same sort of things with Politicians.

    They did not like the Stimulus in principle. They thought that, as a whole, it was going to be damaging to the country. They thought it was irresponsible use of the tax payers money. They felt, at that time, it was in the best interests of their constituents to oppose it.

    However, it got passed…

    At that point the money is allocated. There’s no arguing about saving the tax payers money, cause its going to be spent. That means if its not being spent in their district its being spent elsewhere. This, despite the fact that tax payers from their interest would have some of their money theoretically paid into it. Once it is passed, and the money is allocated…once the decision is done…the situation changes. It is now in the best interest of their constituency to get that money into their district so that their tax paying constituents at least get some benefit from the legislation that their tax paying dollars are going to. Because much like the tokens, once that money is allocated to stimulus you can’t turn it back into cash for your tax payers. To NOT try and get money for your district, once the decision is made, is to do a disservice to your constituency and is the very antithesis of what a public servant should do.

    It is, in my mind, no more hypocritical for a Politician to oppose something on principle and then, if it passes, attempt to make the best out of it for his constituency.

    Where hypocrisy comes in is how its presented. If you are saying out one side of your mouth “This bill will create no new jobs!” and then out the other saying “Look how this money I got from the bill created jobs for my district” THAT is hypocritical. If you continue to go around after its passed saying “This bill has done absolute NO good for the country” and then turn around and tell your constituency how “This new [fill in service or building] is going to provide a great boon for our district” then that’s hypocrisy.

    But if you said “This bill is wasteful of tax payers money, over all is going to hurt America, and is irresponsible” and then after people don’t listen to you and the bill is passed anyways you try to get the best for your district that is not hypocrisy…

    Hypocrisy in that case would NOT be trying to get the most possible for your district or state once its passed, because THAT would be wasting your states tax payers money by not allowing it to go back to them in some way.

    I agree with Right. SOME of the Republicans definitely ARE being Hypocrites. But everyone that was simply against the bill, but then trying to get money for their state/district after its already a done deal, is not. They are being actual responsible, reasonable, pragmatic politicians rather than ideologues punishing their constituents because the vote didn’t go their way.

  8. #38
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Last Seen
    07-07-11 @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    406

    Re: Schwarzenegger hammers fellow Republicans over stimulus hypocrisy

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Arnold believes in tax and spend I just watched the idiot say so and you can see it too if you watch the video. He's a progressive and a RINO and that is not good.

    Someone said Arnold started of good and went bad. Well I'm sorry you could argue that some really bad people were elected to office because they seemed to look good on paper but went bad in the end.

    The point is the over all actions and the results of the errors in the end. The beginning is meaningless by the time you get to where California is.

    Arnold has refused to act to stop the destruction of the Central Valley Farmers of California and I personally know for a fact it could have been done, but by not acting the economy is dying and the jobs are going away and the prices of everything in the state will be effected and food prices will go up in every state all because Arnold did nothing. He bowed to a tiny useless fish and refused to sand up to those who want the destruction of the whole economy which is Obama's plan.

    Starting out good means nothing if you can't finish strong doing the right thing.
    That is true. But my point is, given the legislature we continue to vote in, no govenor can do better than to appose everything they try to put through. Compromise only means more programs and spending. So we either have growing deficit, or a govenor who is branded a "do nothing".

    California's problems do not go away until the voters realize it is not the govenor who is the origin of our problems.

  9. #39
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Last Seen
    07-07-11 @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    406

    Re: Schwarzenegger hammers fellow Republicans over stimulus hypocrisy

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Okay...what's wrong with meeting every dollar of expenditure with a dollar of revenue?

    Tax and spend is a hell of alot more responsible then spend and borrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Sorry but what is needed is not any more spending it helps nothing in the long term it only hurts more.

    Taxes need to be cut history is clear that cutting taxes works to improve the economy and adding taxes kill growth.

    So what is needed it cut taxes and reduce spending and stop all borrowing on our grandchildren's future, then the economy might have a chance.

    If Obama ans Arnold get their way the economy is dead for as far as the eye can see.
    It sure would be nice if folks like obvious Child would take the time to explain why they believe hiking taxation to meet ever increasing spending is good for a state or nation.

  10. #40
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Schwarzenegger hammers fellow Republicans over stimulus hypocrisy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Of course Republicans are going to hail projects in their districts that were created by porkulus money. What the hell else are they supposed to do?

    It's starting to look more and more like, not only was the porkulus package a means to fund every Liberal wet dream conjured up over the past 30 years, but also as political theater used to beat up on Republicans.
    Good god you are actually placing blame for GOP hypocrisy on the Democrats.

    You are beyond help.

    "I know they're acting hypocritical, but those Democrats did it!"
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •