Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Retail sales gains in January could boost growth

  1. #1
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Retail sales gains in January could boost growth

    Retail sales gains in January could boost growth - Yahoo! News

    AP 1 pm est

    A modestly better-than-expected report on retail sales for January could suggest stronger economic growth in coming months.

    The 0.5 percent gain reported Friday by the Commerce Department exceeded the 0.3 percent increase economists had expected.

    Strength came from a surge at general merchandise stores. These include big national chains such as those owned by Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Excluding autos, sales posted a 0.6 percent reading, also better than expected.
    The story goes on the make the point that this is a very minor bit of good news, and that there are lots of reasons to think it is far too early to say "recovery", but it is a bit of good news. It is certainly better than the news could be.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #2
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Retail sales gains in January could boost growth

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Retail sales gains in January could boost growth - Yahoo! News



    The story goes on the make the point that this is a very minor bit of good news, and that there are lots of reasons to think it is far too early to say "recovery", but it is a bit of good news. It is certainly better than the news could be.
    As a manager of an HVAC company, I can tell you first hand that the only reason we are selling any systems right now is because of the Obama stimulus, and people looking for that $1,500.00 tax break. Companies are also selling energy efficient appliances and other items that are giving customers tax breaks. This makes the recovery only superficial. Once the stimulus ends, on January 1st, 2011, this will all go away. If the economy is still mired down, then either the government will have to keep propping it up, or sales will once again slide down to realisitic figures. At any rate, IMHO, based on my own experience, this "bit of good news" is somewhat misleading.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Retail sales gains in January could boost growth

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Retail sales gains in January could boost growth - Yahoo! News

    The story goes on the make the point that this is a very minor bit of good news, and that there are lots of reasons to think it is far too early to say "recovery", but it is a bit of good news. It is certainly better than the news could be.
    I saw on the news that all the snow was keeping people from shopping and numbers were down. But someone added that the purchases were just being postponed.

  4. #4
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Retail sales gains in January could boost growth

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    As a manager of an HVAC company, I can tell you first hand that the only reason we are selling any systems right now is because of the Obama stimulus, and people looking for that $1,500.00 tax break. Companies are also selling energy efficient appliances and other items that are giving customers tax breaks. This makes the recovery only superficial. Once the stimulus ends, on January 1st, 2011, this will all go away. If the economy is still mired down, then either the government will have to keep propping it up, or sales will once again slide down to realisitic figures. At any rate, IMHO, based on my own experience, this "bit of good news" is somewhat misleading.
    That is actually covered in the article linked.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •