Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 70

Thread: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

  1. #41
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yes, there is a difference between us, you seem to think that I disagree with this tax, because I don't like it. In fact, I would disagree with any tax of this sort that has no other purpose than to punish people for not getting in lockstep with political agenda. Punitive taxes are a violation of my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Not only that, they open the door to an even more tyrannical use of punitive taxes. Much the same way that Hitler placed heavier taxes on Jews. Taxes were then and could very well be again, used to persecute certain groups.
    1. Whenever you have to resort to Hitler, you lose the argument. Seriously, that works on all sides. It shows that you have no concept of degrees, when a tax is comparable to genocide. It just makes you look silly and crazy.

    2. This is similar to taxes on gas, alcohol, and cigarettes, which are higher than regular sales taxes because we want to discourage their usage. It is similar to tax breaks we give people and businesses in order to encourage other things. It has been done in our country for many many years -- even at a time when we were fighting that Hitler guy you mentioned -- and somehow, despite all this, we still aren't killing Jews.

  2. #42
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    1. Whenever you have to resort to Hitler, you lose the argument. Seriously, that works on all sides. It shows that you have no concept of degrees, when a tax is comparable to genocide. It just makes you look silly and crazy.

    2. This is similar to taxes on gas, alcohol, and cigarettes, which are higher than regular sales taxes because we want to discourage their usage. It is similar to tax breaks we give people and businesses in order to encourage other things. It has been done in our country for many many years -- even at a time when we were fighting that Hitler guy you mentioned -- and somehow, despite all this, we still aren't killing Jews.
    I was using an historical fact to illustrate a point. I'm sorry that history foils most Leftist arguments. I can't help that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #43
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Does Godwin's law apply to Czar Nicholas, as well?

    In the 1840s, a network of special schools was created for the Jews since they had not availed themselves of the opportunity established in 1804 to study in the regular schools. These schools were paid for by a special tax imposed on the Jews. In 1844, a decree was established that the teachers would be both Christians and Jews. The Jewish community viewed the government’s attempt to set up these schools as a way of secularizing and assimilating the younger generation. Their fears were not unfounded as the decree to require Christian teachers was accompanied by the declaration that "the purpose of the education of the Jews is to bring them nearer to the Christians and to uproot their harmful beliefs which are influenced by the Talmud."

    The Virtual Jewish History Tour - Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #44
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #45
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Mussolini placed a punitive tax on bachelors and male celebacy. Get the picture yet?

    Making the fascist self: the ... - Google Books

    Ain't it amazing how much Liberals have in common with some of the most evil dictators in history?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #46
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    I'm sure you would be cool with using punitive taxes as a way to return to the company store system. Yes?

    Much like a serf renting/sharecropping land owned by a manor-house or nobility, the plantation worker needed to borrow money to buy food and other necessities at the company store, which just happened to operate as a monopoly and just happened to charge skyhigh prices. (The serf needed to borrow seed for the next planting, and money to buy food for the family in between harvests.) The rate of interest paid by the serf/worker was always much higher than market rates--another monopoly capital (and highly profitable) feature of the set-up.

    The system's most pernicious feature: the worker/serf never escaped debt. Indeed, the system was constructed to increase the debt to the point it could never be paid off, insuring a lifetime of profitable servitude to the nobility/corporation.

    charles hugh smith-The Company Store, Debt and Serfdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #47
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    The government might tax meat. THAT IS THE SAME AS HITL- I MEAN STALIN!

    edit: You know who also took away rights of homosexuals?

    Isn't it amazing how much conservatives have in common with history's worst dictators?

    For $*$%s sake, enough with those comparisons. They're putting you in danger of Conspiracy Theory subforuming.
    Last edited by Deuce; 02-15-10 at 06:40 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #48
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ya know, it helps if you actually keep up with what's being discussed in the thread.

    1) I never said that there was such a tax for vegans. I turned the tables to see if Groucho would be as acceptable to such a tax as he is to the meat eaters tax. But, changing direction to avoid the subject comes as no surprise.
    Turning the tables means the reverse. You said,
    "Would you agree with a punitive tax placed on vegins for not eating enough beef?"

    Using that example implies that someone is taking the position for the opposite.

    2) Anytime a person is punished--such as with a punitive tax on food--to promote an agenda, then liberties are in jeapordy. Hence the reason I asked if a punitive tax on vegans would be cool. Would it?
    I see it no different than traffic fines, or cigarette taxes, or what I would like to see a tax on food with corn sweeteners. These taxes have been known to reduce unhealthy behavior that lowers death rates and improves health thereby lowering medical costs.

    Seems to be a healthy way of replacing some of the tax revenues lost by Reagan and W's tax cuts, but I'm good with going back to taxing the wealthy at the higher previous rates if you prefer instead.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #49
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    So the city is politely asking people to "try" veganism. My response is to politely tell them "go **** yourself" with the business end of a red-hot branding iron just before trying cyanide. I truly hate these piece of **** nanny staters more than I thought was ever humanly possible and I hope their line of thinking goes the way of the dodo bird, quietly, with no fanfare, and before anyone even knows it's gone.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Last Seen
    02-25-10 @ 06:20 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    52

    Re: Harvard Hometown Plans Coercive Taxes, Veganism to Stop Climate 'Emergency'

    Liberals crack me up, they are so far out there.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •