Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 70

Thread: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

  1. #51
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    The People's Republic of Cambridge is demonstrating their blue state mentality.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #52
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    OK, let me say this again then. YOU CAN STILL EAT MEAT ON MONDAYS. The city is just trying to support a different life style choice. They aren't forcing anyone to change anything.

    LaMidRighter, you can tell them to go **** themselves, because plenty people are. But those people also understand it is just about supporting choices and for one or two days out of the month they are trying to get people to try something else.

    Like I said earlier, it isn't that big of a deal and people are making it into something that it isn't. Cambridge isn't forcing anything on anyone aside from having to deal with those Harvard kids.

  3. #53
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    OK, let me say this again then. YOU CAN STILL EAT MEAT ON MONDAYS. The city is just trying to support a different life style choice. They aren't forcing anyone to change anything.

    LaMidRighter, you can tell them to go **** themselves, because plenty people are. But those people also understand it is just about supporting choices and for one or two days out of the month they are trying to get people to try something else.

    Like I said earlier, it isn't that big of a deal and people are making it into something that it isn't. Cambridge isn't forcing anything on anyone aside from having to deal with those Harvard kids.
    It is a big deal, because it sets precedent to encroach on something else relatable.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #54
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    It is a big deal, because it sets precedent to encroach on something else relatable.
    I would agree with that if it looked liked a right was being even close to being taken away. But it isn't. Sorry, I have been over there and I have asked and that is just not what is happening.

  5. #55
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    I would agree with that if it looked liked a right was being even close to being taken away. But it isn't. Sorry, I have been over there and I have asked and that is just not what is happening.
    So none of these taxes are being implimented?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #56
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    So none of these taxes are being implimented?
    Nope. What I was told was that they just want people to try and not eat meat on Mondays.

  7. #57
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    OK, let me say this again then. YOU CAN STILL EAT MEAT ON MONDAYS. The city is just trying to support a different life style choice. They aren't forcing anyone to change anything.

    LaMidRighter, you can tell them to go **** themselves, because plenty people are. But those people also understand it is just about supporting choices and for one or two days out of the month they are trying to get people to try something else.

    Like I said earlier, it isn't that big of a deal and people are making it into something that it isn't. Cambridge isn't forcing anything on anyone aside from having to deal with those Harvard kids.
    Even a soft encroachment is encroachment. While the government in this case may be taking an "advocacy" role, people's diets are none of their business, and it's an insult when some scumbag deigns themselves worthy to suggest to others how they should live, it is the government taking an unwarranted advocacy position for no good reason. So it is a big deal, and as American stated, this is the government of that city dipping it's toe in the water.....so to speak, if it is found it is their business(from their opinion) then eventually it does have the potential to metasticize into something more onerous. And again, those busy bodies have no business in authority if that is how they are going to use it.

    Edit- And if I'm not going to let an individual vegan that I already don't respect what to eat, I'm certainly not going to take it from my employee("Representative")
    Last edited by LaMidRighter; 02-25-10 at 03:02 PM.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #58
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    it's an insult when some scumbag deigns themselves worthy to suggest to others how they should live, it is the government taking an unwarranted advocacy position for no good reason. So it is a big deal, and as American stated, this is the government of that city dipping it's toe in the water.....so to speak, if it is found it is their business(from their opinion) then eventually it does have the potential to metasticize into something more onerous. And again, those busy bodies have no business in authority if that is how they are going to use it.
    Agreed! The government busy bodies have no right to tell us how to live our own lives and make decisions for us!

    Uh, you are talking about abortion, gay marriage and prayer in schools, right?

  9. #59
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Even a soft encroachment is encroachment.
    Communities have the right to self-determination. Only not to the extent that individual self-determination becomes impossible.

    Outlawing or making the punitive tax unaffordable for regular use among the middle income bracket of the community is the only unconstitutional encroachment.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 02-25-10 at 03:09 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  10. #60
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Even a soft encroachment is encroachment. While the government in this case may be taking an "advocacy" role, people's diets are none of their business, and it's an insult when some scumbag deigns themselves worthy to suggest to others how they should live, it is the government taking an unwarranted advocacy position for no good reason. So it is a big deal, and as American stated, this is the government of that city dipping it's toe in the water.....so to speak, if it is found it is their business(from their opinion) then eventually it does have the potential to metasticize into something more onerous. And again, those busy bodies have no business in authority if that is how they are going to use it.

    Edit- And if I'm not going to let an individual vegan that I already don't respect what to eat, I'm certainly not going to take it from my employee("Representative")
    I would agree if the meat was getting an extra tax, but as it stands right now it is just the name of the day.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •