Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 242

Thread: Snow days mean less food for many students

  1. #41
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    maybe the parents are at fault, but i still want to see these kids get fed. their birth circumstances aren't their fault.
    Exactly. Clamoring for children to pay "social justice" for their poor parents is a tad bit childish. I am against the nanny state as much as anyone, but we must consider the alternative.

    Sound analysis will always trump ideology.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #42
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Just about every social safety-net in place right now, Medicare and Social Security included, was challenged in the federal courts. Those challenges failed.

    Social Security Online

    That is all the matters as to whether something is constitutional or not. Congress could pass a law that required every American to go back to using an outhouse. If the federal judiciary upheld it, then guess what, its constitutional.
    Congress could if the existing toilets were funded using federal money. And you're wrong. The federal judiciary does not make law, it upholds the Constitutionality of law. You're view seems to be that case law is greater than the Constitution - and that is just plain wrong.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #43
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    maybe the parents are at fault, but i still want to see these kids get fed. their birth circumstances aren't their fault.
    You're right, but in my opinion, any parent who does not feed his/her kids has no business with those kids in the first place. The kids are almost certainly being neglected and/or abused in every other way as well.

    Neglected and abused children should be reassigned to people who will not neglect and abuse them.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #44
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Neglected and abused children should be reassigned to people who will not neglect and abuse them.
    Quite huffy to argue that all parents who are financially struggling are abusing/neglecting their children.

    Ahh, the life of a foster child.....
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #45
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Exactly. Clamoring for children to pay "social justice" for their poor parents is a tad bit childish. I am against the nanny state as much as anyone, but we must consider the alternative.

    Sound analysis will always trump ideology.
    as a person who got reduced fee lunches for a short time......it was NOT my mother's "fault" that the program was necessary. i really do get tired of people who lump all recipients of aid into the same category.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #46
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Congress could if the existing toilets were funded using federal money. And you're wrong. The federal judiciary does not make law, it upholds the Constitutionality of law. You're view seems to be that case law is greater than the Constitution - and that is just plain wrong.
    What you don't seem to understand is that the federal judiciary are the ultimate arbiters of what is and what is not constitutional.

    For example, Bill thinks that Social Security is unconstitutional. Therefore, Bill challenges that constitutionality of the Social Security Act in the federal courts. The case is heard in the federal courts and the Social Security Act is found to be constitutional. Thus, for all intents and purposes it is constitutional.

    That is how it works. For better or for worse, that is our system of government in a nutshell.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  7. #47
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    You're right, but in my opinion, any parent who does not feed his/her kids has no business with those kids in the first place. The kids are almost certainly being neglected and/or abused in every other way as well.

    Neglected and abused children should be reassigned to people who will not neglect and abuse them.
    you have no idea of the circumstances people find themselves in. how very judgemental of you.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    Oh man this makes me really sad...

    To you folks who don't care about the poor, the economy has been bad for a lot of people for a lot longer than just going back to 2008. The only reason it turned into such a big deal then is because a few rich people found out that their house wasn't worth as much as they thought and started whinning about it.

    So 'f' you, you 'f'ing' richie 'f'-bags. Do you even realize how bad this economy is and has been for millions of people since 2001?
    Does that mean we blame Clinton?

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    Well it's because the Bush administration lifted bank regulations (the ones put in place after the great depression) that protected our liberty from greedy robber barons that have now effectively destroyed entire towns because of their lack of responsibility. Why don't you bring that to your next Tea Party and make sure you blame Bush not Obama.
    It started back in Carter but believe what you want

  10. #50
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    What you don't seem to understand is that the federal judiciary are the ultimate arbiters of what is and what is not constitutional.

    For example, Bill thinks that Social Security is unconstitutional. Therefore, Bill challenges that constitutionality of the Social Security Act in the federal courts. The case is heard in the federal courts and the Social Security Act is found to be constitutional. Thus, for all intents and purposes it is constitutional.

    That is how it works. For better or for worse, that is our system of government in a nutshell.
    That may mean that the case was not presented in such a way to convince the SCOTUS of it's lack of Constitutionality. That does not mean it is Constitutional, it simply means there was not enough evidence to convince the SCOTUS. Now we all know that the SCOTUS may also have a bias for or against such a position depending upon their interpretation. That interpretation changes with the membership of the bench. For example, Brown vs. Board of Education Topeka was overturned at the right time. Until then all de-segregation challenges were upheld. Using your logic, and you'd be against a challenge of Brown again because it's been tried before and failed so therefore, segregation should continue to exist.

    Wrong. Because it hasn't been overturned yet doesn't mean it won't be or SHOULD be. And case law until now does not address the point you continue to avoid: There is NO, ZERO, BUPKUS, NADA item in the Constitution that allows for social contract funding for welfare. Period.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •