Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 87

Thread: Judging Stimulus by Job Data Reveals Success

  1. #31
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Judging Stimulus by Job Data Reveals Success

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Economic experts say that the stimulus halted the worst of the decline.
    And I'm not disagreeing. I'm taking issue with your blind acceptance of dubious specific numbers and your misunderstanding of correlation v. causation. I'll ask again - do you actually think that the economy turned around the moment Obama got elected or the stimulus was passed like that chart would seem to indicate, or do you recognize that trying to attribute month-to-month changes in a $14 trillion economy to individual presidential proposals is absurd?

    You say it's all a coincidence and in fact the tax cuts and contracts created by the stimulus package actually made things worse.
    No, I didn't say that. Try reading what I write and responding to that, rather than to the strawmen that you'd like to respond to.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #32
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Judging Stimulus by Job Data Reveals Success

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Not that I disagree with your overall point, but this is a silly way to measure

    The bottom line is, the death spiral our economy was in has leveled off into a fidgety plateau and if the trend continues, it will (we can only hope) start going back up.

    edit: Calling our President "your Messiah" is just as stupid as typing out his full first, middle, and last name. Debate policies and actions, attacking someone's name or your-perception-of-my-perception is just... weak.
    I'm not the one who uses "your Messiah". So, I'm assuming that was addressed to someone else?

  3. #33
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Judging Stimulus by Job Data Reveals Success

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Economic experts say that the stimulus halted the worst of the decline.

    You say it's all a coincidence and in fact the tax cuts and contracts created by the stimulus package actually made things worse.

    Provide evidence or reasoning to support your assertion.
    I personally don't doubt that it helped, I wish it would have been bigger, and I wish they would be doing more now. I think the pain felt by many during the recession could have been avoided had this been the case. However, to be fair the chart does not show a reversal of trend, only the slowing of a trend. Jobs were lost on every month of the chart except november.

  4. #34
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,812

    Re: Judging Stimulus by Job Data Reveals Success

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    And I'm not disagreeing. I'm taking issue with your blind acceptance of dubious specific numbers and your misunderstanding of correlation v. causation. I'll ask again - do you actually think that the economy turned around the moment Obama got elected or the stimulus was passed like that chart would seem to indicate, or do you recognize that trying to attribute month-to-month changes in a $14 trillion economy to individual presidential proposals is absurd?



    No, I didn't say that. Try reading what I write and responding to that, rather than to the strawmen that you'd like to respond to.
    I certainly don't think inauguration day created jobs. (well, maybe a couple temps who set up podiums and such...)

    And no, I don't think the stimulus package was the sole factor in the turnaround, perhaps you noticed I never said anything of the sort. What I actually said was:

    "How can you dumb ****ers claim that Obama made things worse?"

    Me: The stimulus helped. We needed help. The sky is blue.
    Conservatives here: Obama made things worse. The sky is green.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Judging Stimulus by Job Data Reveals Success

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Who is reading this forum to you? You should get somebody else. I'll make it really easy for you, since picking out important information is a skill you've proven to lack:

    That chart you were all bashing shows a clear reversal of trend in our economy, starting right about when that stimulus money started to flow.

    So explain to me, how can you look at such a chart and conclude that President Obama has made things worse?
    the only thing i said about that chart, master debater, is "it's pretty"

    LOL!

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

  7. #37
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,812

    Re: Judging Stimulus by Job Data Reveals Success

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    the only thing i said about that chart, master debater, is "it's pretty"

    LOL!
    ...yes Prof. That's kindof what I was getting at. You don't bother addressing any actual substance of any sort on any topic that I've ever seen you post on.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Judging Stimulus by Job Data Reveals Success

    you mean, like barack's middle name, hussein?

    or the color of greenish skies?

    LOL!

    i guess it's cuz i'm just not as INTO debating as you are

    take a gander at the links above, master-d

  9. #39
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Judging Stimulus by Job Data Reveals Success

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I certainly don't think inauguration day created jobs. (well, maybe a couple temps who set up podiums and such...)

    And no, I don't think the stimulus package was the sole factor in the turnaround, perhaps you noticed I never said anything of the sort. What I actually said was:

    "How can you dumb ****ers claim that Obama made things worse?"

    Me: The stimulus helped. We needed help. The sky is blue.
    Conservatives here: Obama made things worse. The sky is green.
    Setting aside the fact that jobs are not the only consideration in figuring out whether something is better or worse (debt is a consideration as well), why don't you show me where I said "Obama made things worse. The sky is green," thus prompting your response.

    I'll wait.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #40
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Judging Stimulus by Job Data Reveals Success

    Most of it did a lot of good. My school would be charging twice the tuition it is now if it would not be for the stimulus. This is a fact. Over 1/3 of the 25,000 students that go to the same college as me would not have been able to afford it this year had it not been for the stimulus giving funding to higher ed.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •