Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 72

Thread: Suit: Pa. school used webcams to spy on students

  1. #61
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,375

    Re: Suit: Pa. school used webcams to spy on students

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    The search is "for" a lost piece of property.
    The more I hear/think about it, the more illogical the reasoning becomes.

    What does remotely activating a camera and viewing through it do what GPS doesn't, if the purpose for activating the camera that they use is just what GPS is perfect for, why not just use GPS chips, and save them the legal issues?
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Suit: Pa. school used webcams to spy on students

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Why aren't they being criminally charged?

    It's against the law to trespass in someones home.
    Also possible child porn crimes.

    What if one of these laptops had been used and inappropriate behavior between parent and child, that had been totally covered up with no prior evidence, discovered? I have a feeling some on here's tune would change a bit.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 02-23-10 at 08:32 PM.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Suit: Pa. school used webcams to spy on students

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    The more I hear/think about it, the more illogical the reasoning becomes.

    What does remotely activating a camera and viewing through it do what GPS doesn't, if the purpose for activating the camera that they use is just what GPS is perfect for, why not just use GPS chips, and save them the legal issues?
    It's my understanding that GPS chips are part of the location software.

    If the camera is only activated upon report of theft of the device, I see nothing wrong with this. It's no different to me than an ATM catching the face of everyone who walks up to it to make a transaction.

  4. #64
    User Goyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Classified. I don't want the Alien Task Force to find me.
    Last Seen
    10-10-10 @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    142

    Re: Suit: Pa. school used webcams to spy on students

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I can see what you are saying, but there is a key point that may negate that: the search isn't "of" a suspect in a crime. The search is "for" a lost piece of property. There is no attempt here to get around a search warrant in pursuit of charges for commission of a crime.
    The object of the search isn't relevant. The location of the search is. Law officers can't search a person's home unless they have either a search warrant or permission from the home owner. Public school officials aren't exempt from laws governing the search of private property.
    The height of wisdom is to say, "I do not know." -Socrates

  5. #65
    User Goyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Classified. I don't want the Alien Task Force to find me.
    Last Seen
    10-10-10 @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    142

    Re: Suit: Pa. school used webcams to spy on students

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    It's my understanding that GPS chips are part of the location software.

    If the camera is only activated upon report of theft of the device, I see nothing wrong with this. It's no different to me than an ATM catching the face of everyone who walks up to it to make a transaction.
    It's different from an ATM because ATMs are located in public places, as opposed being located in private homes, which is where the laptops were located.
    The height of wisdom is to say, "I do not know." -Socrates

  6. #66
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Suit: Pa. school used webcams to spy on students

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyboy View Post
    Amendment IV if the U.S. Constitution

    The webcams were turned on for the purpose of making a search.

    The parents did not give the school district permission to search their homes via the webcams.
    Again, making some oblique and nonsensical reference to the fourth amendment doesn't cut it in court. This is nowhere near as simplistic as you're making it out to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Latest I heard, the "more to the story" could end up being child porn accusations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    The more I hear/think about it, the more illogical the reasoning becomes.

    What does remotely activating a camera and viewing through it do what GPS doesn't, if the purpose for activating the camera that they use is just what GPS is perfect for, why not just use GPS chips, and save them the legal issues?
    This is the problem with cases like this - rumors get spread around without evidence.

    1) There is not even a shred of evidence (or even an accusation) of anything related to child porn.

    2) This has nothing to do with GPS chips - that's not how it works. It's software on the computer. The reason they don't use GPS chips is because it would make no sense to crack the computers open and install a GPS chip when you can just use IP information.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyboy View Post
    The object of the search isn't relevant. The location of the search is. Law officers can't search a person's home unless they have either a search warrant or permission from the home owner. Public school officials aren't exempt from laws governing the search of private property.
    And what on earth indicates to you that this constituted a search?

    Edit: Hell, let's pretend that we're in an alternate universe where it does constitute a search. What's the constitutional remedy?
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 02-23-10 at 11:38 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Suit: Pa. school used webcams to spy on students

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyboy View Post
    The object of the search isn't relevant. The location of the search is. Law officers can't search a person's home unless they have either a search warrant or permission from the home owner. Public school officials aren't exempt from laws governing the search of private property.
    It most certainly is relevant. No kid from the school is being searched. What is being searched is the location of the laptop and if the laptop reports evidence that it is in a specific location, then I see a search warrant being required to go in and physically search for the laptop with police. However, as it stands, the laptop isn't "searching" anything. It's just reporting its location and that is perfectly legal. We use the same kind of software here at the institute I work for to find missing laptops all the time. Activate the software and get its gps location. If it isn't in the building or at the address it was checked out to, we can activate the web cam and snap a shot of the thief in possession of it.

    There's nothing illegal about that. Nothing at all.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Suit: Pa. school used webcams to spy on students

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    2) This has nothing to do with GPS chips - that's not how it works. It's software on the computer. The reason they don't use GPS chips is because it would make no sense to crack the
    Actually, a lot of laptops already have gps transmitters installed right on the mainboard if you order them that way. It's about as common now as having a gps locator in your cell phone, I imagine. I order all of our laptops this way.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Suit: Pa. school used webcams to spy on students

    Quote Originally Posted by Goyboy View Post
    It's different from an ATM because ATMs are located in public places, as opposed being located in private homes, which is where the laptops were located.
    The laptop is public property. It just happens to be mobile.

  10. #70
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Suit: Pa. school used webcams to spy on students

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    It most certainly is relevant. No kid from the school is being searched. What is being searched is the location of the laptop and if the laptop reports evidence that it is in a specific location, then I see a search warrant being required to go in and physically search for the laptop with police. However, as it stands, the laptop isn't "searching" anything. It's just reporting its location and that is perfectly legal. We use the same kind of software here at the institute I work for to find missing laptops all the time. Activate the software and get its gps location. If it isn't in the building or at the address it was checked out to, we can activate the web cam and snap a shot of the thief in possession of it.

    There's nothing illegal about that. Nothing at all.
    The gps would provide a single piece of evidence about the laptop, while the webcam could provide evidence unrelated to the laptop, therefore it is an unreasonable search.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •