Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: States to Senate: Send More Federal Aid

  1. #1
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    States to Senate: Send More Federal Aid

    NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- States are looking to the federal government for more help balancing their budgets, but the Senate is not heeding their call.

    Federal aid to the states was among the top priorities in an early Senate job creation bill, as well as in a $154 billion measure passed by the House in December. But it has fallen off the list as Senate Democrats look to craft legislation that will attract bipartisan support.

    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., on Thursday unveiled a jobs bill that does not contain state aid. A Senate Democratic aide said Reid hopes to back a state aid measure in the future. Republican support, however, remains questionable.

    Experts and state officials say they need to know now whether they'll get more funds. Governors are currently crafting their budgets and, for many, it will be their third year of contending with massive deficits due to declining tax revenues.

    States are looking at a total budget gap of $180 billion for fiscal 2011, which for most of them begins July 1. These cuts could lead to a loss of 900,000 jobs, according to Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Economy.com.
    Senate moves on jobs - but not state rescue - Feb. 13, 2010

    Don't expect any bi-partisan support soon.



    It is still unknown whether a trimmed down jobs bill without aid to states will even pass.

    Hatch Opposes Reid’s Jobs Bill - Washington Wire - WSJ:

    ...Reid surprised his colleagues by stripping the bill of various provisions, such as disaster relief funds for agriculture, leaving only the core job-creation elements, including the Hatch-Schumer proposal. Reid was reacting to protests from Democrats that the Baucus-Grassley measure included too many extraneous provisions designed to win Republican support, but Reid’s abrupt stripping down of the bill angered Republicans.

    Democrats, who now have 59 votes in the Senate - one short of the 60 needed to overcome GOP filibusters - are hoping a handful of Republicans support the stripped-down $15 billion measure, whose elements are popular among lawmakers of both parties.

    ...

    "Leader Reid’s surprising decision to abandon a bipartisan job creation bill is an ominous sign and contradicts the president’s call for both parties to come together. This is not how you legislate in the United States Senate and demonstrates a tremendous arrogance of power.”
    I disagree, it is you who is abandoning bipartisan support.

    “His comments are puzzling at best,” Reid spokesman Jim Manley said Saturday. “After all, his payroll tax exemption is a key part of our package. There is simply no reason, except maybe for political reasons, that this slimmed-down bill focusing specifically on job creation shouldn’t pass with overwhelming bipartisan support.”
    I too, cannot understand why republicans are using the fillibuster on bills that I would label as centrist (and including their own proposals)...

    Senate Republicans: Filibuster everything to win in November? | McClatchy:

    "It strikes me that Democrats are looking for someone to blame for their failed agenda that they can't even get Democrats, let alone the American people, to support," said Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, a 33-year Senate veteran."
    hmm... So the states (who you are supposed to represent) don't want federal aid? Democrats can't blame you for not even voting on your own proposal?

    Budget cuts loom as Utah opens legislative session - BusinessWeek:

    SALT LAKE CITY- Utah lawmakers returned to work Monday focused on looming budget cuts as the state remains in the throes of an economic recession.

    Lawmakers will need to trim about $200 million from the state's $11.3 billion budget in the first few weeks. Once that's completed, they'll get to work on the upcoming budget year that begins July 1, in which there's a $700 million projected shortfall for state programs.
    If Mark Zandi's estimates are correct, the vast majority of state layoffs are still to come. I doubt we can count on the senate to get any aid out in time with the way it is currently operating. So much for good governance. I just hope we don't pull a 1937 and start worrying about the federal debt too soon (oops).

    Premature Exit - Paul Krugman Blog - NYTimes.com

    All I can say is, I am about fed up with the 110th congress.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: States to Senate: Send More Federal Aid

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    Don't expect any bi-partisan support soon.

    Misleading graph. That's not the number of filibustered bills, it's the number of cloture votes, which are invoked by the opposition to the filibusterers. The fact is that it is very, very rare for any bill to pass with less than 60 votes in the Senate. That's true not just now, but it has been for a long long time.



    I too, cannot understand why republicans are using the fillibuster on bills that I would label as centrist (and including their own proposals)...
    Maybe because they don't support them? Nah, that's crazy talk....


    All I can say is, I am about fed up with the 110th congress.

    Then it's a good thing we're past that one, and into the 111th.

  3. #3
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: States to Senate: Send More Federal Aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Misleading graph. That's not the number of filibustered bills, it's the number of cloture votes, which are invoked by the opposition to the filibusterers. The fact is that it is very, very rare for any bill to pass with less than 60 votes in the Senate. That's true not just now, but it has been for a long long time.





    Maybe because they don't support them? Nah, that's crazy talk....





    Then it's a good thing we're past that one, and into the 111th.
    I would understand if they did just not support them. However the Hatch-Schumer proposal is an integral part of the bill, and hatch is voting against it. They should have 60 votes anyways.

    Also the graph shows how many times cloture was invoked, not just how many votes on cloture there were.

    Thanks, 111th, duh.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: States to Senate: Send More Federal Aid

    Screw the graph. What is needed is a trip to the wood shed for all the damn fools in Washington who believe the State budget problems will be suddenly cured with a bail out.

    They have to learn that they CANNOT keep giving out money we don't have to fix problems that will just get worse if they stay on the path of stupidity thinking that raising taxes is going to do anything but make the situation worse.

    Try this on;
    There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

    1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

    2) They MUST buy a new American CAR. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

    3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

    It can't get any easier than that!!


    P. S.. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes...

    Mr. President, while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!
    I only wish I was the Author, I think it makes so much sense.

  5. #5
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: States to Senate: Send More Federal Aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Try this on;

    I only wish I was the Author, I think it makes so much sense.
    Uhh, you should probably run the math on that one my friend. $(40,000,000 * 1,000,000)

    edit: also, you ever check housing prices in New York? After a house and car, at age 50, you aren't making it to 75...
    Last edited by Deuce; 02-14-10 at 12:08 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #6
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: States to Senate: Send More Federal Aid

    Federal aid is a negative to states rights.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #7
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: States to Senate: Send More Federal Aid

    The Republicans won't cooperate because any bipartisan action makes the Democratic Party look better to independents than them. If gridlocks are bad for the country, then they can always fix them once they are in power. That's been their electoral strategy ever since Barack Obama promised bipartisanship. It was always a bad idea for Obama to do that; don't make the premise for your well-being contingent on the accommodations of your opponents.

    Such Machiavellian methods would impress me more if the Republicans could actually fix something. I would say Republicans are good at campaigning, except with their base you don't really have to try.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 02-14-10 at 09:20 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #8
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: States to Senate: Send More Federal Aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The Republicans won't cooperate because any bipartisan action makes the Democratic Party look better to independents than them.
    Not true.

    If gridlocks are bad for the country, then they can always fix them once they are in power. That's been their electoral strategy ever since Barack Obama promised bipartisanship.
    Not true.

    It was always a bad idea for Obama to do that; don't make the premise for your well-being contingent on the accommodations of your opponents.
    Not true.

    Such Machiavellian methods would impress me more if the Republicans could actually fix something. I would say Republicans are good at campaigning, except with their base you don't really have to try.
    Not true.

  9. #9
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: States to Senate: Send More Federal Aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Not true.



    Not true.



    Not true.



    Not true.
    One "not true" would have covered my post.

    Right. You're not really believable. Independents really wanted bipartisanship, Obama promised bipartisanship. Republicans want to beat Obama. What compelling reason do they have to be bipartisan when it makes the Democrats look better than them? After Bush's "take it or leave it" approach, successful bipartisan measures under a Democratic presidency and congress would give the impression Democrats are paragons and Republicans suck.

    Can political parties deliberately pursue strategies that weaken their electoral prospects for the sake of principle? Is being bipartisan really a cherished Republican principle?

    At what point did I go astray?
    Last edited by Morality Games; 02-14-10 at 09:44 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  10. #10
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: States to Senate: Send More Federal Aid

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Federal aid is a negative to states rights.
    Could you please explain this more?

    Also, it would seem if you don't like raising taxes, you would want federal aid, since that most definetly is what many states will probobly be doing to help pay for the budget gap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •