Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 109 of 109

Thread: White House: Dems near accord on health care bill

  1. #101
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,145

    Re: White House: Dems near accord on health care bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I'd gladly sacrifice 9 or 10 Democratic senators in the next election to pass health care reform. It remains to be seen if the Senate agrees.
    I agree! If this current senate gets nothing else done, at least they did something more noteworthy than any recent senates.

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: White House: Dems near accord on health care bill

    ap story from rcp:

    "hoyer: comprehensive health bill may be no go"

    RealClearPolitics - Politics - Feb 23, 2010 - Hoyer: Comprehensive health bill may be no go

    steny is pelosi's whip

    do you know what a whip does?

    devastating

  3. #103
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: White House: Dems near accord on health care bill

    People need to stop referring to reconciliation as the "nuclear option."

    The "nuclear option" refers to changing the rules of the Senate! Reconciliation can be... precision airstrikes?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #104
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: White House: Dems near accord on health care bill

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    ap story from rcp:

    "hoyer: comprehensive health bill may be no go"

    RealClearPolitics - Politics - Feb 23, 2010 - Hoyer: Comprehensive health bill may be no go

    steny is pelosi's whip

    do you know what a whip does?

    devastating
    The Whip gets the votes together.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: White House: Dems near accord on health care bill

    yes, sir, exactly, and he (or she) counts heads, tells speaker (or leader) exactly where legislation stands with caucus, whether or not passage is possible

    also, leadership team will always put rosiest face on its prospects, no one would ever expect them to come out and say, "we're in trouble, we're failing..."

    thus, for WHIP to say we don't have the votes, for him to say such to THE PUBLIC...

    nancy has about 190 votes for obamacare

    keep up the good work, friends

    cliff

  6. #106
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: White House: Dems near accord on health care bill

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    yes, sir, exactly, and he (or she) counts heads, tells speaker (or leader) exactly where legislation stands with caucus, whether or not passage is possible

    also, leadership team will always put rosiest face on its prospects, no one would ever expect them to come out and say, "we're in trouble, we're failing..."

    thus, for WHIP to say we don't have the votes, for him to say such to THE PUBLIC...

    nancy has about 190 votes for obamacare

    keep up the good work, friends

    cliff
    I would say the whip is the person that handles daily operations on the floor for the party leader in the House or Senate.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: White House: Dems near accord on health care bill

    absolutely

    whip (hoyer and durbin) is head counter and arm twister in chief

  8. #108
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: White House: Dems near accord on health care bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It may not be violent like Idi Amin but people are being railroaded.

    Popularity doesn't make right, Just because a lot of people want something doesn't mean they should get it.
    A agree. Our forefathers wrote extensively on "The tyranny of the majority", which is why they had a lot of checks and balances put into the Constitution to temper it. Senate terms being 6 years, instead of 2 years like Congressmen was one of them.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #109
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: White House: Dems near accord on health care bill

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    A agree. Our forefathers wrote extensively on "The tyranny of the majority", which is why they had a lot of checks and balances put into the Constitution to temper it. Senate terms being 6 years, instead of 2 years like Congressmen was one of them.

    Looking at this 2,700 page monstrosity, and the 2,000 page porkulus bull earlier, what would lead anyone to truly believe that the Constitution has anything at all to do with demo plans?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •