Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 242

Thread: Snow days mean less food for many students

  1. #101
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    of course giving them lunches in school is not ENOUGH. walk a mile in their shoes and you just might muster up a little humility.
    185 days without lunch sounds like child abuse to me. Where's the state's division of youth in this and why aren't these kids being taken away from their parents and being put in homes where they can get 3 meals a day again?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #102
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    185 days without lunch sounds like child abuse to me. Where's the state's division of youth in this and why aren't these kids being taken away from their parents and being put in homes where they can get 3 meals a day again?
    Two words: Overwhelmed and underfunded because it's not as much a priority as fighting wars in bum f**k Egypt or bailing out Wall Street.

  3. #103
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    185 days without lunch sounds like child abuse to me. Where's the state's division of youth in this and why aren't these kids being taken away from their parents and being put in homes where they can get 3 meals a day again?
    The article did not say they were not getting feed, it did say the only "nutritious " meal of the day.

    Someone mentioned the price of Mac & Cheese and Raman. The sodium content alone should scare people away from that. Not to mention very little if any nutritional value for a growing child.

    The problem here is not about a lack of food, but nutritional food. I know from experiance nutrtious food is freaking exspencive.

    My doctor put me on the South Beach Diet. Before that diet we spent about $400.00 a month to feed ourselves. After the diet started or food budget ballooned to almost double. I can't even imagine in this economy and being poor trying to feed a child a healthy diet.

    More is at play here than just irresponsible parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #104
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Two words: Overwhelmed and underfunded because it's not as much a priority as fighting wars in bum f**k Egypt or bailing out Wall Street.
    Well, we're talking about State funding here, not Federal funding. States do not directly fund the U.S. military so I'll disagree to your reasoning of "foreign wars". States are not funded by the Federal Government for DYFS, that's part of the States responsibility, so if they are overworked and underfunded - the reason is not because of foreign wars but because of State prioritization of funds or lack thereof.

    But I agree they ARE overworked and under funded at the State level. So why is that and what are we the people going to do about it? My view is to actually CUT lunch, food stamp and welfare services --- take some of that money and put it towards DYFS at the State levels or allow any federal funding of welfare programs to be used by the States as they see fit. Not cut entirely but put caps on the length of time and put oversight on them to curb abuse. Family's who live off the government must be motivated to become part of society and not a parasite living off the government host.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #105
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The article did not say they were not getting feed, it did say the only "nutritious " meal of the day.
    We then need to understand what constitutes "nutritious". And what if children are getting 0 "nutritious" meals but eat anyway, does that constitute abuse or at best parental negligence? I think so..

    Is McDonalds happy meals "nutritious"? How about a piece of cake? A snickers bar?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    More is at play here than just irresponsible parents.
    Parents are the majority of what is at play here. Children are a responsibility of the parent not the State or state entity / government. If a child cannot get a "nutritious" meal without State funded programs, then the Children need to be moved to a family where they can be fed properly, and the parents can gain time to work out their issues so they can again in some future time, take back their parental responsibility.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #106
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    We then need to understand what constitutes "nutritious". And what if children are getting 0 "nutritious" meals but eat anyway, does that constitute abuse or at best parental negligence? I think so..
    Only an idiot does not know the difference between nutritious and junk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Is McDonalds happy meals "nutritious"? How about a piece of cake? A snickers bar?


    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Parents are the majority of what is at play here. Children are a responsibility of the parent not the State or state entity / government. If a child cannot get a "nutritious" meal without State funded programs, then the Children need to be moved to a family where they can be fed properly, and the parents can gain time to work out their issues so they can again in some future time, take back their parental responsibility.
    OK I guess my argument went right over your head. Poor people trying to provide for the children, who are making an effort should not lose them because they need a little help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #107
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You do know there are poor people in this country right? People who have to chose between $5 of gas to drive to work and $5 to buy something to eat for their kids?
    Sell the car and cancel the insurance. Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    you apparently don't know my neighborhood....snow days are a regular occurence ....and vitamins don't fill up a little kids gut.
    All the more reason to be at least a little prepared.........

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    you apparently don't know my neighborhood....snow days are a regular occurence ....and vitamins don't fill up a little kids gut.
    How do they get fed in the summertime?

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Snow days mean less food for many students

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    A pack of ramen fills the child's stomach up and the childrens multi-vitamin makes up for any missed nutrition.
    That is entirely untrue.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •