Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 242

Thread: Snow days mean less food for many students

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    Oh man this makes me really sad...

    To you folks who don't care about the poor, the economy has been bad for a lot of people for a lot longer than just going back to 2008. The only reason it turned into such a big deal then is because a few rich people found out that their house wasn't worth as much as they thought and started whinning about it.

    So 'f' you, you 'f'ing' richie 'f'-bags. Do you even realize how bad this economy is and has been for millions of people since 2001?
    Ah, so you say, "F You" and then turn around and ask for a handout? How telling...

  2. #202
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,402

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    Oh man this makes me really sad...

    To you folks who don't care about the poor, the economy has been bad for a lot of people for a lot longer than just going back to 2008. The only reason it turned into such a big deal then is because a few rich people found out that their house wasn't worth as much as they thought and started whinning about it.

    So 'f' you, you 'f'ing' richie 'f'-bags. Do you even realize how bad this economy is and has been for millions of people since 2001?




    what do you do for the poor, specifically?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #203
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    Oh man this makes me really sad...

    To you folks who don't care about the poor, the economy has been bad for a lot of people for a lot longer than just going back to 2008. The only reason it turned into such a big deal then is because a few rich people found out that their house wasn't worth as much as they thought and started whinning about it.

    So 'f' you, you 'f'ing' richie 'f'-bags. Do you even realize how bad this economy is and has been for millions of people since 2001?
    What you do for a living, sport?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #204
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    what do you do for the poor, specifically?
    Drinks 40s on the stoop with 'em?

  5. #205
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,506

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    If you dish it out, you should be able to take it. And yes, we need to agree on what is and is not "nutritious" and making an assumption that this is common knowledge not needing to be defined is disingenuous at best.

    To remind you - you said:
    I know what I said and I stand by it as correct. It has nothing to do with dishing out anything. Your statement was not well thought out.

    I am pretty certain 99.9% of the people posting here don't need good nutrition defined for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Sure... you made a blanket statement:

    You didn't say "some Poor people" you stated as fact... and therefore you placed yourself in the position of speaking for all poor people. I'm just saying you're not so don't assume and generalize all poor people. Some poor people may not be making an effort, and some poor people don't care about their kids at all.
    "The article did not say they were not getting feed, it did say the only "nutritious " meal of the day.

    Someone mentioned the price of Mac & Cheese and Raman. The sodium content alone should scare people away from that. Not to mention very little if any nutritional value for a growing child.

    The problem here is not about a lack of food, but nutritional food. I know from experiance nutrtious food is freaking exspencive.

    My doctor put me on the South Beach Diet. Before that diet we spent about $400.00 a month to feed ourselves. After the diet started or food budget ballooned to almost double. I can't even imagine in this economy and being poor trying to feed a child a healthy diet.

    More is at play here than just irresponsible parents.
    - Blackdog Post #103

    Please feel free to point out where I made this statement that I am speaking for all poor people?


    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Generalizations are a bad idea in all cases.
    And yet you did it anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Correct. I mention that in post #104 and #105.
    You were not responding to me, you were responding to people who brought up your statements as well. So what? Has nothing to do with my original reply to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I don't see DYFS as being a throw the baby out scenario. I find it an alternative method to allow parents time to get on their feet, and puts the children in a temporary home where they can get all the necessities they deserve. However, I also stated in this thread how tools must be provided so the poor can help themselves. Those who do not want to help themselves are parasites and should, after a period of time (I mentioned a cap on the amount of time assistance should be provided) should be cut off from getting any State assistance.
    I agree with you here, but again you did not mention this the first time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    My overall view is welfare and this type of assistance at a Federal level is un-Constitutional, which I discussed and disagreed with SouthernDemocrat who felt that the courts have upheld it so far, therefore it's Constitutional.
    I think it is unconstitutional as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #206
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I know what I said and I stand by it as correct. It has nothing to do with dishing out anything. Your statement was not well thought out.

    I am pretty certain 99.9% of the people posting here don't need good nutrition defined for them.
    No they don't. Hence nutritional facts printed on packaged foods by law.


    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    "The article did not say they were not getting feed, it did say the only "nutritious " meal of the day.

    Someone mentioned the price of Mac & Cheese and Raman. The sodium content alone should scare people away from that. Not to mention very little if any nutritional value for a growing child.

    The problem here is not about a lack of food, but nutritional food. I know from experiance nutrtious food is freaking exspencive.

    My doctor put me on the South Beach Diet. Before that diet we spent about $400.00 a month to feed ourselves. After the diet started or food budget ballooned to almost double. I can't even imagine in this economy and being poor trying to feed a child a healthy diet.

    More is at play here than just irresponsible parents.
    - Blackdog Post #103

    Please feel free to point out where I made this statement that I am speaking for all poor people?
    Sure it's the part you cut out of the post which I pointed out to you. Want me to post it again? Apparently you DON'T know what you said...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog
    Poor people trying to provide for the children, who are making an effort should not lose them because they need a little help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog
    You were not responding to me, you were responding to people who brought up your statements as well. So what? Has nothing to do with my original reply to you.
    Try reading the entire post and not just one's where you're insulting others. Believe it or not, all my comments don't all come out at once - discussion sometimes makes us think more, and we add comments after the original comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog
    I agree with you here, but again you did not mention this the first time.
    Next time, you need to read more than just your replies. Other people have had good points in this thread...


    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog
    I think it is unconstitutional as well.
    Excellent - we leave this discussion on a positive note!
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    "Snow days mean less food for many students "

    And yet we keep hearing people say there's no upside to global warming.

    Global warming means less snow, and thus better fed kids.

    Clearly the people opposed to global warming hate children.

  8. #208
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,504
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I certainly support expecting people to be personally responsible. But expecting them to be personally responsible, when they cannot help themselves, whether or not it is their fault (when you are helpless, fault no longer matters, at least in domestic situations like this), is an evil act. Personal responsibility and societal welfare are two sides of the same coin, to go totally one way or the other way is wrong.

    However to answer your question where to draw the line. I think it is impossible to answer because every situation has different details. This is one of the reasons its so easy to fight about welfare. It allows everyone to project their own personal views onto someone they have seen on society because that is what they are already sensitive too.
    As I previously said, I have devoted a great deal of my life to working with disadvantaged persons and families either as a direct vocation or as an avocation. And I am convinced that public welfare is among the worst evils that this country has ever inflicted upon its citizens even as I have happily provided assistance to people like your mom.

    It is from that up close and personal experience that I oppose ANY form of Federal welfare and would support us slowly, carefully and methodically easing out of all Federal entitlement programs in a way that does not create severe hardship for those we have made dependent on such programs. I support all public assistance being handled by the private sector or when it can be done intelligently and constructively by the states and local communities.

    I am not saying that your mom deserved no help or that she should not have received it.

    I am saying that it should never be an entitlement that creates dependencies that never should be encouraged or tolerated. The government should never be allowed to force one person to be responsible for another that he or she did not marry or who is not their own minor child.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    IMO, this thread is riddled with willful ignorance and callous indifference --
    Nothing wrong with callous indifference when your own government is shoving a machine gun in your face and telling you the cost of your sympathetic concern for your neighbor's well being has increased and you have to pay more money.

    Or else.

    Start whining about callous indifference when the callous socialists stop pointing their machine guns at hard working responsible citizens.

    It might mean something then.

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Nothing wrong with callous indifference when your own government is shoving a machine gun in your face and telling you the cost of your sympathetic concern for your neighbor's well being has increased and you have to pay more money.
    Machine gun?

    Hyperbole much?


    Re: Concern for your neighbor's well being...

    1)I'm pretty sure we're talking about your neighbor's children.

    2)And even if we weren't...

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •