Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 242

Thread: Snow days mean less food for many students

  1. #31
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,509
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Whether you agree with the school lunch program or not, anyone with even a elementary understanding of civics knows that allocating part of your tax dollars towards it does not constitute theft, but rather its social contract. There is 195 nations in the "market of nations" to choose from. If someone does not like the social contract in the United States, there are 194 different nations on the menu - all with their own social contracts that residents live under.

    My point is that calling anything your tax dollars goes to "theft" is an argument for people that are a lot less intelligent than you are.
    The Founders based the Constitution on the principle that the government would protect our liberty and enact such laws and regulation as necessary to secure our rights, and social contract was then up to us.

    I grew up in a time when there was much more real poverty, but nobody expected anybody to feed their kids but themselves. And I either went to school with lunch money or a sack lunch every single school day. With all the benefits available to every human in America, including illegal aliens, you can't tell me that anybody is too destitute to fix their kid a peanut butter sandwich to take to school. If they are, they are so neglecting their kids that the kids should be taken away and put in a good orphanage where they will be fed and loved and disciplined and educated and fed three squares a day.

    The social contract should not be to assume parenting responsibilities for lazy parents. The social contract should be to lay such a heavy guilt trip on parents who neglect their kids that parents will begin taking responsibility for them again. Kids should grow up seeing Dad and/or Mom going to work and bringing home a paycheck that pays the rent and buys their clothes and food. How do kids watching their parents subsist on government handouts or who expect free food at school learn any personal responsibility at all?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #32
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    The Founders based the Constitution on the principle that the government would protect our liberty and enact such laws and regulation as necessary to secure our rights, and social contract was then up to us.

    I grew up in a time when there was much more real poverty, but nobody expected anybody to feed their kids but themselves. And I either went to school with lunch money or a sack lunch every single school day. With all the benefits available to every human in America, including illegal aliens, you can't tell me that anybody is too destitute to fix their kid a peanut butter sandwich to take to school. If they are, they are so neglecting their kids that the kids should be taken away and put in a good orphanage where they will be fed and loved and disciplined and educated and fed three squares a day.

    The social contract should not be to assume parenting responsibilities for lazy parents. The social contract should be to lay such a heavy guilt trip on parents who neglect their kids that parents will begin taking responsibility for them again. Kids should grow up seeing Dad and/or Mom going to work and bringing home a paycheck that pays the rent and buys their clothes and food. How do kids watching their parents subsist on government handouts or who expect free food at school learn any personal responsibility at all?
    I agree with all that. I am just pointing out that its a stupid argument to say that the school lunch program is unconstitutional. If its unconstitutional then someone would have easily challenged it in the federal judiciary by now.

    Moreover, taxes are not theft. They are fees. Fees that in many cases are too high, but fees just the same.

    Also, the national school lunch program was signed into law in 1946. So most likely, you grew up under it just like everyone else on here did.
    Last edited by SouthernDemocrat; 02-16-10 at 04:36 PM.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #33
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,728

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    There is no social contract in the US to support a school lunch program under the Constitution. If you contend there is, please show me the clause and background.
    You are the thinking man today, American. Keep that up, and I will have to quit teasing you downstairs.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #34
    Professor
    Saboteur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Oh man this makes me really sad...

    To you folks who don't care about the poor, the economy has been bad for a lot of people for a lot longer than just going back to 2008. The only reason it turned into such a big deal then is because a few rich people found out that their house wasn't worth as much as they thought and started whinning about it.

    So 'f' you, you 'f'ing' richie 'f'-bags. Do you even realize how bad this economy is and has been for millions of people since 2001?
    We must picture hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives with the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment.
    ― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

  5. #35
    Professor
    Saboteur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    The Founders based the Constitution on the principle that the government would protect our liberty and enact such laws and regulation as necessary to secure our rights, and social contract was then up to us.

    I grew up in a time when there was much more real poverty, but nobody expected anybody to feed their kids but themselves. And I either went to school with lunch money or a sack lunch every single school day. With all the benefits available to every human in America, including illegal aliens, you can't tell me that anybody is too destitute to fix their kid a peanut butter sandwich to take to school. If they are, they are so neglecting their kids that the kids should be taken away and put in a good orphanage where they will be fed and loved and disciplined and educated and fed three squares a day.

    The social contract should not be to assume parenting responsibilities for lazy parents. The social contract should be to lay such a heavy guilt trip on parents who neglect their kids that parents will begin taking responsibility for them again. Kids should grow up seeing Dad and/or Mom going to work and bringing home a paycheck that pays the rent and buys their clothes and food. How do kids watching their parents subsist on government handouts or who expect free food at school learn any personal responsibility at all?
    Well it's because the Bush administration lifted bank regulations (the ones put in place after the great depression) that protected our liberty from greedy robber barons that have now effectively destroyed entire towns because of their lack of responsibility. Why don't you bring that to your next Tea Party and make sure you blame Bush not Obama.
    We must picture hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives with the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment.
    ― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

  6. #36
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    That is all neither here nor there. The Federal Judiciary are the ultimate arbiters of what is and what is not constitutional. No one has ever successfully changed the constitutionality of the school lunch program, or any of the other safety-nets out there. Therefore, they are constitutional. Thats how it works, Civics 101 here.
    It's not Constitutionally covered and therefore open to be challenged as it is a type of theft by the government. If you want a safety net, get a second job. Otherwise, charity is the way to go. You're logic that somehow because something has never been challenged it must therefore be Constitutional is not only naive but logically flawed beyond belief.

    It's here... and there.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #37
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    Oh man this makes me really sad...

    To you folks who don't care about the poor, the economy has been bad for a lot of people for a lot longer than just going back to 2008. The only reason it turned into such a big deal then is because a few rich people found out that their house wasn't worth as much as they thought and started whinning about it.

    So 'f' you, you 'f'ing' richie 'f'-bags. Do you even realize how bad this economy is and has been for millions of people since 2001?
    I was one of the poor. I don't get pissed off at the rich - they got there by being smart, educating themselves and applying themselves. If they keep their money, that means they also have restraint.

    I pick on the poor because the poor do not stay poor long if they apply themselves. If they stay poor - there's something more at work - either fatal character flaws that cause repeated mistakes or that they're lazy or want to nurse on the system as an alternative lifestyle. The poor stay poor by government continuing to give them hand outs... there's no motivation for them to do anything BUT stay poor to continue to get the handout. Cut the funds to the bone, and what funds there are, make sure it's very finite. Instead of giving them the handout, give them tools to better themselves.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #38
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    I guess the Nanny State needs to go home with these people an live their lives for them, because they must be utterly incapable of even feeding their kids, right? The kiddos are missing out on their 'one nutritious meal' of the day (that's laughable, has anyone taken a look at those school lunches lately?) because of they are missing an extra day of school from the snow.

    I guess the parents count on the kids eating free lunch at school to keep them in beer money, is that it? Maybe Obama can start a program to keep free lunches going 7 days a week, eh?

    Snow days deprive many kids of food - Weather- msnbc.com
    maybe the parents are at fault, but i still want to see these kids get fed. their birth circumstances aren't their fault.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #39
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,509
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I agree with all that. I am just pointing out that its a stupid argument to say that the school lunch program is unconstitutional. If its unconstitutional then someone would have easily challenged it in the federal judiciary by now.

    Moreover, taxes are not theft. They are fees. Fees that in many cases are too high, but fees just the same.

    Also, the national school lunch program was signed into law in 1946. So most likely, you grew up under it just like everyone else on here did.
    Yes I grew up under the national school lunch program which is why I took lunch money to school or a sack lunch (because I usually liked that much better.) When the program was first initiated, however, it was a place to dump subsidized agricultural products and otherwise, except for students who honestly could not afford the full fees, was expected to pretty well pay for itself and wasn't any significant budget drain. By the time it became something much more than that, no politician had the guts to challenge the constitutionality of it. Everybody was expected to pay though. The teachers dug in their own pockets to pay for the kid who forgot his lunch or lunch money. The parents invariably felt obligated to reimburse the teacher. The program bypassing parental responsibility came later.

    Under the original intent of the Constitution, taxes that confiscate wealth from the productive in order to transfer it to the less productive or nonproductive are indeed theft with regulation written by thieves. Only those taxes used to protect and secure everybody's rights and/or provide the general welfare for everybody are legal under the original intent of the Constitution. Taxes are not 'fees'.

    Fees are paid by those who use specific direct services and are intended to pay for those services used. I have no quarrel whatsoever with fees for services.
    Last edited by AlbqOwl; 02-16-10 at 05:08 PM.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #40
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    It's not Constitutionally covered and therefore open to be challenged as it is a type of theft by the government. If you want a safety net, get a second job. Otherwise, charity is the way to go. You're logic that somehow because something has never been challenged it must therefore be Constitutional is not only naive but logically flawed beyond belief.

    It's here... and there.
    Just about every social safety-net in place right now, Medicare and Social Security included, was challenged in the federal courts. Those challenges failed.

    Social Security Online

    That is all the matters as to whether something is constitutional or not. Congress could pass a law that required every American to go back to using an outhouse. If the federal judiciary upheld it, then guess what, its constitutional.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •