Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 173

Thread: Economy Sheds 20,000 Jobs But Rate Drops to 9.7 Percent

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Economy Sheds 20,000 Jobs But Rate Drops to 9.7 Percent

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Prove he is not credible.
    From post 25 and 109


    The number of Americans filing for initial unemployment insurance rose last week, the government said Thursday.

    There were 480,000 initial jobless claims filed in the week ended Jan. 30, the Labor Department said in a weekly report. This is the highest level since Dec. 12 and up 8,000 from an upwardly revised 472,000 the previous week.


    Economists were expecting claims to drop to 455,000, according to a consensus estimate from Briefing.com.

    The 4-week moving average of initial claims was 468,750, up 11,750 from the previous week's revised average of 457,000.



    The drop in percent unemployed is due to those who have given up looking for a Job.

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Economy Sheds 20,000 Jobs But Rate Drops to 9.7 Percent

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Oh look the Dow is up again... no comment.
    Had to wait that long. Notice so is Oil and Gas

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Economy Sheds 20,000 Jobs But Rate Drops to 9.7 Percent

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Hello, were you alive the last 8 years? We are where we are because of the corporatists. The capitalists are all running small businesses.
    I have had 401k many years and the last quarter was the worst I ever had. I gained just over a dollar.

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Economy Sheds 20,000 Jobs But Rate Drops to 9.7 Percent

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The market hit record levels under Bush, but we were all suffering, then. Remember that?
    Yeah, I do remember he did nothing to prevent 9/11. I do remember how he had to send out checks to stimulate his failing economy. I do remember how he and his congress did nothing to prevent or stop the housing bubble which was the only thing keeping his economic illusion from crashing down around his feet until his last year in office. I do remember a rapidly inflating deficit. I do remember stagnant wages. I do remember a shrinking middle class. I do remember 2 unnecessary wars being started without a tax increase to fund them for the first time in American history. I do remember people increasing productivity while getting less compensation... I remember a lot of things about the Bush years and none of them are good memories.

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Economy Sheds 20,000 Jobs But Rate Drops to 9.7 Percent

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    I have had 401k many years and the last quarter was the worst I ever had. I gained just over a dollar.
    Either your 401k is not invested in the stock market or you're a liar because the Dow and the Nasdaq hit it's lowest numbers on march 6th 2009.

  6. #146
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Economy Sheds 20,000 Jobs But Rate Drops to 9.7 Percent

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    From post 25 and 109


    The number of Americans filing for initial unemployment insurance rose last week, the government said Thursday.

    There were 480,000 initial jobless claims filed in the week ended Jan. 30, the Labor Department said in a weekly report. This is the highest level since Dec. 12 and up 8,000 from an upwardly revised 472,000 the previous week.


    Economists were expecting claims to drop to 455,000, according to a consensus estimate from Briefing.com.

    The 4-week moving average of initial claims was 468,750, up 11,750 from the previous week's revised average of 457,000.



    The drop in percent unemployed is due to those who have given up looking for a Job.
    This proves nothing. You should read. The unemployment survey and the employment survey are two different ones. Therefore they are not always the same, though they usually do correlate. The employment survey is much larger so it is probobly more accurate. The drop in the percent of unemployment has nothing to do with people giving up looking for work, it has to do with a divergence between the surveys. The surveys are an estimate of what is happening in the general population, becuase they do not survey everyone in america (duh).

    Your right there were more unemployment claims this week (actually for the past three weeks), no economist is disputing that (including krugman). Here is another piece of the puzzle.

    "The Employment-Population ratio ticked up slightly to 58.4% in January, after plunging since the start of the recession. This is about the same level as in 1983." -Calculated Risk

    There are a bunch of statistics that we can use to try to get an idea of what the job market looks like. Thats why we have all of these differnet surveys, to try and get the best etimate of the entire U.S. population.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Economy Sheds 20,000 Jobs But Rate Drops to 9.7 Percent

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Either your 401k is not invested in the stock market or you're a liar because the Dow and the Nasdaq hit it's lowest numbers on march 6th 2009.
    I have it divided in 10 different places. Some radical some conservative. it has always done fair until this last quarter.

    believe what you want

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Economy Sheds 20,000 Jobs But Rate Drops to 9.7 Percent

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    This proves nothing. You should read. The unemployment survey and the employment survey are two different ones. Therefore they are not always the same, though they usually do correlate. The employment survey is much larger so it is probobly more accurate. The drop in the percent of unemployment has nothing to do with people giving up looking for work, it has to do with a divergence between the surveys. The surveys are an estimate of what is happening in the general population, becuase they do not survey everyone in america (duh).

    Your right there were more unemployment claims this week (actually for the past three weeks), no economist is disputing that (including krugman). Here is another piece of the puzzle.

    "The Employment-Population ratio ticked up slightly to 58.4% in January, after plunging since the start of the recession. This is about the same level as in 1983." -Calculated Risk

    There are a bunch of statistics that we can use to try to get an idea of what the job market looks like. Thats why we have all of these differnet surveys, to try and get the best etimate of the entire U.S. population.
    So more unemployment checks equal the percentage going down?

  9. #149
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Economy Sheds 20,000 Jobs But Rate Drops to 9.7 Percent

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    So more unemployment checks equal the percentage going down?
    No, I didn't say that and neither did krugman. I simply told you why the numbers seem to contradict each other. Like I said, you should read!

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Economy Sheds 20,000 Jobs But Rate Drops to 9.7 Percent

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    No, I didn't say that and neither did krugman. I simply told you why the numbers seem to contradict each other. Like I said, you should read!
    Here is what you said

    Your right there were more unemployment claims this week (actually for the past three weeks)

    Yet the percent unemployed went down.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •