Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 247

Thread: Outspoken gay activist called back to active Army duty

  1. #111
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Outspoken gay activist called back to active Army duty

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    While I agree that I can't think of a legal precedence for this, I am almost positive that this happened at the highest levels. Choi has been the most outspoken opponent of DADT and has been on the national stage about the issue.

    It is not an accident that he was re-called.
    There's no doubt that word came from high up the ladder. However, no one in the chain of command has the authority to just kick the law aside and do what they want.

    I'm betting that this was done, just to see check the fall out. If there isn't an excessive amount of flack because of it, then the avenue of approach to allowing gays to serve openly in the military will be to just simply ignore the law.
    Last edited by apdst; 02-10-10 at 10:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #112
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: Outspoken gay activist called back to active Army duty

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Confederates were greatly outnumbered in most engagements...and still came damn close to winning the war.
    I found it humourous.

  3. #113
    User towski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-27-10 @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    52

    Re: Outspoken gay activist called back to active Army duty

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    Are you here to discuss this topic or to attack me?
    Ah, here comes the persecution complex again.

    As for the rest of your argument, that you posted further down the thread, I have to say you aren't doing much to help make your case. The fact that god (or natural selection, for that matter) created men with a penis and women with a vagina has absolutely NOTHING to do with the civil rights struggles of the United States.
    Last edited by towski; 02-10-10 at 10:47 AM.

  4. #114
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Outspoken gay activist called back to active Army duty

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    This is like saying that before desegregation, when blacks couldn't serve in combat units in the U.S. military, it was their fault that they couldn't fight because if they really wanted to fight they wouldn't have been born black.
    Apples to oranges comparison again. The blacks were born that way. Gays are not. It is something they make a choice to be.

    Regarding civil rights, blacks couldn't hide the fact that they were black, but gays could hide their gayness, so what civil rights have gays ever been denied?

  5. #115
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Outspoken gay activist called back to active Army duty

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    Apples to oranges comparison again. The blacks were born that way. Gays are not. It is something they make a choice to be.

    Regarding civil rights, blacks couldn't hide the fact that they were black, but gays could hide their gayness, so what civil rights have gays ever been denied?
    So why can I do something a woman can not do? That is not equal rights.

  6. #116
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Outspoken gay activist called back to active Army duty

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Good thing we are changing such a dumb law. You can do that when a law causes more harm than good.
    Repealing the law is going to cause more harm than good.

  7. #117
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Outspoken gay activist called back to active Army duty

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Because most of those Log Cabin Republicans are fiscal conservatives or paleo-conservatives, not social or religious conservatives. Just because a person is a conservative doesn't mean they agree with all other conservative philosophies.
    Actually, they are conservatives in name, only.

  8. #118
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Outspoken gay activist called back to active Army duty

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So why can I do something a woman can not do? That is not equal rights.
    What? Stand up and pee?

  9. #119
    User towski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-27-10 @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    52

    Re: Outspoken gay activist called back to active Army duty

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    Apples to oranges comparison again. The blacks were born that way. Gays are not. It is something they make a choice to be.
    That's a matter of some debate, as you well know.

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    Regarding civil rights, blacks couldn't hide the fact that they were black, but gays could hide their gayness, so what civil rights have gays ever been denied?
    That's sort of the point of civil rights, Bicycleman. NOT having to hide...

  10. #120
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Outspoken gay activist called back to active Army duty

    Quote Originally Posted by towski View Post
    That's a matter of some debate, as you well know.



    That's sort of the point of civil rights, Bicycleman. NOT having to hide...
    I understand your point, but if one keeps his mouth shut about his preferences, he doesn't have to worry about his or her civil rights. He never lost them because they have always been there.

    What's next civil rights for child molesters?

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •