Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 120

Thread: U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alphabet'

  1. #101
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alpha

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i didn't see the over the top behavior you've described. i saw some opinions which were most certainly elicited by the verbiage in the article.
    Really? You didn't? Because you responded to one that had just that

    ....I think we have to recognize that these are the costs that we as a society pay when we overtax our military and send men/women into mission after mission
    Here's a poster direclty stating that THESE, IE this very action, is the COST of overtaxed military. This is a poster completely and wholey making baseless accusations against the military and about this situation claiming that this "Cost" was due to this man being in an overtaxed military.

    where they are taught these types of things and are told by many that it is not torture and that it is an appropriate use of punishment.
    And here, in the same post that you quoted, is the person making an accusation that the man was taught "these type of things" (Really? He was taught a common tactic is to submerge peoples heads in water repeatedly as a "punishment"?). He even goes on to suggest that its TAUGHT in our military that submerging peoples heads, or even if he misread it like I did that waterboarding, is "appropriate use of punishment" in our military. Not a method of information extraction but punishment. I mean, apparently by this posters accusations, our military is regularly taught that if someone does something bad waterboarding is approrpiate punishment. Baseless, worthless accusations with NOTHING to back it up.

    Lets continue.

    I'm afraid that like Vietnam...we will be paying the costs of GWB's wars in many many many ways like this.
    Again, the person AGAIN makes the claim that the war itself is the cause of this.

    This is only one post and its one YOU actually quoted. If you didn't see any over the top behavior its because you have your eyes closed or you're to blinded by your partisanship and your own hatred for the act to view the situation with any ounce of intellectual honesty.

    and the soldier clearly has mental issues, caused by deployment or not.
    Yes, I agree, he likely does have mental issues. Unlike others though I'm not going to IMMEDIETELY claim its because he was taught waterboarding is normal punishment by our military and that those mental issues are there becuase we "overtaxed" him. But apparently that's not an "over the top" accusation....

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alpha

    Problem #1


  3. #103
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alpha

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Really? You didn't? Because you responded to one that had just that



    Here's a poster direclty stating that THESE, IE this very action, is the COST of overtaxed military. This is a poster completely and wholey making baseless accusations against the military and about this situation claiming that this "Cost" was due to this man being in an overtaxed military.



    And here, in the same post that you quoted, is the person making an accusation that the man was taught "these type of things" (Really? He was taught a common tactic is to submerge peoples heads in water repeatedly as a "punishment"?). He even goes on to suggest that its TAUGHT in our military that submerging peoples heads, or even if he misread it like I did that waterboarding, is "appropriate use of punishment" in our military. Not a method of information extraction but punishment. I mean, apparently by this posters accusations, our military is regularly taught that if someone does something bad waterboarding is approrpiate punishment. Baseless, worthless accusations with NOTHING to back it up.

    Lets continue.



    Again, the person AGAIN makes the claim that the war itself is the cause of this.

    This is only one post and its one YOU actually quoted. If you didn't see any over the top behavior its because you have your eyes closed or you're to blinded by your partisanship and your own hatred for the act to view the situation with any ounce of intellectual honesty.



    Yes, I agree, he likely does have mental issues. Unlike others though I'm not going to IMMEDIETELY claim its because he was taught waterboarding is normal punishment by our military and that those mental issues are there becuase we "overtaxed" him. But apparently that's not an "over the top" accusation....
    i don't see where anyone went over the top. we will be paying the costs of war, as i also asserted.

    i also never claimed this happened because the guy was in a war, although it is certainly possible.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #104
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alpha

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i don't see where anyone went over the top. we will be paying the costs of war, as i also asserted.
    But the person in the very same breath said THIS action by this man was us "paying the cost"

    Without ANY evidence of that, at all.

    That's not over the top?

    i also never claimed this happened because the guy was in a war, although it is certainly possible.
    You never claimed it, but people in this thread HAVE claimed it. Yet you say you've seen "no over the top" statements.

  5. #105
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alpha

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    But the person in the very same breath said THIS action by this man was us "paying the cost"

    Without ANY evidence of that, at all.

    That's not over the top?



    You never claimed it, but people in this thread HAVE claimed it. Yet you say you've seen "no over the top" statements.
    you're right, he has no evidence. he's assuming something. but i still don't believe this over the top hyper partisan stuff, because what he puts forward could easily be true.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #106
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alpha

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It is not illegal to waterboard people.

    Waterboarding is still an option - Los Angeles Times



    So what exactly is your point? That it was done to some kid? Reap what you sow I guess.



    So then waterboarding is illegal? Either it is legal to engage in it or it is not.
    It is illegal to force a 4 year old to drink booze until she throws up, but liquor is itself legal. Whether or not waterboarding is legal, using it on a kid definitely is. I maintain that waterboarding, in any form, is illegal. Hell, we put away Japanese generals who engaged in waterboarding our soldiers, after the end of WWII. But, just for the sake of argument, even if waterboarding was legal, it would still be a crime to subject a child to it.

    As for the inference that the man waterboarded his child because he learned it in the military, that is complete BS. Rather than argue whether or not he learned waterboarding in the military, let's assume he did. In that case, we can draw from another analogy. Soldiers learn to fire their weapons in the military, but if a soldier should go off the reservation and begin shooting people, once he is back in civilian life, he has committed a crime, and should pay for that crime. By the same token, civilians who shoot up the neighborhood likewise pay for their crimes. Since both soldiers and civilians occasionally shoot up neighborhoods, then learning it in the military is not the common denominator, is it? Seems that the common denominator is that both civilian and soldier have a criminal mind, and a flaw in their personality to begin with. So what can we deduce from this argument? That the man who waterboarded his child was a dirt bag already, and the military training had absolutely nothing to do with it.

    If you still want to argue that I am wrong at this point, then we can blame anything on everything. I hear that John Wayne Gacy was once in the Boy Scouts, so that must mean what he learned in the Boy Scouts is responsible for his mass killing of little boys. Or how about this one? A guy goes to the death house for robbing a store and shooting to death the owner of the store. No, it's not his fault at all. It's all the fault of guns. But where did he learn to shoot his gun? The NRA, you say? Damn, it's all the NRA's fault.

    Here is what I think we should do - Give this dirt bag some psychiatric treatment, because something is seriously wrong with him..... In addition, give him some years in prison to reflect upon what he did. But put the blame where it lies, not on the military, not on deficiencies in his upbringing, if there were any, not on his not getting a pacifier as a baby, if that was the problem, but on HIM. HE committed the act. The blame is HIS and nobody else's.
    Last edited by danarhea; 02-12-10 at 03:21 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #107
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alpha

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    you're right, he has no evidence. he's assuming something. but i still don't believe this over the top hyper partisan stuff, because what he puts forward could easily be true.
    I heard this guy was male. Obviously THIS is what we get for having males in society where they are so overtaxed by the burdens of their maleness. We will be paying for having males around for years to come with things like this.

    Wait...he had a daughter, that would mean....

    I heard this guy had sex with a women. Obvious THIS is what happen when we have females in our society causing mens labidos to be so overtaxed. We will be paying for the femine wiles of women for years to come with things like this.

    Wait...he's human, so he drinks water. That would mena...

    I heard this guy actually drinks H2O. Obviously THIS is what happens when we have humans overtaxing their bodies with excess H20. We will be paying for the horrors of our dihydrogen monoxide dependency for years to come with things like this.

    Hey, I don't have any evidence and I'm just making assumptions, but of course its not outrageous of me to claim as fact that those are the causes, I mean its at least possible because hey, he did those things, so naturally they COULD be a cause.


  8. #108
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alpha

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Whether or not waterboarding is legal, using it on a kid definitely is.
    I realize that this was a mistake, but I did a serious double take when I read it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #109
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alpha

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I heard this guy was male. Obviously THIS is what we get for having males in society where they are so overtaxed by the burdens of their maleness. We will be paying for having males around for years to come with things like this.

    Wait...he had a daughter, that would mean....

    I heard this guy had sex with a women. Obvious THIS is what happen when we have females in our society causing mens labidos to be so overtaxed. We will be paying for the femine wiles of women for years to come with things like this.

    Wait...he's human, so he drinks water. That would mena...

    I heard this guy actually drinks H2O. Obviously THIS is what happens when we have humans overtaxing their bodies with excess H20. We will be paying for the horrors of our dihydrogen monoxide dependency for years to come with things like this.

    Hey, I don't have any evidence and I'm just making assumptions, but of course its not outrageous of me to claim as fact that those are the causes, I mean its at least possible because hey, he did those things, so naturally they COULD be a cause.

    except there are no stats to support water causing a person to torture their daughter, nor are there stats to support anything you mentioned. there are, however, statistics to support PTSD, which could certainly be a cause of the behavior.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #110
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: U.S. soldier 'waterboarded his own daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alpha

    A significant percentage of the male pouplation drinks, and its shown that a percentage of people that drink can be violent. Why didn't Disney rail against that a possability?

    A part of the population, in general, has rage and anger issues. That could've caused it. Why didn't Disney rail against that possability?

    A part of the population, in general, has mental issues. That could've caused it. Why didn't Disney rail against that possability?

    A part of the population was abused as children leadin to being poor parents themselves. That could've causd it. Why didn't Disney rail against that possability.

    And through all those, why didn't Disney state with certainty and definitiveness that those are the reasons?

    Why? Because that didn't suit his political agenda and his hyper partisan desire to get on a soap box and use this situation for all its worth to push his bone to pick. But of course, its one you agree with, so naturally you don't see anything "over the top" about it, because apparently to you its completely reasonable and understandable to not assume, but to state as if its fact, that the military, GWB, and our stance on waterboarding caused this man to push his daughters face into a bowl of water.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •