Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Judge in high-profile (California) Prop 8 case is gay

  1. #21
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Judge in high-profile (California) Prop 8 case is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If the judge was very vocal about being anti-gay marriage, would any of the pro-gay-marriage folks have a problem with that?
    Of course I would have a problem with that. But that's not a good analogy, because he hasn't been very vocal in SUPPORT of gay marriage. He's just gay. You're making ASSUMPTIONS about his legal views based on that.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #22
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Judge in high-profile (California) Prop 8 case is gay

    It's an interesting article. My gut reaction is: so what. But, upon reading the article, it's not just conflict of interest, but appearance of conflict of interest that matters. The people must have faith in the decisions - having two orders reversed by higher courts is playing into the perceived bias in favor of one side.

    The last five paragraphs were thought-provoking. I still think he didn't need to recuse himself, but I'm less certain of that opinion now.


    In the end though, this case will definitely go on to further appeals no matter how it comes out.
    Tiki Bar! Woot!
    Drinks are plenty, music is fine, and the company is first-rate

  3. #23
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Judge in high-profile (California) Prop 8 case is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderRabbit08 View Post
    Absolutely right. If a gay judge is going to side with gay marriage, then a straight judge is going to side with straight marriage.

    Who's left?
    Hermaphrodites?

  4. #24
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge in high-profile (California) Prop 8 case is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    It's an interesting article. My gut reaction is: so what. But, upon reading the article, it's not just conflict of interest, but appearance of conflict of interest that matters. The people must have faith in the decisions - having two orders reversed by higher courts is playing into the perceived bias in favor of one side.

    The last five paragraphs were thought-provoking. I still think he didn't need to recuse himself, but I'm less certain of that opinion now.


    In the end though, this case will definitely go on to further appeals no matter how it comes out.
    Remember that it is a Baptist Press article. While I agree that it is a decent article, and I have no facts to contradict them, I am going to patiently watch things a bit, since I am not overly confident that the article is the whole story. I could be wrong, it's just a feeling I have.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Judge in high-profile (California) Prop 8 case is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderRabbit08 View Post
    Absolutely right. If a gay judge is going to side with gay marriage, then a straight judge is going to side with straight marriage.

    Who's left?
    Hmmm....I'm normal, and I find no validity to arguments opposing same-sex marriage.

    HOWEVER....the queer judge has an obvious potential bias that in an honorable man would have led him to recuse himself from this case. He did not recuse himself, therefore he is not honorable, and if the verdict on this case is to throw Proposition 8 out, yet once again the Right will be absolutely correct in saying the will of the people was overturned by one biased unelected individual.

    Prop 8 should be overturned.

    It should be overturned without the slightest taint of impropriety.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Judge in high-profile (California) Prop 8 case is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So would you be saying the same thing if it the Judge was Christian?
    Look at all the BS they threw at Ashcroft.

    The tactic of the Left is to destroy those they did not defeat.

  7. #27
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Judge in high-profile (California) Prop 8 case is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Hmmm....I'm normal, and I find no validity to arguments opposing same-sex marriage.

    HOWEVER....the queer judge has an obvious potential bias that in an honorable man would have led him to recuse himself from this case. He did not recuse himself, therefore he is not honorable, and if the verdict on this case is to throw Proposition 8 out, yet once again the Right will be absolutely correct in saying the will of the people was overturned by one biased unelected individual.

    Prop 8 should be overturned.

    It should be overturned without the slightest taint of impropriety.
    If he was christian would you say he should excuse himself for that reason?

    Edit: saw you answered while I was typing my response. Got it. So would you say Ashcroft and this are comparable?
    Last edited by the makeout hobo; 02-10-10 at 05:01 PM.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  8. #28
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,795

    Re: Judge in high-profile (California) Prop 8 case is gay

    The only judge capable of ruling with no bias is a eunich!

  9. #29
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    08-26-17 @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    192

    Re: Judge in high-profile (California) Prop 8 case is gay

    just can't stop smiling about this

    so so so gay advocate backdoor lawyerly

    thankyou thankyou thankyou San Francisco Chronicle

    what a huge tactible public media blunder

    recuse me recuse me recuuuuuuse me!

  10. #30
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Judge in high-profile (California) Prop 8 case is gay

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Because, he's going to side in the way that benefits him most.
    Well said. They wouldn't let a white racist on a jury involving the case of a black, why would they let a gay marriage proponent be a judge in a case regarding a gay marriage ban? This presents a seriously conflict of interest.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •