Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 296

Thread: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

  1. #181
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Hell yeah!! **** those stuffy Conservatives and their bigoted ideals like "self respect"!!

    You wana be trailer-trash? You go be the best truck-stop cum-dumpster you can be girl!!
    You sound like you grew up in a mobile home park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    We weren't asking for it but certainly made it easy for someone to take advantage of us.
    = "asking for it".

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, Jerry, I've read the thread. You have presented a whole mess of non-logic. The animal analogy, for example. Completely illogical. Animals are instinctual and do not have the ability to reason in the way that a human would. If you poke an animal it will bite... instinctively. If you poke a human it will assess the situation and decide, based on MANY factors whether or not it will respond, and how it will respond. This is just an example of the lack of logic in your argument. Like I said, either you have presented a complete lack of knowledge on this topic, or this is one of your failed "thought experiments". Either way, your argument is illogical, either by design or by lack of information.
    What you're doing here is taking one small snippet of everything I've said on this thread and behaving as though I said nothing else, all while completely ignoring sources linked and failing to provide any of your own.

    I've tried twice now to debate the issue according to sources, but all you see is a dog analogy.

    Why should anyone on this forum ever bother to do anything but troll if that's the example you're going to set?
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-16-10 at 10:47 AM.

  4. #184
    Student Antagony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern England
    Last Seen
    09-13-11 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    278

    Re: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

    Apart from the odd numskull comment, it seems pretty much agreed here that the actions of the victim, however reckless or foolish, should not excuse the perpetration of rape in any way whatsoever. Unfortunately, however, that is not how rape is judged in the real world. The perception that some responsibility lies with the victim is invariably used by defence lawyers to try and mitigate their clients' crimes. Establishing a person's past behaviour as promiscuous--or their behaviour/state of attire at the time of the rape as provocative--can often lead to a complete acquittal for the rapist. In reality, the personal responsibility of the victim is a powerful factor in the minds of jurors and judges.

    So, what to do? To tell the truth I can't decide in my own mind what will best serve justice. On the one hand, it is instinctive to say that courts should prohibit lawyers from presenting anything about the alleged victim which is not related directly to the crime. If a person is dressed or behaving provocatively, that should not be allowed to be admissible evidence. But wait... we have to play the "what if" game here and consider how such a stipulation might affect false charge cases. If the accused is really innocent, are we in danger of stacking the deck against them being found not guilty? Rape is one of those crimes which can rarely be categorically proven one way or the other. It is almost always one person's word against the other's--"it was rape" versus "it was consensual"--and evidence of sexual congress doesn't prove either side. So all that is left is for judges and juries to examine the circumstances and weigh up the characters of the people involved to come to a decision about who is telling the truth. If you take away certain aspects of character examination, are you not favouring the accused over the accuser and thereby increasing the possibility of injustice for the accused? It is an unfortunate fact that too few rapes lead to solid convictions, but even though in most of those cases it probably was rape and not consensual, is it not still better to let ten guilty people go free rather than incarcerate one who is innocent?
    -Ant

    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    -Voltaire

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

    I guess I don't understand why everyone is hung up on the "that doesn't excuse rape" side.

    Well no **** it doesn't excuse rape, so who gives a **** about that topic. It was settled before the thread was opened.

    Certain behaviors do increase the risk of a crime happening to you. Minding those behaviors to lower your risk is only smart, while carelessly disregarding those behaviors is foolish.

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    You sound like you grew up in a mobile home park.
    You sound like you're still living in one

  7. #187
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You sound like you're still living in one
    Ooh, snap!

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XovSI_gSJ4"]YouTube- WWE Raw 2/15/10 Guest Host: Jerry Springer (HD)[/ame]

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    You sound like you grew up in a mobile home park.
    Personal attack....

  10. #190
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Women say some rape victims should take blame - survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    Link

    I seem to remember a time when the mere fact a woman said "no" (and meant "NO") defined the boundaries - whatever the point in time in any sexual liasion. The man going beyond without permission was then commiting rape.

    This latest survey seems to take backward steps for women and rape victims when it is widely acknowledged that prosections for rape in the UK have a poor record.
    It would be interesting to see the wording of the questions asked in the poll. For example, compare compare these two:

    1. Should a woman take precautions to protect herself from being raped by avoiding dangerous situations and behavior?
    2. Does a woman who puts herself in a dangerous situation deserve to be raped?

    I think most people would be much more likely to answer yes to the first question.

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •